Working Holiday Permit and registering address in Finland

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
Old Mate

Post by Old Mate » Sat Dec 10, 2016 12:18 am

Hello,

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I could not find any information regarding "correct procedures" directly relating to the Working Holiday Permit.

I have been approved for a 12-month Working Holiday Permit (type "B") and I have been given a Personal Identity Code.
I am confused about some of the terminology and not quite sure what cards/documents to apply for and in what order.

I will mention that I am in Finland firstly as a visa-free tourist. The Resident Permit begins before the visa-free period ends. Once the Resident permit expires, I will travel a bit more as a visa-free tourist, and then head back to my home country. I will be in Finland for approximately 14 months. The reason I mention this is because I think the answers to the following questions will differ depending on if my stay is more or less than 12 months.

1. I know the first thing I have to do is go to Maistraatti; but what do I do there? I was already given a Personal Identity Code with my Permit. So am I supposed to register my address where I am staying in Finland? Or apply for Right of Residence? Or apply for Municipality of Residence? Or are they all the same thing?

2. Then I need to go to TE office and apply for a tax card?

3. Do I also need to go to Local Police Station and register my address there too?

4. After I have done all of these things, will I be able to open a bank account?

Thank you for your time; I appreciate any help!

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

betelgeuse

Re: Working Holiday Permit and registering address in Finlan

Post by betelgeuse » Sat Dec 10, 2016 2:41 pm

Old Mate wrote: 1. I know the first thing I have to do is go to Maistraatti; but what do I do there? I was already given a Personal Identity Code with my Permit. So am I supposed to register my address where I am staying in Finland? Or apply for Right of Residence? Or apply for Municipality of Residence? Or are they all the same thing?

The tax office will give you a tax card. They can at the same time relay the address to the population register.

https://www.vero.fi/en-US/Precise_infor ... ork(21271)

I don't think you will get a municipality of residence since your stay is temporary.
Old Mate wrote: 3. Do I also need to go to Local Police Station and register my address there too?
No.
Old Mate wrote: 4. After I have done all of these things, will I be able to open a bank account?
Yes. You will need to visit the police if you want to attach online identification to the bank account.

Old Mate

Post by Old Mate » Sun Dec 11, 2016 12:48 am

betelgeuse wrote:
Old Mate wrote: 1. I know the first thing I have to do is go to Maistraatti; but what do I do there? I was already given a Personal Identity Code with my Permit. So am I supposed to register my address where I am staying in Finland? Or apply for Right of Residence? Or apply for Municipality of Residence? Or are they all the same thing?

The tax office will give you a tax card. They can at the same time relay the address to the population register.

https://www.vero.fi/en-US/Precise_infor ... ork(21271)

I don't think you will get a municipality of residence since your stay is temporary.
Can you please explain the difference between registering my address, and municipality of residence?

From my understanding, "municipality of residence" is getting myself put into the system? Even if I am unable to do that, I am still supposed to simply register my address; right?

Thanks.

Pursuivant

Post by Pursuivant » Sun Dec 11, 2016 10:57 am

There is a tickbox in the computer saying 'temporary' and 'permanent' meaning the status of domicile in that county. With the tickbox the computer says no in certain events, and that might be slightly annoying. It has really more to do with "who pays stuff" as if you are permanently living in county A and temporarily in county B, and you get a toothache, county B tells you to go to county A for a dentist as you are "theirs" and they need to pay for it. It is not as this would have been designed to frustrate funny foreigners as such.
"By the pricking of my thumbs,
Something wicked this way comes."

Old Mate

Post by Old Mate » Sun Dec 11, 2016 1:29 pm

Pursuivant wrote:There is a tickbox in the computer saying 'temporary' and 'permanent' meaning the status of domicile in that county. With the tickbox the computer says no in certain events, and that might be slightly annoying. It has really more to do with "who pays stuff" as if you are permanently living in county A and temporarily in county B, and you get a toothache, county B tells you to go to county A for a dentist as you are "theirs" and they need to pay for it. It is not as this would have been designed to frustrate funny foreigners as such.
Thanks for your response.

That's understandable. I'm not looking for any benefits, government support, or anything like that - I just want to follow the "correct procedures" so I can get myself a bus card, open a bank account, etc.

In terms of renting an apartment, I assume there would be some prerequisites?

- Personal Identity Number
- Bank Account
- Proof of sufficient funds
- My address be registered with the government/police

So my next question would be, can I rent an apartment after I have been to Maistraatti and notified them that I am in the country?
Or do I need to have municipality of residence to be able to rent an apartment?

I am probably going around in circles, so sorry about that, but this is my first time living abroad (even though it's temporary) and I just want to make sure I do everything "by the books".

Thanks.

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Sun Dec 11, 2016 3:58 pm

Old Mate wrote: In terms of renting an apartment, I assume there would be some prerequisites?
Not really if you rent private. In practise your list is useful to convince a private landlord.
Old Mate wrote: - Personal Identity Number
- Bank Account
- Proof of sufficient funds
- My address be registered with the government/police
Old Mate wrote: So my next question would be, can I rent an apartment after I have been to Maistraatti and notified them that I am in the country?
Yes. However, you can also rent before going to Maistraatti or having any of the items on your list.
Old Mate wrote: Or do I need to have municipality of residence to be able to rent an apartment?
No.
Old Mate wrote: Can you please explain the difference between registering my address, and municipality of residence?

From my understanding, "municipality of residence" is getting myself put into the system? Even if I am unable to do that, I am still supposed to simply register my address; right?
Pursuivant already explained stuff about municipality of residence. I will add to that the separate requirement that the government requires all residents to maintain a current address so that they can mail things.

Pursuivant

Post by Pursuivant » Sun Dec 11, 2016 3:58 pm

"To be able to rent an apartment" you'd need to be filthy rich :lol: seriously, as you have no credit record you'd need to pay a "deposit" here and a "deposit" there, maybe your rent up front - and then... IIRC you can't work in one place for more than three months was it, and as you know there's no jobs, so being bound like that would be a bit silly. What you'd probably find the easiest is subletting a room from someone as a lodger or in a shared house. Way less "questions asked". Then you can update your address at the maistraatti & that sorts it all out, as "everything is in the computer", so when you call the tax office, they know whre to send your tax card, if the police wants you, they look in the computer and your address comes up :twisted: It really flows quite automagically. I'd also suggest looking into getting the WH visas for other neighbouring countries and maybe even UK. If you end up on the short end of the "no jobs", you can let your hair loose and drift towards where you find something. Its fairly easy to travel between the Nordic countries, and theres quite a lot to see, but you'll burn through money like there was no tomorrow. The Statistics centre just released the figures of prices in the eurozone, and of course Finland came on top. Norway of course tops, but its not in the monetary union.
"By the pricking of my thumbs,
Something wicked this way comes."

Old Mate

Post by Old Mate » Sun Dec 11, 2016 7:49 pm

Thank you to both betelgeuse and Pursuivant for the help and advice :)