'Finnish School' v2.0 Online!! | www.finnishschool.com

Learn and discuss the Finnish language with Finn's and foreigners alike
Phil

Post by Phil » Sun Nov 16, 2003 9:10 pm

Finnish School v2.0 is Online!!

http://www.finnishschool.com

If you find any bugs or problems that aren't listed below, please respond to this thread and let me know!!

Many many many thanks to our ALPHA testers: Neil, Arabella, Helmi, and especially Arno for all their help!!! :D

Known Issues:

- I promised to add a whole bunch more vocabulary words but haven't added too many yet, I will do that very soon!
- The random word generator is better but still sucks. You'll still see certain words more than others and yes, it may ask you "olut" 3 times in a row.
- If you input a really long word (like over 20 characters), it will shift the left column over to the right.
- For users who haven't completed any levels, it says that you've completed 1, I gotta look into this.
- Words that have two meanings are still not working properly, I'll fix this ASAP
Last edited by Phil on Sun Sep 26, 2004 1:32 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Phil

Post by Phil » Tue Dec 09, 2003 6:57 am

New Features include:
- vocabulary levels are no longer linear, you can pick and choose which levels you want to do and when you want to do them
- many many many more words
- new, improved user interface
- improved random generator (so you won't keep getting the same damn words)
- larger "wrong word" buffer - it will keep track of the words you screw up alot and ask you them more often
- when you type a word into the textfield, all your previous answers won't be listed below (AKA autocomplete is turned off)
- no longer a 1:1 finnish-english word dictionary. Finnish words can have multiple English equivilents. (AKA 'how' is 'miten' AND 'kuinka' instead of JUST 'miten')

v2.1 will include:
- Nokia Series 60 & Series 80 (7650, 3650, 92xx) friendly UI
- Verb conjegator game

Phil

Post by Phil » Thu Jan 08, 2004 9:19 pm

So why the name change from "Learn Finnish" to "Finnish School" - Well the guy who owns 'www.learnfinnish.com' wants $400 for the domain name. Screw that!! But http://www.finnishschool.comwas free so I took that. You can also view the site using http://www.supisuomea.com and http://www.suomenkieli.com

reinikainen

Post by reinikainen » Mon Jan 12, 2004 2:57 pm

thank you. a really good program to help remember words.

has anyone had the problem that 'viinirypäle' always come up as incorrect, even if it is correct?

Phil

Post by Phil » Mon Jan 12, 2004 4:41 pm

reinikainen wrote:thank you. a really good program to help remember words.

has anyone had the problem that 'viinirypäle' always come up as incorrect, even if it is correct?
Moi!! Thank you for your kind words about the program!

About this particular word, what kinds of problems are you having with it? You type it correctly and it says it's wrong? Hmmm....I'll take a look.

Phil

Post by Phil » Mon Jan 12, 2004 4:44 pm

Okay, I looked in the database for this word: viinirypäle - something seemed strange about it. For some reason, the database viewer I use can't properly display the Finnish 'a' and 'o' so it uses these codes instead so it's tough to tell if the code is correct or not.

Anyways, I re-entered the word and it changed the code for the Finnish 'a', so I'm thinking that this fixed the problem. Let me know if you still experience any problems.

Thanks for your help!! :)

reinikainen

Post by reinikainen » Tue Jan 13, 2004 1:53 pm

Moi!

I still get the same problem with 'viinirypäle'.
but really i'm just grateful for the program, after all it's free and it's helped me learn a couple of hundred words. It's much easier this way!

daive

Post by daive » Tue Jan 13, 2004 3:39 pm

Just had a peek at the new site, surprised myself by remembering my username and password from ages ago!!
Its looking good Phil, I like the fact it is contained within a "set-size"small box on the screen, especially for a person like me that has lots of windows open at the same time.

Funny that, I can have lots of windows open even in the winter and not get cold, hehehehe!

Paul

Post by Paul » Thu Jan 15, 2004 3:55 am

Phil,
I just went to the new site. The first page did not show the image that is to appear. I clicked on the blank page and went on. Nice new layout you have there. ;-)

Paul

Puhakainen

Post by Puhakainen » Sat May 15, 2004 10:10 pm

great site mate, has helped me learn a lot of words :]

1 small thing...

at/over
i/me
he/she

dunno if same for everyone but for these no answer shows up and it always says ur wrong, no big deal tho
cheerz
:L

suomishadow

Good Job!

Post by suomishadow » Mon May 17, 2004 1:15 pm

Excellent program.. Can use all the help I can get.. :lol:

Flemming

Post by Flemming » Thu May 20, 2004 4:44 am

Maybe Im wrong, but in Opposites 3, Finnish to English, "tylsä" is sometimes "boring" but other times its "dull". And if you type "boring" when it wants "dull" you get it wrong and vice versa.

Phil

Post by Phil » Thu May 20, 2004 10:52 am

Flemming wrote:Maybe Im wrong, but in Opposites 3, Finnish to English, "tylsä" is sometimes "boring" but other times its "dull". And if you type "boring" when it wants "dull" you get it wrong and vice versa.
Fixed!! Thanks for the info (Tylsa was listed twice for some reason) :D

lairdkw

Post by lairdkw » Wed May 26, 2004 5:20 pm

Thanks for all your work Phil. Curious - did the leg slow down or speed up this project?! :lol:
The best idea eventually must degenerate into work. - Peter Drucker

Phil

Post by Phil » Wed May 26, 2004 6:57 pm

lairdkw wrote:Thanks for all your work Phil. Curious - did the leg slow down or speed up this project?! :lol:
Heh, neither, I haven't touched the project since my leg was broken, but I wouldn't have touched it either if my leg was fine.