insurance company in English

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
mykds

Re: insurance company in English

Post by mykds » Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:58 am

maurello wrote:... Ultimately it would be best if the bigger companies would develop continent-wide products in English with localisation only when needed. Think about the cost savings... no wonder EU goes baloney, only its websites are in 24 languages! massive cost and complexity... but you know, I will always be an idealist on this topic...
And what about the millions of people that don't speak the english language? Sounds a bit ignorant to me to say that translating the eu website to 24 languages is a waste of money. :-(

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

maurello

Post by maurello » Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:34 am

mykds wrote:And what about the millions of people that don't speak the english language? Sounds a bit ignorant to me to say that translating the eu website to 24 languages is a waste of money. :-(
I take the feedback, you are right. The way to go then is to have ALL websites and services in the continent in 24 languages. That would make finally this continent work in its key value, freedom of movement. My bet (and hope) is that technology will beat legislators, i.e. we will have some fancy gadget translating in real time.

maurello

Post by maurello » Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:43 am

wolf80 wrote:Good luck there, considering the insurance company actually has the right to make sure you understand the contract and might even be required by law to do so. Your signature is the symbol of agreement to the contract, but agreement requires understanding. If you don't understand the contract you can't legally agree, which means the contract is not valid.
Actually this was one of the key point. You are correct saying that the policy holder must understand terms and conditions and that the entity delivering the service has to secure the contract is understood. But, this is not only a matter of language.

I raised the case proposing a bet to the Customer Ombudsman. In my household we have 4 Master Degrees and 1 Executive MBA between my wife and me. Let's take a Finn who can speak perfectly the language but has only basic education in the same room. Give us your terms and conditions in Finnish and let us use only Google Translator, no other assistance. After 1 hour, interview us, and see who understands better the contract :wink:

mykds

Post by mykds » Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:09 am

maurello wrote:... i.e. we will have some fancy gadget translating in real time.
You already have the fancy and efficient google translator :lol: :mrgreen: