Amazon ECHO - anyone?

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
Rosamunda

Amazon ECHO - anyone?

Post by Rosamunda » Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:53 pm

Any users of Amazon ECHO in Finland and is there anything I need to know before I buy one? Is there any reason why it wouldn't work in our home (OKT in the suburbs with good WiFi).

Main reason for getting it would be music and occasional internet browsing (possibly some additional lighting features) and cos it's cool. Or would it be better to hold on and wait for the Google thing?

BTW I am pretty clueless at techy stuff - so kept it simple.

Amazon ECHO - anyone?

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Piet

Re: Amazon ECHO - anyone?

Post by Piet » Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:13 pm

Just make sure you have a very good firewall in your router before connecting this thing, otherwise it can be a privacy nightmare 8)
If god would give us the source code, we could change the world

Beep_Boop

Post by Beep_Boop » Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:20 pm

I have the Amazon Echo Dot, which is the smaller and cheaper version of Echo, but it doesn't have the good quality speaker. Other than that, it should be the same as the Echo. If you want to do something complex, you need to get your hands dirty with some programming and wiring. However, for music, getting the weather, and other stuff like that, you don't need any tech knowledge.

I've got it hooked to my sound system, the light control, curtain control, coffee maker, and bathroom floor heating. When wake up, I just tell it "Alexa, wake up!", and it opens the curtains and heats up the bathroom floor while I snooze for 10 more minutes. One of the better things I did in 2016 :D

P.S. you can completely disregard Piet's comment.
Every case is unique. You can't measure the result of your application based on arbitrary anecdotes online.

Rosamunda

Post by Rosamunda » Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:11 pm

Cheers.

Btw. Funniest thing I read in a long time were the FAQs for the ECHO on amazon :lol: and an article in the Guardian today about a doll's house ordered by a 6 yr old in San Diego "Alexa. Get me the dolls house" (it did) which when reported on the local news channel resulted in dozens of dolls houses being delivered to addresses all over the city. Excellent. The IoT is going to be so much fun. :twisted:

Beep_Boop

Post by Beep_Boop » Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:25 pm

roger_roger wrote:My eyes are on Google Home now. As of now, it looks to have a bit less features or integration options compared to Echo, but google has track record of improving faster (except in case of self-driving cars :wink: )
Both support custom HTTP requests. :D That's all you need to integrate with anything thanks to IFTTT.
Every case is unique. You can't measure the result of your application based on arbitrary anecdotes online.

RobertN

Post by RobertN » Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:38 pm

Hi,

I just wanted to ask where you purchased your Echo Dot?

It seems Amazon.de and Amazon.uk are not shipping that product to Finland.

I really want to order one!

Thanks,
Robert

Beep_Boop

Post by Beep_Boop » Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:45 pm

I got mine from eBay. It was 5 euros more expensive than from Amazon, but it ships to Finland.

morie

Post by morie » Thu May 04, 2017 10:46 am

Can we change the voice to a male voice?

sherryummen

Post by sherryummen » Thu May 04, 2017 1:12 pm

Which Ebay did you buy UK or Germany? I am checking the prices in UK and Germany and there is quite a much difference. Do you still have the link from where you bought it?

Thanks

Danskulainen

Post by Danskulainen » Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:58 pm

Hi Rosamunda (and the rest of you)!

I'm getting my Amazon Echo today also to Finland. Is there anything I should be aware of in order to make it work properly?