Just wondering and need others opinions

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
4kclarity

Post by 4kclarity » Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:56 pm

I am a naturalized Finn, aged 39, and I have been unemployed for quite a long time. Of course, I have been on job occasionally at public sector but largely unemployed for years.

I would like to know what other foreigners who are in the same boat like me do to spend their lives here in Finland. Any plans for future? Take life as it comes? Any moving out of the country plan? Or study something new?

I have already done masters in business years ago. Since I've almost given up hope of finding a job in my field, I am thinking of studying IT but going for a bachelor at this age does not feel right. At the same time, there's also no guarantee that I will get a job after the graduation.

Share your thoughts and plans! Thanks.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

betelgeuse

Re: Just wondering and need others opinions

Post by betelgeuse » Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:31 pm

4kclarity wrote:I have already done masters in business years ago. Since I've almost given up hope of finding a job in my field, I am thinking of studying IT but going for a bachelor at this age does not feel right. At the same time, there's also no guarantee that I will get a job after the graduation.
Maybe it doesn't feel right but it's preferable to staying unemployed. Have you considered becoming an entrepreneur?

Honest

Post by Honest » Tue Dec 06, 2016 2:28 pm

Have you considered about working as a cleaner, kitchen helper, wolt driver etc?

Piet

Post by Piet » Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:29 pm

Honest wrote:Have you considered about working as a cleaner, kitchen helper, wolt driver etc?
Honest wrote:Have you considered about working as a cleaner, kitchen helper, wolt driver etc?
I would like to add here: bus driver, garbage collector (next to the highway) , super market shelf re-filler, street sweeper, etc.

Of cours all jobs will be at the first half year Työharjoitelu which is unpaid, then you get another half year extension of this työharjoutelu, unpaid of course. Then renewal is no longer allowed so they sack you and hire the next one for free so you end up doing another 2x half year with another company etc.

So after working for several years for nothing, (you get used to the having no money but working all the time), new jobs will be no longer available because you are too old (by that time 45 years old) and have to much experience even in the not paid jobs so you are over qualified.

Seems after being a slave from Sipilä for so long makes you dull, better get a good hobby (picking mushrooms, berries or walking through he forest with only a compass, biking but first get a bike from social office) and accept there is no job for you in this country, so learn to live with little money, shop wisely (lidl) and cheap. Learn to use the social benefit system for 100% (toimeentulotuki) and go on with your life in peace.

Or go to the Netherlands, lots of jobs there now, it is the best growing economy of Europe this year.

Or you wait here in Finland until the amount of poor people is greater than the amount of rich (just a matter of time) and enjoy a proletarian revolution and the return to communism with the help of Putin. Image
If god would give us the source code, we could change the world

leisl

Post by leisl » Thu Dec 08, 2016 5:14 am

I'm not going to quote all of Piet's comments... but they are sadly reflective of reality.

And it is the whole reason betelgeuse asked this:
betelgeuse wrote:Have you considered becoming an entrepreneur?
For Western, educated immigrants of our age, who have been out of work for an extended time, it seems to be the primary way to get out of being unemployed in Finland (not re-education).

Oombongo

Post by Oombongo » Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:29 am

Piet wrote:
I would like to add here: bus driver, garbage collector (next to the highway) , super market shelf re-filler, street sweeper, etc.

Of cours all jobs will be at the first half year Työharjoitelu which is unpaid, then you get another half year extension of this työharjoutelu, unpaid of course. Then renewal is no longer allowed so they sack you and hire the next one for free so you end up doing another 2x half year with another company etc.

So after working for several years for nothing, (you get used to the having no money but working all the time), new jobs will be no longer available because you are too old (by that time 45 years old) and have to much experience even in the not paid jobs so you are over qualified.

Seems after being a slave from Sipilä for so long makes you dull, better get a good hobby (picking mushrooms, berries or walking through he forest with only a compass, biking but first get a bike from social office) and accept there is no job for you in this country, so learn to live with little money, shop wisely (lidl) and cheap. Learn to use the social benefit system for 100% (toimeentulotuki) and go on with your life in peace.

Or go to the Netherlands, lots of jobs there now, it is the best growing economy of Europe this year.

Or you wait here in Finland until the amount of poor people is greater than the amount of rich (just a matter of time) and enjoy a proletarian revolution and the return to communism with the help of Putin. Image

This should be on migri website.
As for the original poster. Leave and go where you can have a career.
Image Image

lily_of_the_valley

Post by lily_of_the_valley » Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:48 am

4kclarity wrote:I am a naturalized Finn, aged 39, and I have been unemployed for quite a long time. Of course, I have been on job occasionally at public sector but largely unemployed for years.

I would like to know what other foreigners who are in the same boat like me do to spend their lives here in Finland. Any plans for future? Take life as it comes? Any moving out of the country plan? Or study something new?

I have already done masters in business years ago. Since I've almost given up hope of finding a job in my field, I am thinking of studying IT but going for a bachelor at this age does not feel right. At the same time, there's also no guarantee that I will get a job after the graduation.

Share your thoughts and plans! Thanks.
Is it mostly your Finnish language skill level which is making it difficult? Do you think that intensive/full-time Finnish lessons could make you more employable in the long-term than a Bachelor degree? Of course this would depend on how well you pick up languages and how motivated you are to learn it.

I'm just thinking of the fact that many Finnish IT grads would probably have a Masters and speak fluent Finnish... You already have Masters qualifications in a fairly broad area, so it's really the language that's the missing piece of the puzzle.

I feel for you! Your situation is one of my biggest fears about moving to Finland. That's why I'm putting a huge focus into improving my Finnish, although that isn't as hard for me as I learn languages easily and have a solid foundation already from living there previously.

Good luck with whatever you choose!