Retire in Finland Blog

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
Flossy1978

Re: Retire in Finland Blog

Post by Flossy1978 » Thu Nov 17, 2016 11:49 pm

Kind of an overdramatisation to leave your country because who you wanted to win your election didn't. It is still America and Trump might actually do a lot of good. He certainly couldn't mess the country up any worse than it currently is.

The grass is not always greener on the other side of the fence. Just remember that.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

wolf80

Post by wolf80 » Fri Nov 18, 2016 12:15 am

Flossy1978 wrote:Kind of an overdramatisation to leave your country because who you wanted to win your election didn't. It is still America and Trump might actually do a lot of good. He certainly couldn't mess the country up any worse than it currently is.
Well, she also thinks she has family here because she has cousins. Of course, I don't know the people involved, but I never met Finns who considered cousins still as family. Cousins get a Christmas card at best, and that's it.

I see the biggest problem in the longterm plan. The planning is of course a big adventure. The moving even more. The first couple of months might still be a part of it. But then reality will hit. Especially if you moved to end-of-nowhere-mäki. Where there are no cultural activities. No American community, or foreigner community at all. Especially for the husband it will be hard. Already when speaking the language it will be extremely hard to find any people to talk to. Finns are very hard to make friends, especially with foreigners. You will always be the outsiders. The husband has boring years of language training ahead of him. It's one of the hardest languages to learn, and it's not getting any easier with age. He will be stuck in a country where he doesn't understand the culture, the mentality, the language. Without friends. He won't be invited by other people. And neighbors and village folks probably won't take any invitations by you. If they stop long enough to listen to you anyway. In a country where nobody talks to anybody else anyway you will be the outsiders. I honestly think it will only be a matter of time until you will go back to the US.

Pursuivant

Post by Pursuivant » Fri Nov 18, 2016 12:59 am

Come on now, Finland countryside has always had "village idiots".
"By the pricking of my thumbs,
Something wicked this way comes."

Piet

Post by Piet » Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:44 pm

I am living in Finland and I am retired, living both in urban and "mäki" (depends on the time of year 8) ) and all they say about Fins here on the forum is true, but most depends on your own character, if you are Extrovert, you will find you have a certain power over Fins because they are for sure not.
Being extrovert helps you make friends even if they do not want to be your friend in the beginning. All will depend eventually on being straight and blunt and mix this with a gourmet of well dosed politeness (Fins are not polite at all).
Success guaranteed even in Savo (just need to talk less there and give a beer now and then :lol: ).

Also the choice of residential area will greatly influence your success to connect with other Fins, in the direction of Karelia you will find people are warmer but more superficial than for example near the gulf of botnia (turku vaasa oulu) where people are more stubborn, closed up, but when defrosted, can have deep friendship relations with, that last forever.

So a country of extremes both in weather, scenery, temperature, amount of mosquitoes, people and trees or lack of them.

Anyway, I am enjoying myself here, having some nice hobbies helps a lot too.

So please be welcome, and spend your money here like I do, it helps this country (and it really needs that :? ).
If god would give us the source code, we could change the world

AldenG

Post by AldenG » Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:21 am

Flossy1978 wrote: It is still America and Trump might actually do a lot of good. He certainly couldn't mess the country up any worse than it currently is.
Just wait and see.

For now all I'll say is that very much is not what it superficially appears.

We're going to see one of the most spectacular and unbelievable series of events in American political and financial history starting very soon. Brexit will pale in comparison. The wheels have been turning a long time around Trump, but his unexpectedly winning the election has hastened the coming denouement while raising the stakes and eliminating most of the alternative scenarios.
As he persisted, I was obliged to tootle him gently at first and then, seeing no improvement, to trumpet him vigorously with my horn.

AldenG

Post by AldenG » Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:49 am

AldenG wrote:
Flossy1978 wrote: It is still America and Trump might actually do a lot of good. He certainly couldn't mess the country up any worse than it currently is.
Just wait and see.

For now all I'll say is that very much is not what it superficially appears.

We're going to see one of the most spectacular and unbelievable series of events in American political and financial history starting very soon. Brexit will pale in comparison. The wheels have been turning a long time around Trump, but his unexpectedly winning the election has hastened the coming denouement while raising the stakes and eliminating most of the alternative scenarios.
I swear I didn't know as I wrote that that the first of many steps to come was either unfolding at that very moment or began to do so shortly before or after. I heard it only moments ago. I was doing other things this afternoon and evening and wasn't on the infoteat. I haven't yet learned exactly when today the Russian kompromat angle was publicly acknowledged.

But I was not writing only about one single revelation or area in which revelations will occur. Today's revelation before Obama's final speech is only the beginning. I hope it's obvious I don't have and am not claiming any kind of classified access and wouldn't be writing about such things if I did. I don't have that kind of access now and never had it in Finland or later. 100% civilian I am. Nor is anybody with access leaking to me. I just integrate from a bunch of public but highly qualified sources, some offbeat or esoteric but all with good track records.
As he persisted, I was obliged to tootle him gently at first and then, seeing no improvement, to trumpet him vigorously with my horn.

Chaapa

Post by Chaapa » Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:23 pm

Thank you Piet for the warm welcome.

Rosamunda

Post by Rosamunda » Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:45 pm

Just read your latest blog post on winter darkness. It sounds familiar - pretty much my own thoughts the first time I came to Finland. That was 15 years ago. I don't enjoy the winter: both the darkness and the lack of colour have a pernicious effect on my mood. It is something that builds up during the winter (and over the years), especially when the snowfall is barely noticeable (like this year) which compounds the feeling on gloominess. By February I have had enough of winter but knowing that I won't be seeing any flowers, leaves or doing any gardening or foraging until mid-May just makes me want to curl up and sleep. The darkness usually takes hold in October (varying slightly from one year to the next) but there is no colour until the birch trees leaf which, down south, is the first week in May. That adds up to about six months of dismal, monochrome landscapes. Occasionally there is a beautiful sunny day with blue skies and it really is wonderful. But in recent years, those days seem to be few and far between.

For sure, if you don't have to work you can 'slow down', sleep in, read books and the like but apart from the internet and movies, the opportunities for cultural distraction are limited unless you speak the language (in which case there are plenty of things to do). I'm glad I work, it keeps me busy through the winter, but I won't be spending my retirement in Finland during the winter months - I've already taken care of that.

I guess I just wanted to warn you that you should be careful about evaluating your preparedness for Finnish winters based on a one-week trip in January. Our neighbours (retired) spend their winters in the Far East and I have other (retired) friends who spend winter in France, Spain, Thailand etc.

BTW your tax calculations looked about right (I didn't check the numbers in detail) but the biggest differences are probably on 'cost of living' things like transport (gas, car, public transport etc) and rent (if you don't have a rent or mortgage then the numbers are easy). As you say, food is not hugely expensive here (except for good quality meat, fish and other fresh produce) and eating differently (porridge for breakfast) can reduce the food bills.

Chaapa

Post by Chaapa » Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:48 pm

Thank you Rosamunda for a very thoughtful reply. I live in Massachusetts now where it is beautiful in the summertime but dismal in the winter-- a lot like Finland only not dark for such a long time. Fortunately I speak enough Finnish to carry on conversation, so I won't be quite so isolated. I am getting better at reading it also by practicing. I read parts of HS most days with my translation app open for words I don't know. Your friends are fortunate to be able to leave in the winter. As for me, right now I would love to see flowers and green leaves, but they are still quite a few weeks away. Because I my job I am not able to fly somewhere to enjoy them so I wait....

I'm glad you read the blog. You motivate me to keep posting.

Chaapa

Post by Chaapa » Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:19 am

Update: we are still making progress on our plan. We had a small setback due to some property we need to sell in the US. It didn't go as smoothly as we had expected. Still not sold but looking more hopeful now. My husband got his residence permit in hand. We are selling our possessions as fast as we can using eBay..During this we continue to work and make plans, think about possible cities to live in, what kind of apartment we can get and so forth. Hoping to get there maybe this summer.

Rosamunda

Post by Rosamunda » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:09 am

Chaapa wrote:Thank you Rosamunda for a very thoughtful reply. I live in Massachusetts now where it is beautiful in the summertime but dismal in the winter-- a lot like Finland only not dark for such a long time. Fortunately I speak enough Finnish to carry on conversation, so I won't be quite so isolated. I am getting better at reading it also by practicing. I read parts of HS most days with my translation app open for words I don't know. Your friends are fortunate to be able to leave in the winter. As for me, right now I would love to see flowers and green leaves, but they are still quite a few weeks away. Because I my job I am not able to fly somewhere to enjoy them so I wait....

I'm glad you read the blog. You motivate me to keep posting.
I've lived in Massachusetts too, just for a year, in Boxborough - working in Acton/Maynard. I don't remember seeing much snow while I was there and, for sure, it was nothing like as dark as here. I guess the min/max temperatures are about the same as Espoo though. I don't remember it being too dismal; but like I said, I was only there for a year, had a fabulous time, everything was new and fun. The weather wasn't a big deal.

Chaapa

Post by Chaapa » Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:54 pm

Edited post. Sorry about repeating myself. 8)

Chaapa

Post by Chaapa » Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:24 am

Getting ready to make the move to Finland and I've found an apartment I want to buy. Don't know if this is relevant, but it's a new apartment. The sales office told me what I need to pay and the schedule for payments. No big deal. But here's the catch: I can't just transfer money from the USA via some international funds transfer. I've been told the money has to come from a Finnish bank account. I don't live in Finland yet and don't have a Finnish bank account. I have looked and looked online at various banks to find one that will allow me to open an account online. No deal. I called Osuuspankki this morning and I was told I have to appear in person at the bank with documents to prove my identity and once I've don't that, opening the account is no big deal. Transfers will be no big deal . I just have to fly to Finland first. I wish I had known this earlier, I might have opened an account when I was there in December...Sheesh!

Upphew

Post by Upphew » Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:57 am

Chaapa wrote:Getting ready to make the move to Finland and I've found an apartment I want to buy. Don't know if this is relevant, but it's a new apartment. The sales office told me what I need to pay and the schedule for payments. No big deal. But here's the catch: I can't just transfer money from the USA via some international funds transfer. I've been told the money has to come from a Finnish bank account. I don't live in Finland yet and don't have a Finnish bank account. I have looked and looked online at various banks to find one that will allow me to open an account online. No deal. I called Osuuspankki this morning and I was told I have to appear in person at the bank with documents to prove my identity and once I've don't that, opening the account is no big deal. Transfers will be no big deal . I just have to fly to Finland first. I wish I had known this earlier, I might have opened an account when I was there in December...Sheesh!
Money laundering laws and FATCA...
http://google.com http://translate.google.com http://urbandictionary.com
Visa is for visiting, Residence Permit for residing.

justaguy

Post by justaguy » Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:59 am

Chaapa wrote:Getting ready to make the move to Finland and I've found an apartment I want to buy. Don't know if this is relevant, but it's a new apartment. The sales office told me what I need to pay and the schedule for payments. No big deal. But here's the catch: I can't just transfer money from the USA via some international funds transfer. I've been told the money has to come from a Finnish bank account. I don't live in Finland yet and don't have a Finnish bank account. I have looked and looked online at various banks to find one that will allow me to open an account online. No deal. I called Osuuspankki this morning and I was told I have to appear in person at the bank with documents to prove my identity and once I've don't that, opening the account is no big deal. Transfers will be no big deal . I just have to fly to Finland first. I wish I had known this earlier, I might have opened an account when I was there in December...Sheesh!
Seriously what banks actually allow you to open an account online? :roll: None that I have ever heard of. The only thing you can open online is a Bitcoin wallet.

There might be some banks in the canary islands or whatever that you can open an account online with, or other banks that only the richest of the rich can use. Still I've never ever heard of it.