Buy a door for a room in an apartment

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
farfaraway

Post by farfaraway » Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:14 pm

I just moved in a new apartment, now I want to install a door for my kitchen. I talked to the housing company and they said that I need to do it myself

The kitchen has a casing (frame, not sure which one is the correct term) already but no door for whatever reason. And I need to buy the door (72cm x 203,5cm) and 2 hinges to install it. Where can one buy doors in Finland?

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Rip

Re: Buy a door for a room in an apartment

Post by Rip » Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:22 pm

Are there (one half of) hinges as well? in that case have you checked the door isn't in the attic (or asked from the land lord)?.

Piet

Post by Piet » Wed Dec 07, 2016 5:32 pm

farfaraway wrote:I just moved in a new apartment, now I want to install a door for my kitchen. I talked to the housing company and they said that I need to do it myself

The kitchen has a casing (frame, not sure which one is the correct term) already but no door for whatever reason. And I need to buy the door (72cm x 203,5cm) and 2 hinges to install it. Where can one buy doors in Finland?
Bauhaus
Starkki
K-rauta
Rautia
If god would give us the source code, we could change the world

riku2

Post by riku2 » Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:16 pm

the door might come with hinges already fitted but they will need to match the type on the frame already. Otherwise you'll have to fit the hinges to the door (and the frame as well unless you can get identical hinges for the hinges/holes on the frame already).
it's not an easy job and you need to get the mounting right to under a mm, otherwise the door won't close properly, swing open on it's own, close on it's own, rub against the frame .. it's a tricky thing to get right and very hard to adjust once you've drilled all the holes and it doesn't quite fit.

leisl

Post by leisl » Thu Dec 08, 2016 5:16 am

Rip wrote:Are there (one half of) hinges as well? in that case have you checked the door isn't in the attic (or asked from the land lord)?.
Put a note up in your apartment block. Someone else in the building will have removed the exact same door, and may have it stashed somewhere - ask around and they may give/sell it to you and it's likely to fit fairly easily.

Peek around your storage cages and you might even see one and be able to approach that apartment directly. Ours is also gone (the hinges are still there) and I've seen the matching doors in the neighbours' storage cages.

Alternative: a sliding door is actually much easier to fit, if you intend to buy and DIY.

Honest

Post by Honest » Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:50 pm

We have the same problem. Couldn't find any fitting door anywhere in store rooms. There are doors but of different sizes.
Could you please post a link about sliding doors? We want anything there if not the proper door

masao

Post by masao » Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:19 am

Hi.
In addition to the shops Piet mentioned who sell new doors, there is a place which sells second-hand doors and such
"rakennustarvikkeita" at Kyläsaari recycle center building. It's in the same building but the company is different from the recycle center.
If you are not in a hurry, I will go there and check their stock to see if they have the door you require as soon as the temp rises to the acceptable level.

Right now it's too bloody cold outside and I am hugging my knees and dreaming California.

t, masao
Bone, Thugs, 'n' Harmony

leisl

Post by leisl » Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:29 pm

I saw a bunch of them last week at Nihtisiltä recycle centre, probably worth a trip with your measurements written down.

Honest

Post by Honest » Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:43 pm

Any links to sliding door options please? I would like a folding-sliding door mainly to keep kitchen closed when something is being cooked.

Upphew

Post by Upphew » Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:39 pm

Honest wrote:Any links to sliding door options please? I would like a folding-sliding door mainly to keep kitchen closed when something is being cooked.
Google has many. Try paljeovi or taiteovi. Combine with the usual suspects Bauhaus, K-rauta, Rautia, taloon.com, netrauta etc.
http://google.com http://translate.google.com http://urbandictionary.com
Visa is for visiting, Residence Permit for residing.

Honest

Post by Honest » Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:53 pm

So any link for the sliding door?

masao

Post by masao » Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:44 am

Hi.
Google "liukuovi (=sliding door)" and you will get a dozen hits.
You may start from there.

t, masao
Bone, Thugs, 'n' Harmony