Finnish citizen but I don't speak Finnish

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
robarna

Post by robarna » Sun Dec 18, 2016 10:51 am

Last edited by robarna on Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

interleukin

Re: Finnish citizen but I don't speak Finnish

Post by interleukin » Sun Dec 18, 2016 4:04 pm

Hæ!

Finnish is going to be less critical if you move to Swedish speaking parts of the country (eg. area around Vasa) or even to the Åland islands (Swedish-only region). There would certainly be jobs there for a Swedish speaker, not sure how exciting they would be though. Or how easily you would find a place to study (but google Vasa and Mariehamn (in Åland) and see what pops up).

good luck!

robarna

Post by robarna » Sun Dec 18, 2016 4:14 pm

interleukin

Post by interleukin » Sun Dec 18, 2016 6:52 pm

íslensk :)

Yeah, I agree that if you are planning on living a Finnish speaking life in Finland, you need to get your Finnish levels up!

Just put out the Swedish speaking things because the people in this forum tend to forget that Finland also contains Swedish speaking parts and people, and if life in the archipelago is more attractive than big cities, then the places I mentioned can be options to consider. A wholly Swedish-speaking life is totally possible in Finland, it just limits your options quite a lot.

Generally, you will be fine with only English in daily life, but getting a job without Finnish is usually the tricky part.

robarna

Post by robarna » Sun Dec 18, 2016 8:26 pm

Rosamunda

Post by Rosamunda » Sun Dec 18, 2016 8:51 pm

I think it is possible to combine working life and school in Finland.

Try http://www.eira.fi/fi/tule-opiskelemaan ... gh-school/
There are other adult high schools, but Eira seems to have the most information in English and is also the biggest.

A vocational high school is a good idea too. That would enable you to do some work placements and start networking. Eg: if you are interested in cooking there are ammattikoulu (vocational high school) programmes in both Finnish and English such as here: https://www.ravintolakouluperho.fi/?lang=en You could take Finnish courses separately or try to enrol on an immigrant integration programme.

leisl

Post by leisl » Mon Dec 19, 2016 12:07 am

Eira's aim (is? was?) to go from zero Finnish to circa B2 to enable you to either matriculate (in Finnish) or complete the Cambridge AICE diploma (in English). As far as I'm aware there is no equivalent for Swedish - they do have Swedish taught as the second foreign language to native Finnish speakers but that's about it. You can't, for example, do your mathematics courses in Swedish as it's not just not provided.

The problem with Eira is that last I heard, they've discontinued the Cambridge stream so I've no idea if they found anything to replace that. If they didn't, then the school would presumably be only Finnish from... next year, I assume. My 20yo is currently doing his matriculation there so is only in the Finnish classes, but he hasn't heard of any new course etc to replace the AICE. There is some mention on their site of awarding a "Bilingual Leaving Certificate" which sounds as useful as flyscreens on a submarine.

I'm pretty sure there would be at least one public adult high school in Swedish, although it'll likely limit you to Helsinki. You might get some help and advice by contacting Luckan.