Enter Finland "Urgently"

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
AliaAmr86

Enter Finland "Urgently"

Post by AliaAmr86 » Sat Dec 24, 2016 9:30 pm

Hi

I would like to ask you if I can enter Finland before the starting of the validation period, in my case from 12/01/2017 to 12/01/2018?
I booked my flight to Tampere, Finland in 10/01/2017 without considering this date, two days before the validation period.
So can I enter Finland if I keep my reservation or I have to change my flight starting in 12/01/2017?

Enter Finland "Urgently"

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

sky2

Re: Enter Finland "Urgently"

Post by sky2 » Sun Dec 25, 2016 5:03 pm

The validation dates are mentioned on the permit for a reason.
You cannot enter before or after those dates.

wolf80

Post by wolf80 » Sun Dec 25, 2016 8:24 pm

If I were you I would change my flight dates asap.

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Sun Dec 25, 2016 9:35 pm

AliaAmr86 wrote: I would like to ask you if I can enter Finland before the starting of the validation period, in my case from 12/01/2017 to 12/01/2018?
I booked my flight to Tampere, Finland in 10/01/2017 without considering this date, two days before the validation period.
So can I enter Finland if I keep my reservation or I have to change my flight starting in 12/01/2017?
I assume with validation period, you mean the validity period of your residence permit. You can enter before those dates as a tourist, if you come from a visa free country.
sky2 wrote:The validation dates are mentioned on the permit for a reason.
You cannot enter before or after those dates.
Hogwash. See question 16 here:

http://www.migri.fi/our_services/faq/residence_permits

sky2

Post by sky2 » Mon Dec 26, 2016 12:58 am

betelgeuse wrote: Hogwash. See question 16 here:
http://www.migri.fi/our_services/faq/residence_permits
... and?

Beep_Boop

Post by Beep_Boop » Mon Dec 26, 2016 1:06 pm

sky2 wrote:... and?
You made the assumption that OP needs a visa, while betelgeuse made the assumption that OP doesn't need a visa. Obviously she'd know if she needs a visa or not, so she wouldn't ask this question.

In this case, I think your assumption is more suitable. OP is more likely not to have visa-free travel to EU.
Every case is unique. You can't measure the result of your application based on arbitrary anecdotes online.

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Mon Dec 26, 2016 1:22 pm

Beep_Boop wrote:
sky2 wrote:... and?
You made the assumption that OP needs a visa, while betelgeuse made the assumption that OP doesn't need a visa. Obviously she'd know if she needs a visa or not, so she wouldn't ask this question.

In this case, I think your assumption is more suitable. OP is more likely not to have visa-free travel to EU.
I made no such assumption. However, I could have been more thorough in the answer and said that it's possible to apply for a visa in addition to a residence permit.

sky2

Post by sky2 » Mon Dec 26, 2016 1:59 pm

betelgeuse wrote: I made no such assumption. However, I could have been more thorough in the answer and said that it's possible to apply for a visa in addition to a residence permit.
and you see, that does not make my statement hogwash. If you need a visa to enter Finland, you cannot enter on that permit, you would need a new visa/permit (and that too if you really think it makes sense to apply for a new visa just before a couple of weeks of travel).

leisl

Post by leisl » Mon Dec 26, 2016 4:46 pm

sky2 wrote:
betelgeuse wrote: I made no such assumption. However, I could have been more thorough in the answer and said that it's possible to apply for a visa in addition to a residence permit.
and you see, that does not make my statement hogwash. If you need a visa to enter Finland, you cannot enter on that permit, you would need a new visa/permit (and that too if you really think it makes sense to apply for a new visa just before a couple of weeks of travel).
Your blanket statement of "You cannot enter before or after those dates," was, indeed, hogwash.

It was neither comprehensive nor necessarily correct for the OP themselves, since we don't know their nationality(ies) or passport(s). There is a large number of countries which have visa-free tourism travel to Finland, and depending on the reason for travel, they might even have been permitted to enter early anyway. And as an aside, the OP did not even mention the word "visa", so we really cannot make assumptions that it's even a visa.

Granted... the OP could have helped us out a bit by specifying that info to begin with. The thing to remember here is that a lot of lurkers read these posts and will assume the answers apply to their circumstances too, so it's important that we don't make blanket or incorrect statements that might be taken by others as gospel.

sky2

Post by sky2 » Mon Dec 26, 2016 7:18 pm

leisl wrote:
sky2 wrote:
Your blanket statement of "You cannot enter before or after those dates," was, indeed, hogwash.

It was neither comprehensive nor necessarily correct for the OP themselves, since we don't know their nationality(ies) or passport(s). There is a large number of countries which have visa-free tourism travel to Finland, and depending on the reason for travel, they might even have been permitted to enter early anyway. And as an aside, the OP did not even mention the word "visa", so we really cannot make assumptions that it's even a visa.

Granted... the OP could have helped us out a bit by specifying that info to begin with. The thing to remember here is that a lot of lurkers read these posts and will assume the answers apply to their circumstances too, so it's important that we don't make blanket or incorrect statements that might be taken by others as gospel.
I thought it was easy to understand that the question was about entering Finland based on the said residence permit.

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Mon Dec 26, 2016 9:04 pm

sky2 wrote:I thought it was easy to understand that the question was about entering Finland based on the said residence permit.
The OP likely doesn't care what grants him access to Finland, as long as he can enter.

Beep_Boop

Post by Beep_Boop » Mon Dec 26, 2016 9:22 pm

betelgeuse wrote:as long as he can enter.
She*
Every case is unique. You can't measure the result of your application based on arbitrary anecdotes online.