How many months I need to work to get unemployed benefit?

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
Nic93

Post by Nic93 » Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:48 pm

I am an eu citizen I've been thinking to work some months and then become unemployed so I can start sone Finnish courses and learn the language ,the question is how many months do I need to work so I can receive unemployed benefit?

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Flossy1978

Re: How many months I need to work to get unemployed benefit

Post by Flossy1978 » Wed Nov 30, 2016 7:08 am

You realise you can't live on unemployment?

If you quit your job on a whim, it can be some time before you can even get unemployment.

Why don't you go to adult Finnish courses, when not working? They aren't expensive. And morally it is the correct thing to do, than to come to this forum wanting to know how to get a handout.

Nic93

Post by Nic93 » Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:28 am

Flossy1978 wrote:You realise you can't live on unemployment?

If you quit your job on a whim, it can be some time before you can even get unemployment.

Why don't you go to adult Finnish courses, when not working? They aren't expensive. And morally it is the correct thing to do, than to come to this forum wanting to know how to get a handout.
I thought the government pays my rent and gives me around 700 Euro if I am unemployed?
I don't understand the problem on why not trying to get into those Finnish courses ,I get paid and I learn the language so why not?

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:11 am

Nic93 wrote:I don't understand the problem on why not trying to get into those Finnish courses ,I get paid and I learn the language so why not?
From your perspective it probably makes sense. However, others will have to pay for it since it's unlikely you have paid enough taxes to offset the benefits and courses.

Pursuivant

Post by Pursuivant » Wed Nov 30, 2016 2:52 pm

Nic93 wrote:I thought the government pays my rent and gives me around 700 Euro if I am unemployed?
Don't "think", that is allowed without a brain only in America.

You need to "know"... things like unemployment is "private" insurance, so you need to pay in to a fund to get anything more than the KELA base. To get even that you need to have worked(and been a member) for 28 weeks. If you quit without a "reason" you get 90 days quarantine. And if you go study at your own volition... hey, you're a student and students are not unemployed, so no money. And the rent... theres a housing allowance, but it is calculated along the norms and not anything to do with your real rent.
"By the pricking of my thumbs,
Something wicked this way comes."

Nic93

Post by Nic93 » Wed Nov 30, 2016 5:06 pm

betelgeuse wrote:
From your perspective it probably makes sense. However, others will have to pay for it since it's unlikely you have paid enough taxes to offset the benefits and courses.
Aren't those paid courses for foreigners who want to learn the language?
Pursuivant wrote:
Nic93 wrote:I thought the government pays my rent and gives me around 700 Euro if I am unemployed?
Don't "think", that is allowed without a brain only in America.

You need to "know"... things like unemployment is "private" insurance, so you need to pay in to a fund to get anything more than the KELA base. To get even that you need to have worked(and been a member) for 28 weeks. If you quit without a "reason" you get 90 days quarantine. And if you go study at your own volition... hey, you're a student and students are not unemployed, so no money. And the rent... theres a housing allowance, but it is calculated along the norms and not anything to do with your real rent.
So if the company stops working I am left in the streets and the government does not care about me?

Post by 007 » Wed Nov 30, 2016 5:59 pm

Nic93 wrote: Aren't those paid courses for foreigners who want to learn the language?
So if the company stops working I am left in the streets and the government does not care about me?
You might wanna know who the 'foreigners' are in this context. Unfortunately, you aren't that kind of foreigner. As a EU citizen, you have 3 months to be here in Finland for the purpose of seeking jobs. You don't belong to Finnish social security. So, those courses that you have in mind are meant for immigrants that have 'A/P permits'.

However, if you are employed and get fired from job or company goes bust, you can turn to either Kela or union/kassa. For latter, you must be paying into it for at least 6 months. However, note that if you quit your job on your own, you will get karenssi like said above.

If you find a job, it would be foolish to quit it. You can pay your rent on your own, and learning Finnish is also possible at other time of the day.
“Go where you are celebrated – not tolerated."
"Aina, kun opit uuden sanan, opettele samalla sen monikko!"

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Wed Nov 30, 2016 6:05 pm

Nic93 wrote:Aren't those paid courses for foreigners who want to learn the language?
EU citizens can be deported if they become a burden on the Finnish social security system and have not resided for five years.

http://www.finlex.fi/fi/laki/ajantasa/2 ... 01#L10P168

If your primary motivation is to study the language, the morally acceptable way to do it is to enroll as a student and do it on student status.

Nic93

Post by Nic93 » Wed Nov 30, 2016 6:07 pm

007 wrote:
Nic93 wrote: Aren't those paid courses for foreigners who want to learn the language?
You might wanna know who the 'foreigners' are in this context. Unfortunately, you aren't that kind of foreigner. As a EU citizen, you have 3 months to be here in Finland for the purpose of seeking jobs. You don't belong to Finnish social security. So, those courses that you have in mind are meant for immigrants that have 'A/P permits'.

However, if you are employed and get fired from job or company goes bust, you can turn to either Kela or union/kassa. For latter, you must be paying into it for at least 6 months. However, note that if you quit your job on your own, you will get karenssi like said above.

If you find a job, it would be foolish to quit it. You can pay your rent on your own, and learning Finnish is also possible at other time of the day.
I know Greeks who have started those Finnish courses anyways it's better to ask in kela I think

Post by 007 » Wed Nov 30, 2016 6:13 pm

Nic93 wrote:
007 wrote:

I know Greeks who have started those Finnish courses anyways it's better to ask in kela I think
Yeah, it's always better to ask kela than on some random forum. However, it's ridiculous to assume that some of your countrymen did something, so you should or shouldn't be able to do the same. That's not how Finnish society works. It's more like those who have got into such courses meet the criteria.

Nic93

Post by Nic93 » Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:59 pm

007 wrote:
Nic93 wrote:

Yeah, it's always better to ask kela than on some random forum. However, it's ridiculous to assume that some of your countrymen did something, so you should or shouldn't be able to do the same. That's not how Finnish society works. It's more like those who have got into such courses meet the criteria.
I have asked about the courses in te palvelut they just said you have to be unemployed and just register here and wait the counsellor to contact you they didn't say that you probably don't fit the criteria

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:19 pm

Nic93 wrote:I have asked about the courses in te palvelut they just said you have to be unemployed and just register here and wait the counsellor to contact you they didn't say that you probably don't fit the criteria
Getting language courses and unemployment benefits are two different decisions. You can get one without the other.

Flossy1978

Post by Flossy1978 » Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:54 pm

What's the issue with working, paying your own way and THEN taking courses in your own time?

I can't stand "I demand, gimme gimme gimmewelfare" people like you.

If, from your name states, you are born in 93. You are 23 years old. Your are truly more than young enough with the enough energy to work (and earn more than unemployment/study money) and study. Like a lot if other young and older people do.

As for your Greek friends. Just because they get something, doesn't mean you are entitled to it. Their situations could be completely different to yours.

And as for hinting "if the business ends", sounds like to me you are up to something shady.

To get into the Integration Programme often takes more than a year. What will you do in the meantime? If you get TE monies, and they say "go work here. Go do this, and you refuse", goodbye unemployment money.

As for the Government paying all your rent and giving you 700€ a month. 700€ + probably 800€ (private, because you won't have city housing) or more in rent, is 1500€ a month for a single person. If this is truly the case, alot of people on minimum wage and a bit above it would just not work, because that is a hell of a lot of money.

Grow up and do the right thing, instead of trying to get it easy. Work and study on your own time. Like most good honest decent people do.

Post by 007 » Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:11 pm

Nic93 wrote:I have asked about the courses in te palvelut they just said you have to be unemployed and just register here and wait the counsellor to contact you they didn't say that you probably don't fit the criteria
Sure they did but wordings were different. Did you pay attention to the word 'register'? In order to register as a jobseeker (unemployed), you got to meet certain criteria eg you lost the job recently, you are a family member of a person residing here permanently, a refugee etc. Oh, if you are a nordic dude, that will do too.

Btw, if you are new to Finland, they might insist on putting you into integration course, not calling you a jobseeker straightaway. Anyway, have you thought of taking private/partly-funded Finnish courses?

Let me repeat that you cannot just walk into te-toimisto and register yourself as a jobseeker (unemployed). :lightbulb:

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:13 pm

007 wrote:Let me repeat that you cannot just walk into te-toimisto and register yourself as a jobseeker (unemployed). :lightbulb:
Incorrect. Any EU citizen can. However, registering as a jobseeker does not automatically mean benefits.
Citizens of foreign states who, under international treaties binding on Finland concerning the free movement of labour force, have the right to enter Finland in order to find work and be gainfully employed without consideration of labour force needs by the employment and economic development office, may be registered as jobseekers as provided in section 1, unless otherwise provided in such treaties.
http://www.finlex.fi/fi/laki/kaannokset ... 120916.pdf