Exemption from conscript on the basis of age

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
Roger_1

Post by Roger_1 » Sat Nov 19, 2016 2:18 pm

Hi,

As i got my Finnish citizen decision and I was about to apply for passport. However, I will be 29 on February 2017. I called other day to ask about my status, will I get exemption. The authorities said, I will get the exemption probably, however, I ask them to write something or give me exemption certificate in order to apply for passport.

He was confuse that there are no exemption certificate as such, he suggested me to apply for passport, police will contact us and we will tell them that we have no problem and they can issue you passport. However, if I apply online for passport, it clearly says, I have to submit something from military services with application, as I am below 30.

Anyone who has gone through this "Exemption from Conscript" on the basis of age? what should I ask them to write me, any Finnish name for that Form or certificate? Any suggestion will be highly appreciated.

BR

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

betelgeuse

Re: Exemption from conscript on the basis of age

Post by betelgeuse » Sat Nov 19, 2016 2:52 pm

Roger_1 wrote: As i got my Finnish citizen decision and I was about to apply for passport. However, I will be 29 on February 2017.
This means you are not too old for conscription. The duty ends at the end of the year during which you turn 30. This means for you end of 2018.

http://www.finlex.fi/fi/laki/ajantasa/2 ... 1438#L5P37
Roger_1 wrote: Anyone who has gone through this "Exemption from Conscript" on the basis of age? what should I ask them to write me, any Finnish name for that Form or certificate? Any suggestion will be highly appreciated.
The list of accepted documents is here:

http://www.finlex.fi/fi/laki/ajantasa/2 ... 60671#L2P8

Rip

Post by Rip » Sat Nov 19, 2016 3:16 pm

You can try if you can start the process online (without that document). You won't be able to get your first passport anyway without also actually visiting a police station.

Roger_1

Post by Roger_1 » Sat Nov 19, 2016 4:01 pm

Rip wrote:You can try if you can start the process online (without that document). You won't be able to get your first passport anyway without also actually visiting a police station.
Thanx Betelguese..

Rip : Yea, I know I have to visit for that and that is not the problem. The only thing I was confuse about that certificate from the conscript authority before application. Let see if anyone come up on the group with the same sort of experience.

Cheers mate!!

Rosamunda

Post by Rosamunda » Sat Nov 19, 2016 7:42 pm

But does the passport make any difference? You have been granted citizenship...

Pursuivant

Post by Pursuivant » Sat Nov 19, 2016 10:23 pm

They'll send you a letter to attend the next draft board, and you can say to the doctor you have self-troubling homosexuality
"By the pricking of my thumbs,
Something wicked this way comes."

Pursuivant

Post by Pursuivant » Sat Nov 19, 2016 10:26 pm

No, Rosamunda, you need to have a "military card"/"civil service card"/"jail release" to get a passport when you are in "conscript age"... military passport, pink "deffered", green "exempted"...
"By the pricking of my thumbs,
Something wicked this way comes."

Roger_1

Post by Roger_1 » Sat Nov 19, 2016 10:48 pm

Pursuivant wrote:They'll send you a letter to attend the next draft board, and you can say to the doctor you have self-troubling homosexuality
Thanx for your reply. I think I don't need to say any such thing. I will request them on the basis that I am 29. If they accept it, well and good, otherwise will have to do military service. But as per telephonic conversation, I feel I have strong case.

All I am curious to know, any one got exemption on the basis of 29 age figure.

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Sun Nov 20, 2016 1:10 am

Roger_1 wrote:All I am curious to know, any one got exemption on the basis of 29 age figure.
It's not a valid legal reason to get an exemption so would be really interesting to find someone like that. The only thing that can legally happen is that they don't actively pursue you and you become too old for service.
Pursuivant wrote:They'll send you a letter to attend the next draft board, and you can say to the doctor you have self-troubling homosexuality
People who get citizenship after becoming 18 are not part of the draft.
Kutsunnanalainen ei ole henkilö, joka on saanut Suomen kansalaisuuden tai päätöksen kansalaisuudesta sinä vuonna, jona hän täyttää 18 vuotta tai sen vuoden jälkeen. Hänet voidaan kuitenkin määrätä tarkastettavaksi 26 §:n mukaan.
http://www.finlex.fi/fi/laki/ajantasa/2 ... 1438#L3P13

Presumably they can tell the police that they don't intend to do the inspection and the passport can be issued. However, this means they are still legally allowed to change their minds about conscription later.

nikkon

Post by nikkon » Mon Nov 21, 2016 5:26 pm

betelgeuse, if people who get citizenship after becoming 18 are not part of the draft, how do they find out about call-up? should i contact them myself, or they will send some papers eventually?

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:05 pm

nikkon wrote:betelgeuse, if people who get citizenship after becoming 18 are not part of the draft, how do they find out about call-up? should i contact them myself, or they will send some papers eventually?
They have a right to get information from Migri. I don't know the details of how the system works but you have no duty to be active. You should if you are interested in influencing the process.

Roger_1

Post by Roger_1 » Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:37 pm

nikkon wrote:betelgeuse, if people who get citizenship after becoming 18 are not part of the draft, how do they find out about call-up? should i contact them myself, or they will send some papers eventually?
Hay,

You mean below 30 like my case then I can guide you. I ask from administration, they said they update their system once a month and then they see the cases of new citizens also and send the documents by mail. You don't need to do anything. As Migri system get updated much quick then theirs. They will send papers in first week of January 2017.

Br,

nikkon

Post by nikkon » Tue Nov 22, 2016 11:30 am

Roger_1 wrote:
Hay,

You mean below 30 like my case then I can guide you. I ask from administration, they said they update their system once a month and then they see the cases of new citizens also and send the documents by mail. You don't need to do anything. As Migri system get updated much quick then theirs. They will send papers in first week of January 2017.

Br,
Yes, i am below 30. I have still plenty of time to serve and will go there anyway. I just wanted to clarify, because i heard stories that people get call-up almost immediately after the citizenship was granted, i've got the decision in the middle of summer, but still did not get anything, i guess papers will come in January 2017.

Roger_1

Post by Roger_1 » Tue Nov 22, 2016 8:33 pm

Hay,

I got the response. As they think 29 is still the age where I can do the military exercise. Without medical reason, once has to do before 30. They will send documents in February, I wonder do I have to start right from the day.

What is the approximate month for the next session?
BR

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:53 pm

Roger_1 wrote: I got the response. As they think 29 is still the age where I can do the military exercise. Without medical reason, once has to do before 30. They will send documents in February, I wonder do I have to start right from the day.

What is the approximate month for the next session?
Service starts either in January or July. Probably the July batch for you then.