Changing the first name and residence permit

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
RicsterS

Post by RicsterS » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:32 am

Hello all,

For personal reasons, I'm going to change my first name in my home country (Non-EU) during this summer. I'm a student in Finland and I hold student residence permit. My question is;

After I change my first name in my home country, can I enter Finland my current residence permit card and the notary approved English translation of the court order which states that I've legally changed my first name? I'll report my name change to Maistraatti and Poliisi, once I enter the Finland.

If showing the court order may not work for the border police, what else I can do? Is it possible to inform Maistraatti and Poliisi about my name change before I go back to my home country for this summer?

First-name change is a very specific topic and I couldn't find any helpful information online.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Upphew

Re: Changing the first name and residence permit

Post by Upphew » Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:53 am

RicsterS wrote:Hello all,

For personal reasons, I'm going to change my first name in my home country (Non-EU) during this summer. I'm a student in Finland and I hold student residence permit. My question is;

After I change my first name in my home country, can I enter Finland my current residence permit card and the notary approved English translation of the court order which states that I've legally changed my first name? I'll report my name change to Maistraatti and Poliisi, once I enter the Finland.

If showing the court order may not work for the border police, what else I can do? Is it possible to inform Maistraatti and Poliisi about my name change before I go back to my home country for this summer?

First-name change is a very specific topic and I couldn't find any helpful information online.
New name -> new passport -> new RP card. As per faq in migri.fi "Your residence permit card must have the same personal data as your passport."
http://google.com http://translate.google.com http://urbandictionary.com
Visa is for visiting, Residence Permit for residing.

betelgeuse

Re: Changing the first name and residence permit

Post by betelgeuse » Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:29 pm

RicsterS wrote: After I change my first name in my home country, can I enter Finland my current residence permit card and the notary approved English translation of the court order which states that I've legally changed my first name? I'll report my name change to Maistraatti and Poliisi, once I enter the Finland.

You could apply for a visa with the new name same as in the case where you loose the card:
If you lose your card while abroad, report the loss of your card, and if your card is stolen, report the theft to the authorities of the country you are visiting. You should contact the Finnish embassy, who is responsible for issuing any visa that may be required. You must then submit an application for a new card at a service point of the Finnish Immigration Service in Finland. If the embassy does not grant you a visa, you must submit a new residence permit application at the embassy in order to return to Finland.
When you change your name in your country does your passport still stay valid? If it does, there could be the option to travel back under the old name.