Travelling in Lapland in winter

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
Marsh04

Post by Marsh04 » Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:25 pm

The plan is to fly to lapland, rent a stationwagon, travel around and sleep in the car while the car is connected with electricity and a fan heater running inside. Is it possible? Are there any places which allow you to use electricity for a charge?

Any camping areas working in winters?

We'll have matress and good sleeping bags.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Marsh04

Re: Travelling in Lapland in winter

Post by Marsh04 » Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:40 pm

wolf80

Re: Travelling in Lapland in winter

Post by wolf80 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:45 pm

Marsh04 wrote:The plan is to fly to lapland, rent a stationwagon, travel around and sleep in the car while the car is connected with electricity and a fan heater running inside. Is it possible? Are there any places which allow you to use electricity for a charge?

Any camping areas working in winters?

We'll have matress and good sleeping bags.
I don't think that's a very good idea. You are not supposed to have a fan heater running all through the night, and at temperatures high enough to allow you to be comfortable inside, the car's electrical system is not built for that. That's actually why many rental cars don't have an internal electrical plug anymore and just the motor heater. If you told a rental company what you have planned they would most certainly not allow it. And if you damage the car this way, which is not that unlikely, you will have to pay for the damage yourself of course.

Apart from that, if the heating system breaks down while you are asleep, and you have very low outside temperatures, you might not wake up and notice it, and so put yourself in serious danger. There is a reason why Finns would never even consider this!

You will have a hard time finding a camping area in winter anway, and other places with electrical outlets would probably not allow you to use them this way anyway. If somebod sees you sleeping inside the car they might wake you up and tell you it's a bad idea. Finns suddenl are able to talk to strangers when they do stupid things and put their lives in danger.

There is so many cheap Hotels and Mökkis available, I don't see why you would want to save money this way!