YLE Samsung App abandoned

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
Cod

Post by Cod » Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:08 am

Anyone else affected by this ?

http://yle.fi/aihe/artikkeli/2017/01/10 ... -malleissa

..all else fails, I'll take the Samsung Digibox back to Verkkokauppa and plead for a fat discount off a newer one.

Not great hardware, especially as SHA-2 isn't exactly a surprise- even 4 years ago - no?

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Jukka Aho

Re: YLE Samsung App abandoned

Post by Jukka Aho » Sat Jan 14, 2017 6:38 pm

Cod wrote:Anyone else affected by this ?

http://yle.fi/aihe/artikkeli/2017/01/10 ... -malleissa

..all else fails, I'll take the Samsung Digibox back to Verkkokauppa and plead for a fat discount off a newer one.

Not great hardware, especially as SHA-2 isn't exactly a surprise- even 4 years ago - no?
Welcome to “Internet of things”.

The idea of connecting your toasters and TVs to the Internet would kind of require manufacturer’s commitment to provide perpetual updates for each and every consumer device they churn out, say, for 10 years or so... which is not going to happen unless mandated by some strict interpretation or revision of the consumer protection act.

There’s a pretty good solution though: If you want to view Areena, Katsomo, Ruutu, YouTube, Netflix, Vimeo etc., or even random web page videos and live streams on your TV, Google Chromecast is surprisingly good and easy to use for that, and receives constant automatic software updates. As it is basically running an embedded Chrome browser, which is sort of like a flagship product for Google, I don’t expect the updates to stop soon, either.

You need an Android phone to go with it since the phone and its touchscreen and apps are what you use as a remote control — for searching and choosing the content to be cast to the TV — even though the video stream itself will not be relayed through your phone. At any rate, the phone is a much more convenient device for browsing and searching content and managing playlists than a conventional remote, and you can e.g. add videos to a shared YouTube playlist from multiple phones simultaneously, or start playback of an Areena video from one phone and pause it from another. (Chromecast also supports the HDMI CEC standard, responding to the VCR buttons on your TV’s remote.)

(Controlling the Chromecast actually works fairly well on the iOS devices, too, but some of the functionality is better integrated with Android. Maybe Apple TV will provide a more integrated experience for the iOS users, but I have never tried it. Also note that Google is now pushing “Chromecast Ultra”, a revised Chromecast model with 4K support, but if your TV is not 4K-capable, you can get the basic Full HD-capable Chromecast for half the price — 39 euros in Gigantti as of this writing — and it is just as good for your TV.)
Last edited by Jukka Aho on Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
znark

Cod

Re: YLE Samsung App abandoned

Post by Cod » Sat Jan 14, 2017 6:56 pm

Many thanks Juha,

Great advice.

Luckily we do have Apple TV as you mention and plenty of devices to run AirPlay from - so the kids were happily YLE streaming this morning.

I do feel sorry though for all those who literally just got cut off with zero warning and no work-a-round. The only option really is to go for a 2016 Samsung, just because of an unsupported security protocol. Like we all have a spare 400 euro sitting around collecting dust , right?

YLE app like totally IS the tv experience of today - does anyone watch live tv these days apart from sport? So cutting this is like Norway cutting FM in a way, just with a lot less warning.

Netflix, you-tube are still good.

Curiously they just reskinned the YLE UI a few months back on this 'older' Smart Hub version for Samsung Digiboxes - so they really didn't see this coming.

Branch the code , two apps for two years - one with old security protocol. Or maybe it's not that easy. :)