Permit A to Permanent - family ties with different household

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
luisin

Post by luisin » Wed Dec 21, 2016 5:17 pm

Dear members.

Next January 2018 I will have lived in Finland for 4 years and a half (first 6 months with a B permit, then 4 years with an A permit based on family ties).
I'm not an EU citizen and my current permit is valid until beginning of 2019.

Instead of renewing my A permit, I've been thinking about applying for a Permanent permit already on the beginning of 2018, when I will have completed 4 years with the A permit. (It will give me one year to wait for the result, without worrying about an expiring permit)

Seems like an easy choice, but I'm now on a delicate situation:
For the past year I've been living in a different address than my wife, both on the same city.
We are on a separation process, and we will be filing a divorce soon. (It's happening peacefully, but go back to the same address is not an option).

I'd like to know if anyone has been on the same situation. I don't know if it would be a problem to apply for a Permanent Permit based on family ties, once we live in different households.

I've been wondering which one is the best option:
- apply based on the fact I'm married with a Finnish citizen, put the 2 different address and hope it's ok.
- apply based on work (employed at the moment), but still mention I'm married to a Finn (I have to say it on the form anyway)
- be completely honest and apply based on BOTH family ties and work, writing some explanation about the fact we live in different addresses, separation period, etc.

Thoughts?

* If it's relevant: I'm a free-lancer artist most of the time. At the moment employed, with a contract lasting for a while.
During the whole time in Finland I've always had a secure source of income, have been quite well established, never relied on any social welfare benefits, and of course I've always payed my taxes...

Thank you all beforehand for the attention!

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

betelgeuse

Re: Permit A to Permanent - family ties with different house

Post by betelgeuse » Thu Dec 22, 2016 2:20 am

luisin wrote: I'd like to know if anyone has been on the same situation. I don't know if it would be a problem to apply for a Permanent Permit based on family ties, once we live in different households.
It would not be.
luisin wrote: I've been wondering which one is the best option:
- apply based on the fact I'm married with a Finnish citizen, put the 2 different address and hope it's ok.
- apply based on work (employed at the moment), but still mention I'm married to a Finn (I have to say it on the form anyway)
- be completely honest and apply based on BOTH family ties and work, writing some explanation about the fact we live in different addresses, separation period, etc.

Thoughts?
The P application form supports multiple equivalent reasons so just mark all of them. No need to babble about the relationship especially since you qualify through work also.

luisin

Re: Permit A to Permanent - family ties with different house

Post by luisin » Thu Dec 22, 2016 7:59 pm

Thanks for the advice Betelgeuse!

I'm just afraid they might still ask why we live in different addresses, as if I'm hiding some information from the application, or something like this.

But well, I guess marking all of them might be the best choice then!

Kiitos!