Phony Bagels - Again!

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
harryc

Phony Bagels - Again!

Post by harryc » Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:08 am

Once again - the 'phony bagel' scam has hit Finland!

As an exported New Yorker, I've watched for MANY years how someone in Finland thinks bagels are just round pieces of bread with a hole in it - bread-like 'Rinkeli'- and accompanied by the usual Finnish ilmiö of a high price.

The latest rip-off is from Lidl.

The most important factor in bagel-baking is that there HAS to be the step where the raw dough is boiled in one of the rising-process stages (and uses a strong, high-gluten flour). This is what gives the bagel its distinctive 'chew' and crisp crust.

Anyone that thinks they have found the REAL thing in Finland (And KNOWS they have been boiled and use a high-gluten flour)?

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyl ... ect-bagels

Phony Bagels - Again!

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Upphew

Re: Phony Bagels - Again!

Post by Upphew » Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:22 pm

harryc wrote:'chew' and crisp crust.
arnolds.fi advertises being "chewy, eli 'pureskeltavan sitkeä' sisältä".
http://google.com http://translate.google.com http://urbandictionary.com
Visa is for visiting, Residence Permit for residing.

harryc

Post by harryc » Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:25 pm

I tried them a couple of years ago - expensive 'bread' :(

Maybe they have wised up -

In an attempt to find out if they have -- I called 3 different numbers at Arnold's - no one knew anything about the baking of bagels.
They said to call back next week :D Yeah, right.

So - as I said - if anyone happens to KNOW if someone in Finland is really serious about
REAL bagel baking, I'd appreciate hearing about it.

AldenG

Post by AldenG » Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:45 pm

It appears that the bagel originated in Poland, which is better news for you than if it had originated in NYC. Of course it's still likely that the NYC bagel has followed its own extensive evolutionary path.

Since you've struck out on the mainstream consumer angle, why don't you check out the stores etc recommended by/for the Helsinki Jewish community and visitors? I don't know how much commonality of food customs there may be between American and Finnish Jews, other than rules about kosher and tref, but who else is more likely to know what you're talking about and have in interest in the real thing? Those stores must be used to visitors looking for American Jewish fare.

If you strike out there, I guess you're going to be baking your own.

http://jchelsinki.fi/fi/kosher_tuotteet ... ntipisteet

ON EDIT:

English version

http://jchelsinki.fi/en/node/231898
As he persisted, I was obliged to tootle him gently at first and then, seeing no improvement, to trumpet him vigorously with my horn.

harryc

Post by harryc » Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:56 pm

Actually the origin was supposed to be somewhat east of Poland - but for many centuries the whole country has been on roller skates - back and forth - east and west - so who really knows.

In any case, the NY bagel is the origin of the 'bagel' culture west of the Vistula plains. When I was a kid no one ever heard of bagels west of NY - and was only a couple of decades behind the pizza explosion.

Anyhow the boiling and strong flour requirements hold for Bagels. If someone has some other ideas they can invent their own name for their 'circle with a hole' discovery - it's not a Bagel :)

I suspect the Jewish community in Finland has long ago had to forego bagels or bake their own. They are fun to nake, btw - a bit of a process but that's what makes it fun - and good place to use the malt syrup I got from UK when Amazon had their 'UK free shipment' glory days.

Rosamunda

Post by Rosamunda » Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:01 pm

Brooklyn Cafe on Fredrikinkatu makes their own.

harryc

Post by harryc » Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:04 pm

Yes I know - but they are very expensive 'breads with a hole'

Thanks - but no thanks :D

blimp

Post by blimp » Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:09 pm

harryc wrote:Yes I know - but they are very expensive 'breads with a hole'

Thanks - but no thanks :D
Have you thought about opening your own authentic NYC bagel business in Finland?

harryc

Post by harryc » Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:47 am

"
Have you thought about opening your own authentic NYC bagel business in Finland?"

I've introduced a number of items commercially to Finland over the years including food items. But I think I'll leave this one to others :D

(They can also make some good pastrami*** and corned beef and latkes - and the NY Jewish rye - not to forget Nathan's/Hebrew National type franks---- wasn't Jewish myself but had a couple of uncles that were))

'''' One German meat processor - 'K-something' - has gotten something they CALL Pastrami into Finland for number of years - but is AWFUL. Anybody who's been to Caranegie or Katz' knows what I mean

llewellyn

Post by llewellyn » Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:50 am

harryc wrote: In any case, the NY bagel is the origin of the 'bagel' culture west of the Vistula plains. When I was a kid no one ever heard of bagels west of NY - and was only a couple of decades behind the pizza explosion.
But what about Montreal? - people say it's the Montreal bagels that are the real deal... (Sorry, just wanted to be mischievous!)

harryc

Post by harryc » Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:07 am

You're quite right - Montréal has, I've heard, a lot of really, really good bagels and would be as good as any authentic ones from NYC.

The warning, though, is - just like NYC - there are plenty of lousy ones - they are reserved in NY for the Drumpfist tourists coming into town to make the pilgrimmage to Drumpf Glower.