Finnish TV series

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
Querfeldein

Finnish TV series

Post by Querfeldein » Mon Nov 28, 2016 3:22 pm

Hi,

This winter, I'd like to watch some TV series while doing exercises indoors, and ideally I'd like to do that in Finnish (even better if there are also subtitles available, either English or Finnish). Do you have any recommendations? I'm looking for something that's already available, either online or on DVDs etc. Finnish as the spoken language is the most important criterion.

Finnish TV series

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Honest

Re: Finnish TV series

Post by Honest » Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:45 pm

Your library should have some DVDs which fulfil your needs

Scottish

Post by Scottish » Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:17 am

You might enjoy watching the crime/police drama `RAID`:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0229924/

wolf80

Post by wolf80 » Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:32 pm

Scottish wrote:You might enjoy watching the crime/police drama `RAID`:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0229924/
I would also highly recommend it! Not the movie, the tv series. It should be available on DVD with English subtitles.

Jukka Aho

Post by Jukka Aho » Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:24 pm

Roba is also a police drama, also available on DVD, and not half bad, either.

The name of the show comes from an actual street in Helsinki, Roobertinkatu (“Robert’s Street”), often nicknamed as Roba. The street was named after Count Robert Henrik Rehbinder (15 July 1777 – 8 March 1841).

“The street” is actually two streets, or comes in two differently-angled parts: Iso Roobertinkatu and Pieni Roobertinkatu. Until recently, Pieni Roobertinkatu (aka “Pikku-Roba”) used to host a police station, and the name of the show refers to that particular (now defunct) station house. (In other words, the original, eponymous street/neighborhood name has also become a metonymous nickname for a particular real/fictitious police station.)
znark

Ishmael

Post by Ishmael » Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:15 am

YLE has Downshiftaajat available online for couple of more months. I'm not sure how I would classify it, the series follows two couples forced by financial issues to move to suburbs, change jobs etc.

I accidentaly switch to a middle of an episode while browsing channels, and was intrigued enough to continue watching even when I only understood every 10th word.

lily_of_the_valley

Post by lily_of_the_valley » Thu Dec 08, 2016 5:09 am

Ishmael wrote:YLE has Downshiftaajat available online for couple of more months. I'm not sure how I would classify it, the series follows two couples forced by financial issues to move to suburbs, change jobs etc.

I accidentaly switch to a middle of an episode while browsing channels, and was intrigued enough to continue watching even when I only understood every 10th word.
I've been wondering if that one is worth watching! Thanks, I will give it a go.