Moving to Finland - Tax Advice

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
ATurn1p

Post by ATurn1p » Sun Jan 22, 2017 7:05 pm

Hi there,

I will be moving to Finland from the UK (a Brefugee) shortly to live with my Finnish partner. I am currently employed in the UK for a small charity, which will allow me to work remotely from Finland. As such, I am in the situation of receiving my salary in the UK but residing in Finland. From my (limited) understanding I will pay my taxes in Finland, which is managed by the UK-Finnish treaty on double taxation. Can anyone offer me a suggestion/advice of how to go about this or a recommendation of someone/an organisation to talk to on this?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can provide some advice or recommendations! :D

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Rosamunda

Re: Moving to Finland - Tax Advice

Post by Rosamunda » Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:02 pm

I don't think the tax issue will be too difficult to solve (pre-Brexit any rate). However, dealing with KELA contributions, pension, unemployment, health insurance etc may prove to be more complicated. So you would also need to talk to KELA.
http://www.kela.fi/web/en/in-to-service ... in-finland

anonfinn

Post by anonfinn » Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:39 am

deleted
Last edited by anonfinn on Sat Jun 09, 2018 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tavastia

Post by tavastia » Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:20 am

anonfinn wrote:
ATurn1p wrote:Hi there,

I will be moving to Finland from the UK (a Brefugee) shortly to live with my Finnish partner. I am currently employed in the UK for a small charity, which will allow me to work remotely from Finland. As such, I am in the situation of receiving my salary in the UK but residing in Finland. From my (limited) understanding I will pay my taxes in Finland, which is managed by the UK-Finnish treaty on double taxation. Can anyone offer me a suggestion/advice of how to go about this or a recommendation of someone/an organisation to talk to on this?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can provide some advice or recommendations! :D
Is it not a risky time to move since your rights to reside in the EU are going to be removed by your government within 2 years? I hear that a lot of EU citizens, including Finns, are leaving the UK for that reason. British people being the instigator in all this will be affected just as bad, if not worse?

Whatever tax and residency advice you can get now is valid now, but won't be in 2 years.
No problem, if you have a job you can always apply for a residence permit based on that, even UK will be out of EU. It maybe more complicated and so on but for sure is possible.

ATurn1p

Post by ATurn1p » Wed Feb 01, 2017 4:17 pm

Thanks everyone for suggestions and comments! Much appreciated :)

AnonFinn, thanks for the comments as well. I do not feel it will be particularly risky. I remember reading (or my partner telling me) about "common-law marriage" where living together for two years would allow me to apply for residency based on that, hence why I am heading out prior to the invoking of Article 50... However, even if that does not work, I am confident that both the UK government and the EU will come to a reasonable agreement based on the need to sustain a positive working relationship moving forwards. Any effort by either party to punish the other is going to be cutting of the nose to spite the face. Whilst I hope the EU does not go to punish the 48% of us who voted to remain and are eager to continue participating as EU citizens, whether we have the de jure right or not.

Thanks again all.