Question about name changes??

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
randomperson2299

Post by randomperson2299 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:18 am

I have a question about name changes here in Finland. I've been living here for 3 years or so with my husband. Came over here to live with my husband.

I want to know how you'd legally go about changing your name over here? Can I even do so without a citizenship? I have a residence permit of course because marriage reasons but yeah. I wanna change my first and last name. I've been wanting to change my first name for awhile because people say my name incorrectly over here and it bugs me so XD. Yeah how do i legally go about changing my name overe here?

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Upphew

Re: Question about name changes??

Post by Upphew » Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:15 pm

randomperson2299 wrote:I have a question about name changes here in Finland. I've been living here for 3 years or so with my husband. Came over here to live with my husband.

I want to know how you'd legally go about changing your name over here? Can I even do so without a citizenship? I have a residence permit of course because marriage reasons but yeah. I wanna change my first and last name. I've been wanting to change my first name for awhile because people say my name incorrectly over here and it bugs me so XD. Yeah how do i legally go about changing my name overe here?
http://www.suomi.fi/suomifi/english/ser ... index.html
http://google.com http://translate.google.com http://urbandictionary.com
Visa is for visiting, Residence Permit for residing.

randomperson2299

Post by randomperson2299 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:02 am

randomperson2299 wrote:I have a question about name changes here in Finland. I've been living here for 3 years or so with my husband. Came over here to live with my husband.

Yeah that'snot really what my question was about. I have a residence permit and identity code. I am just asking how to legally change my first and last name. How to go about that.

wolf80

Post by wolf80 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:40 am

randomperson2299 wrote:
Yeah that'snot really what my question was about. I have a residence permit and identity code. I am just asking how to legally change my first and last name. How to go about that.
How does the following sentence not help you? 'A person who is resident in Finland and registered in the Finnish population register may change their first or last name in Finland. Depending on the circumstances, name changes may be made by submitting an application or notifying a register office.'

It helps to read the information when sb is already so nice to give you a link!

Rosamunda

Post by Rosamunda » Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:57 pm

A person who is resident in Finland and registered in the Finnish population register may change their first or last name in Finland. Depending on the circumstances, name changes may be made by submitting an application or notifying a register office.
However, it might not be possible for you to have a Finnish ID with a different name to the one on your passport. At least that is what I was told many years ago (2001) when I arrived. It seems to be on a case by case basis. Apply through the Maistraatti and tell us what happens.

foca

Post by foca » Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:11 pm

It is easy- one can change the name only if the name is changed in their national passport. So the first step is to go to your embassy and change the name in your passport , only after that you can change the name in the Finnish residence system (and of course you would have to apply for a new RP).
What do you want from me?????