Recycled numbers

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
Post Reply
harryc
Posts: 1112
Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:09 pm
Location: Espoo-Helsinki

Recycled numbers

Post by harryc » Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:40 am

Is Finland really running out of numbers and NEEDS to re-use numbers? And expecially within a year.

Did I miss this in the article?

http://yle.fi/uutiset/3-9488689

Changing numbers is no easy remedy!



Recycled numbers

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic
 

Jukka Aho
Posts: 5238
Joined: Fri Apr 06, 2007 1:46 am
Location: Espoo, Finland

Re: Recycled numbers

Post by Jukka Aho » Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:36 am

harryc wrote:Is Finland really running out of numbers and NEEDS to re-use numbers? And expecially within a year.

Did I miss this in the article?

http://yle.fi/uutiset/3-9488689
The article suggests a considerable chunk of subscriber numbers are held by SIM cards which are actually not used in phones at all but in 3G/4G modems, trail cameras, buoys (!), dog GPS/GSM collars — you name it... (burglar alarms, some tablet computers, and ebook readers, too!)

I am a bit doubtful if mobile data-only scenarios technically require a subscriber number. But I would not be surprised in the slightest if telcos have these old, crummy subscriber management systems which will not work without nominally assigning each subscriber module a “telephone number” — even if that number would never get used, and actually cannot be dialed.
znark


harryc
Posts: 1112
Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:09 pm
Location: Espoo-Helsinki

Re: Recycled numbers

Post by harryc » Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:19 pm

OK - thanks comments

I do wonder why there cannot be some kind of phone number registry (Ficora - or?) and 'used' numbers kept in some kind of' buffer quarantine' for 3-5 years.


Anqrew
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:19 pm

Re: Recycled numbers

Post by Anqrew » Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:48 pm

I once lost a phone number (DNA prepaid), because I forgot to refill it in time, though there was something like a 15 euros balance still available.
I could not get my money back, nor I could get the number restored.. I had to call all places like banks to change my number which was a mess.
I don't know how it works in other countries, but here the system is very inflexible. My suggestion: always refill you sim card with the smallest amount available, don't make them cheat you with their "bonuses"


User avatar
Piet
Posts: 466
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2015 3:45 pm
Location: Finland

Re: Recycled numbers

Post by Piet » Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:05 pm

harryc wrote:OK - thanks comments

I do wonder why there cannot be some kind of phone number registry (Ficora - or?) and 'used' numbers kept in some kind of' buffer quarantine' for 3-5 years.
This is quite common in other countries with more citizens, otherwise the numbers would become too long. I know some countries use a "quarantine period" as you call it, of 6 months before a number is re-issued.

Happened to me several times, in several countries, I mean getting people that wanted to speak to the previous owner of the number. So nothing weird there, I was just amazed reading this article that it seems that until now this was apparently no common practice in Finland. I guess they did not have the need for it yet due to low population (just over 5mil.)
If god would give us the source code, we could change the world
Image


harryc
Posts: 1112
Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:09 pm
Location: Espoo-Helsinki

Re: Recycled numbers

Post by harryc » Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:15 pm

Someone needs to do the 'numbers' - but I doubt there aren't enough numbers to have a buffer period of several years-

Just 050- gives a potential of 9,999,999 numbers -

040 - another 10 million

0400 and 0500 2 million more

045 and 046 - 20 million

'Beginning' numbers no longer designate operator.


Y77
Posts: 133
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:52 am

Re: Recycled numbers

Post by Y77 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:40 am

Anqrew wrote:I once lost a phone number (DNA prepaid), because I forgot to refill it in time, though there was something like a 15 euros balance still available.
I could not get my money back, nor I could get the number restored.. I had to call all places like banks to change my number which was a mess.
I don't know how it works in other countries, but here the system is very inflexible. My suggestion: always refill you sim card with the smallest amount available, don't make them cheat you with their "bonuses"
most of the prepaid pay as you go sims requires at least 1 top up a year. I've been with DNA prepaid for 6 years and solved the problem very easily by adding an alarm on my phone which goes off a couple of weeks before expiry date. By the way I find DNA special offers very good, for example for this week there is 30% extra credit for top up over 25 euros.

Doing research online I found that the best pay as you go sim, when it comes to expyring credit and sim validity is the one offered by air baltic, which only requires a minimum of 1 call every 2 years, not even top up, just a chargable call. The problem is that you'll have an estonian number.


Post Reply