Renewal of residence card time?

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
ilikepeanutbutter

Post by ilikepeanutbutter » Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:44 pm

I have permanent residence and have to renew my card here soon. I was wondering how long that would take at Helsinki migri? In the old days it was like a month...anyone have idea?

*edited to say* I know they have a HUGE back up going on with processing...guessing that affects renewal cards too?

Thanks!

Kat

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Beep_Boop

Re: Renewal of residence card time?

Post by Beep_Boop » Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:44 pm

You're in a tricky situation. Back when Poliisi used to handle card renewals (including issuing replacement for lost cards), case officers had the authority to make a decision on the spot about approving applications. Anything not approved on the spot went into a queue for processing (this includes if police suspects fraud after you claim "losing" your card, or suspicion that your residence situation has changed, etc.). There was no instant refusal as that had to go strictly in the queue, so only instant approval or queue. A few years ago, going in the queue meant about 3-4 weeks of processing time.

As far as I know from sources in Migri, new employees hired in the recent wave haven't been trained to issue instant approvals. Don't quote me on that, but if I had to guess I'd say they either want everything to go in the queue or that this training will come later. Now this raises the question about the case where an older case officer working on your application, will they instantly approve or will it go in the queue?

Long story short: The situation is a big mess in Migri now. Nobody will be able to give you any reliable information before you actually go on your appointment day, submit your application, and ask the person behind the counter.
Every case is unique. You can't measure the result of your application based on arbitrary anecdotes online.

ilikepeanutbutter

Post by ilikepeanutbutter » Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:30 pm

Beep_Boop wrote:You're in a tricky situation. Back when Poliisi used to handle card renewals (including issuing replacement for lost cards), case officers had the authority to make a decision on the spot about approving applications. Anything not approved on the spot went into a queue for processing (this includes if police suspects fraud after you claim "losing" your card, or suspicion that your residence situation has changed, etc.). There was no instant refusal as that had to go strictly in the queue, so only instant approval or queue. A few years ago, going in the queue meant about 3-4 weeks of processing time.

As far as I know from sources in Migri, new employees hired in the recent wave haven't been trained to issue instant approvals. Don't quote me on that, but if I had to guess I'd say they either want everything to go in the queue or that this training will come later. Now this raises the question about the case where an older case officer working on your application, will they instantly approve or will it go in the queue?

Long story short: The situation is a big mess in Migri now. Nobody will be able to give you any reliable information before you actually go on your appointment day, submit your application, and ask the person behind the counter.
Thanks for the info! Yeah I hope it all gets sorted out for everyone. Figures my card goes old right when the huge change goes :roll: lol.

Thanks again! :)

Kat

justaguy

Post by justaguy » Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:02 pm

I don't get it. I thought the permanent permit was valid forever, or until otherwise invalidated for some reason? If you're just talking about the card expiry date, what's the point of the card expiring if the permit doesn't expire?

Is it really that important that you renew it? I would only bother if you were travelling. I don't really see any other reason to keep the card with you anywhere except to show border security or airline clerks when(if) they ask for it.

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:18 pm

justaguy wrote:I don't get it. I thought the permanent permit was valid forever, or until otherwise invalidated for some reason? If you're just talking about the card expiry date, what's the point of the card expiring if the permit doesn't expire?
By your logic what's the point of a passport expiring?
justaguy wrote: Is it really that important that you renew it? I would only bother if you were travelling. I don't really see any other reason to keep the card with you anywhere except to show border security or airline clerks when(if) they ask for it.
You are required to renew it by law.

http://www.finlex.fi/fi/laki/ajantasa/2 ... 301#L4P60g

Beep_Boop

Post by Beep_Boop » Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:26 pm

justaguy wrote:what's the point of the card expiring if the permit doesn't expire?
- Updating the photo with one that reflects how you look these days.
- A "heartbeat" kind of check to generally see if your residency situation has remained the same.
- Keeping up with trends in information security (updating cryptographic algorithms used in the chip in the card, renewing keys if needed, issuing new digital signatures, etc.).
- Probably other things I cannot remember now
Every case is unique. You can't measure the result of your application based on arbitrary anecdotes online.