Married in US but divorce-headed?

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
qphxxt

Post by qphxxt » Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:14 am

I am a US citizen and was married to a South Korean citizen both in the U.S. and South Korea; We had two weddings and two marriage registrations?

I moved to Finland a couple of months ago because my husband was accepted into a permanent position here. I have my permanent residency based on family ties.

I just wanted to know if and how divorce works here if we were married abroad...Can we get divorced here? And what regulations apply? I know that in the U.S., getting divorced is very costly, complicated and lengthy. I hear that in Finland, it is not. Please advise...

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

betelgeuse

Re: Married in US but divorce-headed?

Post by betelgeuse » Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:06 am

qphxxt wrote:I am a US citizen and was married to a South Korean citizen both in the U.S. and South Korea; We had two weddings and two marriage registrations?

I moved to Finland a couple of months ago because my husband was accepted into a permanent position here. I have my permanent residency based on family ties.
Unless there's something you did not disclose, you do not have permanent residency from the perspective of the Aliens Act. You most likely have a continuous permit (A permit). You need four years of residence before you can get a permanent permit (P). If you divorce, you need another reason to stay here or your permit can be cancelled.
qphxxt wrote: I just wanted to know if and how divorce works here if we were married abroad...Can we get divorced here?
yes.
qphxxt wrote: And what regulations apply?
Mostly Finnish. Fixed property could be an exemption.

Ninja

Post by Ninja » Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:04 am

Permanent residency? hmm, interesting you have one based off his employment. Do you know how long it is valid? typically after the first year you need to get it renewed, then I believe it lasts for 3 years for a total of 4.

But if you have a permit and married through the maistraatti and registered here, then all you have to do is file the paperwork here with maistraatti to divorce.

However, there is a 6 month waiting period, and then you file again. So file now as you will still have to wait six months and nothing will go into affect. It's rather painless and easy, it costs like 150 euros if I remember correctly. Being that you've only been married here for a short time, it's worth seeing what they say there.

If you are only here because of him, then I think it would be best if you headed back to the U.S. for your own happiness. Otherwise, It doesn't mean they'll just kick you right out, so don't assume you will get booted from the country just because of him if you have a residency permit here, it depends on the circumstances and situation, they don't just make blanket decisions like that.

If you stay you need to learn the language and go through a program, that's up to you though...unless you are working or doing something yourself of course.

But staying here alone will be quite difficult. But if you are not staying here anyway, I would be more worried about your status in the U.S. and that I'm not sure about, and I'm not sure how the divorce would work from abroad, but honestly this is kind of irrelevant if you never even come back here.

Go to your local Maistraatti, speak in English there with someone and they'll tell you exactly what you need to do, but it shouldn't be very difficult or a big headache, don't stress about it.

Upphew

Post by Upphew » Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:49 pm

Some divorce info: goo.gl/v5NyZo
http://google.com http://translate.google.com http://urbandictionary.com
Visa is for visiting, Residence Permit for residing.

bm50
AKA cockney

Post by bm50 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:59 pm

So any foreigner coming to Finland and living here for a short time can legally divorce in Finland?

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:34 pm

bm50 wrote:So any foreigner coming to Finland and living here for a short time can legally divorce in Finland?
Yes. However, it does not automatically mean it would be recognised in other countries.