unemployment benefits

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
san_student

unemployment benefits

Post by san_student » Sat Nov 26, 2016 5:43 pm

deleted
Last edited by san_student on Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:14 am, edited 2 times in total.

unemployment benefits

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

PJG

Re: unemployment benefits

Post by PJG » Sat Nov 26, 2016 10:29 pm

I hope not.

4 years. You're at this for 4 year now.

Stop looking for excuses. You're not concentrating on your studies because, you're not trying hard enough.

If you need a part time job, you need a part time job. Do it, and then get on with your damned study work.

Stop looking for a hand-out.

This kind of !"#¤% drives me absolutely @#$% nuts.

Post by 007 » Sat Nov 26, 2016 11:36 pm

Here's my take. If OP is a member of kassa, then she can get unemployment money provided that she meets the criteria. On the other hand, if she has an 'A' type permit, she can apply for student allowances. Housing and other benefits are means tested and as such her husband's income is also taken into consideration. So, my suggestion would be to visit kela.
No one cares whether you apply for hand-outs or not (save some individuals like yourself). Many people don't apply for various benefits* available to them. End result is people get into pikavippi type of debt. Not applying for benefits has overall negative impact on society, believe it or not.

*sossu
“Go where you are celebrated – not tolerated."
"Aina, kun opit uuden sanan, opettele samalla sen monikko!"

PJG

Post by PJG » Sun Nov 27, 2016 12:21 am

007 wrote:Here's my take. If OP is a member of kassa, then she can get unemployment money provided that she meets the criteria. On the other hand, if she has an 'A' type permit, she can apply for student allowances. Housing and other benefits are means tested and as such her husband's income is also taken into consideration. So, my suggestion would be to visit kela.
No one cares whether you apply for hand-outs or not (save some individuals like yourself). Many people don't apply for various benefits* available to them. End result is people get into pikavippi type of debt. Not applying for benefits has overall negative impact on society, believe it or not.

*sossu
People putting themselves, deliberately, in situations where they'll draw down benefits has the bigger negative impact on society.

Post by 007 » Sun Nov 27, 2016 1:48 am

PJG wrote:
007 wrote:Here's my take. If OP is a member of kassa, then she can get unemployment money provided that she meets the criteria. On the other hand, if she has an 'A' type permit, she can apply for student allowances. Housing and other benefits are means tested and as such her husband's income is also taken into consideration. So, my suggestion would be to visit kela.

*sossu
People putting themselves, deliberately, in situations where they'll draw down benefits has the bigger negative impact on society.
That a student wants to focus on her study is a legit reason to stay out of job market. I understand the underlying reasoning of yours; however, it does not apply to her. As a student, her primary task is to complete her study. Only after her graduation were she to decide to keep herself out of job market, relying solely on social benefits for her livelihood, then your point shall have some weight.

In my earlier point, I was talking about sossu, and since it's a means tested and designed for critical situation, people cannot really misuse it unlike unemployment benefits. Anyway, OP is certainly not trying to be lazy in my eyes. By the way, as a student with 'A' permit, cmiiw she is allowed to have student allowances whether she works parttime or not. I am sure you are not arguing that she should support herself by working only and not receive student allowance?
“Go where you are celebrated – not tolerated."
"Aina, kun opit uuden sanan, opettele samalla sen monikko!"

leisl

Post by leisl » Sun Nov 27, 2016 3:06 am

The OP has every right to concentrate on studies, and if eligible, to get Kela assistance to do that. Their family pays into the system and they have every right to enjoy it like anyone else. Not to mention you seem to have forgotten that she has funded herself for the last four years!!!!!! Not taken from Finnish society... she has PUT MONEY INTO THE FINNISH SYSTEM from her job and from her savings before that. If you don't like her rights then go complain and try to get the laws changed, don't pour shame onto someone who does what's best for their family!

Please don't listen to this stupid racist perussuomalaiset crap from PJG, san_student.

In practical terms, quitting a job can count against you in terms of unemployment benefits. More than that, you're a student, which can be a problem in its own right as you are not considered a fulltime jobseeker. Getting unemployment benefits depends on you being a registered jobseeker with the TE office. Have a chat with them and ask them whether your Master's can be an "approved activity" while you are jobseeking. Make sure you tell them that you're prepared to take fulltime work at any time (you don't have to realistically take it but you must tell them you would, and sign a jobseeker contract to this effect).

If they determine that you are not eligible to be a fulltime jobseeker due to your studies, then you go speak to Kela about which study benefits and loans you are eligible for. They can also advise on the housing benefits as noted before.

Sossu is the last resort, and they will require that you have tried to get the above two things first.

rinso

Post by rinso » Sun Nov 27, 2016 7:51 am

Because of my part time work I don’t concentrate on my studies so I am thinking to quit my job and concentrate on studies so I can find better job related to my education.
So my question is that:
Is there any income support and unemployment benefit I can get from kela during my unemployment?
As long as you're a student, you're not unemployed according to Kela.
There are other forms of income support, but most are means tested. And since your husband got his RP (also means tested) I don't think there is much you can claim.

Rip

Post by Rip » Sun Nov 27, 2016 8:28 am

Opintotuki/student grant is not affected by your spouses income so you should be able to apply for that. It is not very much, but something.
http://www.kela.fi/web/en/financial-aid ... tudy-grant

If one could quit your part time work, continue with studies and apply for unemployment benefits there would be only a few students in this country that would live on 'opintotuki'-

biscayne

Post by biscayne » Sun Nov 27, 2016 9:07 pm

I think I can comment on this as I am currently a (very old) student.

If you come to Finland from abroad (including the EU) to study, you are NOT entitled to benefits other than the subsidized meals, travel and the student health care.

If, in the meantime your status changes because you are here due to family ties even though you are still studying, which seems to be the case here, you would probably be entitled to the basic living expenses which amount to approx. 275e per month. If you are renting your accommodation you will also be entitled to the housing cost of about 300e. If, by any chance you own the property you live in, even though you have a mortgage, you will not get the housing expense.

So, depending upon your situation, it looks like currently you would get either about 300e or 600e per month. However, as you have been working part-time, you might be entitled to other benefits or a benefit paid at a higher level. Kela should be able to explain this to you.

One tip - this is not my business, but just a tip, 4 years is a long time to do a Master Thesis, and my information is that employers look at that sort of thing now. My study rights are 4 years and the entire Masters Programme is 2, but we have finished the coursework now and I hope to finish my thesis by the end of January, so about 17 months. The faster you get it done the faster you can begin to look at getting real work.

leisl

Post by leisl » Sun Nov 27, 2016 10:57 pm

rinso wrote:
Because of my part time work I don’t concentrate on my studies so I am thinking to quit my job and concentrate on studies so I can find better job related to my education.
So my question is that:
Is there any income support and unemployment benefit I can get from kela during my unemployment?
As long as you're a student, you're not unemployed according to Kela.
Firstly, Kela makes its decision based on what it is told by the TE office's decision.

It used to be the case that if you study you are not unemployed, but there is some leeway now as it has been determined that being unemployed should not cancel one's right to study. It depends on the whim of the case officer in the TE office, which is why I suggested the OP have a frank discussion with them. For example I was studying fulltime while in receipt of unemployment benefit, as I had my study approved by the TE office. They considered it would be beneficial in getting me into the workplace. This is what the OP will need to demonstrate to the case officer in order to get them to agree. So it is definitely possible to study while being considered unemployed.

I agree it's not likely, especially if the OP's bachelor is considered enough qualifications to find work. It's far more likely that they would only approve Finnish lessons that the OP pays for themselves. But it's definitely worth a try.

leisl

Post by leisl » Thu Dec 01, 2016 3:17 am

You have to remember how the TE office thinks. They don't care about studies. Their job is to get you into work. Any work. What they look at is what is needed for you to (probably) achieve that and what assistance they are actually able to provide.

If you have very poor employment prospects because of poor Finnish language skill, then what they can offer is to allow you to study Finnish, and that is probably what they would want you to do. I say "allow" because someone who has been here four years is probably not going to get into integration support (free Finnish lessons), which is usually not granted longer than three years from the time you arrive in Finland, but there are exceptions. If they can't provide the lessons, they may give permission for the person to be registered as unemployed yet studying Finnish privately at an approved course, and this does not have to be within the three year time limit.

On top of that (or separate from that), they MAY decide that you completing your studies will make you more employable. If they decide that, they may give permission for the person to be registered as unemployed yet completing their studies. They may also allow you to do short courses which would improve your work prospects. These decisions are absolutely flexible as they are decided individually by the case officer. It's up to the client to convince the TE office and ask for this. Key words are that you know you have a right to study while unemployed, under law - but then you must also demonstrate why it's in both your interests to complete your study, be able to explain how this will help you get into work, and in general you need to make it clear that you want to cooperate and work with the case officer to get into a job. It's not a simple checkbox, you need to smile, and sell yourself :)

Once again their whole focus is to get you into work. If they feel you are employable already, you will get no help at all and they will tell you that you must discontinue study to be registered.

(Side note... I have never heard of a master's student being approved, only bachelor level, trade qualifications and high school studies. But good luck.)

Upphew

Post by Upphew » Thu Dec 01, 2016 1:32 pm

roger_roger wrote:
leisl wrote:Their job is to get you into work. Any work.
The whole system is built around for people to work like a Robot; its like we do not care what condition you are in, you need to fu.cking work.

Take an example from cummuting cost deductions from income tax, the quote from tax office website: http://www.vero.fi/en-US/Individuals/Tr ... ses(31933)
WTF. The deductions are build to encourage use of public transport and discourage the use of own car. Am I lazy if I use car to commute? Hell yeah! I walk to office in same time as I take shovel the car from snow and drive to there. Should I be compensated to do that? IMHO no.
http://google.com http://translate.google.com http://urbandictionary.com
Visa is for visiting, Residence Permit for residing.

interleukin

Post by interleukin » Fri Dec 02, 2016 7:39 pm

roger_roger wrote: walking 2.5 kms one way to work is not fine
WTF? Unless you are a little kid and you have Kehä III on your path, it is fine.

Flossy1978

Post by Flossy1978 » Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:17 pm

Someone sounds rather aggressive. Gees..... You may pay more in taxes in Finland, but Christ Almighty...... You reap well from it, even if you have no tax break travelling to work, or even no children. How much do you reckon healthcare would truly cost the Finnish people if the current system ended?

And walking 2.5km to work? Whoopeee. I knew 2 Finns who even rode their bikes 20km one way during winter. Roger Roger, you sound like a whinging baby.

And Finland wants you to be a robot? Why not come to Australia, or better yet America..... Work here if you haven't. Much longer work days in many cases. Sh*tall holidays, unless you have a Government job (Teacher, public servant), non-existant sick leave (compared to Finland). And better still...... FIRE AT WILL. When my country introduced this, 10,000's of people lost their jobs in that one day. There is very little protection for employees. No employer cares if you have cancer and need months of work. Goodbye is all they'll eventually say. In Finland, not only do you recieve income the entire time you are off sick, your job is also suppose to be kept for you.

Yeah, so stop whinging. Gees.

Jhon Miller

Post by Jhon Miller » Sun Dec 04, 2016 7:46 am

promote the use of public transportation is more than fine, require the use and operate like the humanoid is not fine. driving 2.5 km one way to work is not fine, expecting for the bus for 1 hour to go to practice is not fine.
http://www.win-source.net/