80 Euro Fine

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
Beep_Boop

Re: 80 Euro Fine

Post by Beep_Boop » Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:14 pm

lolalo wrote:Does anybody know what happens if I don't pay the fine? :? She told me I had a week to pay but didn't tell me anything about what happens afterwards...
You get a second payment notification, and if you don't pay, then it goes to debt collection. After that, if you don't pay, it goes on your on your bill payment record and stays there for a period of time (2 years? I'm not sure, but maybe). You'll have a difficult time renting a house if you don't have a clean payment record. Same applies if you apply for a job where you handle money stuff.

Somebody knows better, but I think you can contest it in court. Although, I don't know anybody ever got out of paying the 80 euro fine from HSL.

Every case is unique. You can't measure the result of your application based on arbitrary anecdotes online.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

wolf80

Post by wolf80 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:46 pm

lolalo wrote:Hi! I got a fine 2 days ago (my card didn't work at the bus machine and I completely forgot to pass it again when entering the metro... The inspectors came and put a fine. I did tell her what happened but I had the penalty anyways... she was right, it was my responsability but it was just a mistake! I normally pay!!). I don't have a finnish ID yet and gave her my national one. She "created" an ID based on my date of birth and put my second surname as if it was my first name. I'm unemployed (currently looking for a job here) and I can't afford paying the 80€ fine... I went to the office and told them what happened and they told me to go penalty office but I didn't dare going (in case they asked me for my ID and put the fine correctly). Does anybody know what happens if I don't pay the fine? :? She told me I had a week to pay but didn't tell me anything about what happens afterwards...
I'd really appreciate if you could help me please.
Thank you.
Can you tell about your status here, as it seems weird that you don't have a Finnish ID number. Did you not register with the police and Maistratti when you arrived? Are you an EU citizen?

In general, if you want to stay in Finland you should pay the fine. As Beep_Boop explained, it will only get worse, and they will always find you. Having a bad credit rating that can haunt you for a long time just because of a small fine is not a reasonable choice. If you are an EU citizen the collecting agency might easily find you in your home country, and by that time the total amount you have to pay can be several hundred Euro or more.

If you really can't pay the fine at once you should go to the penalty office, explain your situation and that you are willing to pay, and ask nicely if it would be possible to pay in two or more installments. They might have mercy on you and allow it (but no guarantees).

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:18 am

Beep_Boop wrote:
lolalo wrote:Does anybody know what happens if I don't pay the fine? :? She told me I had a week to pay but didn't tell me anything about what happens afterwards...
You get a second payment notification, and if you don't pay, then it goes to debt collection. After that, if you don't pay, it goes on your on your bill payment record and stays there for a period of time (2 years? I'm not sure, but maybe). You'll have a difficult time renting a house if you don't have a clean payment record. Same applies if you apply for a job where you handle money stuff.
A matter going to enforcement is not something that the law allows to show up in a credit report. Only if you are deemed to be without assets or it's a long term case, do you get a marking through enforcement.

http://www.finlex.fi/fi/laki/ajantasa/2 ... 0527#L4P13

Flossy1978

Post by Flossy1978 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:38 am

Gees.... Lets all ignore the laws of the country we are living in and try to get out of paying fines, which were your OWN fault! Stupid excuses don't exempt you from paying fines. Can't stand people who think they are "special" and above the law, when most other people can follow simple laws.

As for living on 80euros a month. What a load of s**t. Unless you are getting food, rent, your bills etc all covered. Even then, 80euros for anything else isn't going to last a month. And who cares anyway? You did the crime, pay the fine, instead of being a s**t human. Do the right thing.

harryc

Post by harryc » Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:49 am

This story somehow pales when I think of the PILES of 80 Euro parking tickets collected by some people in Helsinki. The city parking people say the collecting system is pretty weak.

A side question that comes to mind - how can someone live in Finland for 80 Euro a month - free dwelling, free food, free transport etc. etc.-- ??

Honest

Post by Honest » Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:45 am

If you don't have to pay for accommodation you can live on 80 euros. Use a bicycle and eat very basic food . Many foreign students spend less than 100 euros/month on the needs other than accommodation.

Upphew

Post by Upphew » Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:06 am

harryc wrote:This story somehow pales when I think of the PILES of 80 Euro parking tickets collected by some people in Helsinki. The city parking people say the collecting system is pretty weak.
Collecting system is a ok, imo. Only CD-plates and foreign plates would be a problem. Proper parking tickets, not the private stuff, can be enforced without court hearing. So if you don't pay even after the 14€(?) late fee, then it can be taken from your tax returns, wages, etc. Not using that option doesn't mean the system is weak.
http://google.com http://translate.google.com http://urbandictionary.com
Visa is for visiting, Residence Permit for residing.

harryc

Post by harryc » Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:11 am

When I talk to the 'city guys' on the street - they say there is no 'tehokas' system to collect the old fines - they feel they just waste their time when it comes to a question of scofflaws.

"So if you don't pay even after the 14€(?) late fee, then it can be taken from your tax returns, wages, etc."

It's in the law but doesn't happen in practice

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:21 pm

harryc wrote:When I talk to the 'city guys' on the street - they say there is no 'tehokas' system to collect the old fines - they feel they just waste their time when it comes to a question of scofflaws.

"So if you don't pay even after the 14€(?) late fee, then it can be taken from your tax returns, wages, etc."

It's in the law but doesn't happen in practice
If it doesn't happen in practise, why did the enforcement target 540 422 deptors in 2015? Are you trying to say for some reason they act on everything else besides parking tickets?
Vuoden 2015 aikana oli ulosoton perintätoimien kohteena 540 422 velallista, mikä on 0,8 % enemmän kuin edellisvuonna.
http://www.valtakunnanvoudinvirasto.fi/ ... a_2015.pdf

justaguy

Post by justaguy » Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:53 am

cors187 wrote:
I know a case where a conductor threw a passenger out of a long distance train because the passenger was unavailable to pay for a ticket with a card.
I traveled to Helsinki by train on friday and for the lack of my train experience found out that visa electron is not a valid payment method.The ticket seller just lowered his voice and said , "ok,next time you pay on the station platform , the machines accept electron".
Been there done that. I had to get off at the next stop and the conductor was not impressed. I went to my bank the next day and asked them for a debit card and have since never looked back.
lolalo wrote:Hi! I got a fine 2 days ago (my card didn't work at the bus machine and I completely forgot to pass it again when entering the metro... The inspectors came and put a fine. I did tell her what happened but I had the penalty anyways... she was right, it was my responsability but it was just a mistake! I normally pay!!). I don't have a finnish ID yet and gave her my national one. She "created" an ID based on my date of birth and put my second surname as if it was my first name. I'm unemployed (currently looking for a job here) and I can't afford paying the 80€ fine... I went to the office and told them what happened and they told me to go penalty office but I didn't dare going (in case they asked me for my ID and put the fine correctly). Does anybody know what happens if I don't pay the fine? :? She told me I had a week to pay but didn't tell me anything about what happens afterwards...
I'd really appreciate if you could help me please.
Thank you.
Basically it goes to debt collection. It takes ages but the amount goes up and it starts to damage your credit rating. When people do a search on you for renting apartments etc. you'll be seen to have a bad level of credit and most won't rent to you etc. Also it will stop you from being able to get credit cards or basically do anything that requires good credit standing. Just pay the fine.

Just pay the fine. It doesn't matter if the name or some other information are wrong. They will still find you and ask you to pay. Apart from not being a European citizen, you could just go back to the other side of the world and not pay it lol. But if you are studying and living here, you will have to end up paying eventually. Unless you want to come into serious credit and financial issues in the future.

Just be more mindful and pay the ticket next time.