Plans on moving to Finland

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
Asiamies

Post by Asiamies » Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:04 pm

Hello.

My girlfriend is planning to move to Finland this year in December so we can live together. She is under 21, EU citizen (Romania), general education completed, she doesn't aspire for a higher education (such as university) because she's passionate about a job that doesn't require anything but specialized courses. She's currently employed in Romania as a part time worker , is having half of the funds already for being able to move here, will be unemployed by the time she has to fill in the papers for a residence permit. Would there be any possibilities for Finland to reject her residence permit considering the fact that she's unemployed and doesn't seek for a higher education, but has enough funds, learns finnish, is seeking for a fulltime job in Finland and she will be also in cohabitation with me? We're been for 2 years together and we kept traveling to eachother's countries. We want to close the distance and finally live together. So, is there any reason or possibility for her residence permit to be declined? How long do you have to live in Finland before a permanent residence would be accepted?

I am a native Finnish person.

Thanks

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

rinso

Re: Plans on moving to Finland

Post by rinso » Thu Feb 02, 2017 6:48 am

Asiamies wrote:Hello.

My girlfriend is planning to move to Finland this year in December so we can live together. She is under 21, EU citizen (Romania), general education completed, she doesn't aspire for a higher education (such as university) because she's passionate about a job that doesn't require anything but specialized courses. She's currently employed in Romania as a part time worker , is having half of the funds already for being able to move here, will be unemployed by the time she has to fill in the papers for a residence permit. Would there be any possibilities for Finland to reject her residence permit considering the fact that she's unemployed and doesn't seek for a higher education, but has enough funds, learns finnish, is seeking for a fulltime job in Finland and she will be also in cohabitation with me? We're been for 2 years together and we kept traveling to eachother's countries. We want to close the distance and finally live together. So, is there any reason or possibility for her residence permit to be declined? How long do you have to live in Finland before a permanent residence would be accepted?

Thanks
As EU citizen she doesn't need a residence permit. But she needs to register with the police. They can refuse however if she has insufficient income/funds to support herself. Visit migri.fi for details.

- learning Finnish will take longer than you expect.
- finding a job as foreigner without specialized education will be difficult.
- getting married makes the registration process much easier.

brexit

Post by brexit » Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:19 pm

Asiamies wrote:Hello.

Thanks
Your girlfriend can just move in here and start looking for the work. One of the EU philosophy is freedom of movement.

anonfinn

Post by anonfinn » Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:03 pm

deleted