Uk citizen buying summer cottage in Finland

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
Tree

Post by Tree » Fri Mar 03, 2017 4:38 pm

Hello any input would be appreciated....
My situation...
Uk citizen
Lived in Finland for 1 year when I was traveling a few years ago and loved it.
Have part time work in the uk which brings a reliable small income
Thinking I can travel back and forth a couple times each year to work/visit (under current eu rules)
Have found several potential properties (remote summer cottages) I could afford

As far as I understand it foreigners can own property in Finland now?
As my Finnish is still poor Should I employ a Finnish solicitor to handle the purchase?
Aside from the property tax are there any other costs im missing?
The biggie.... I know no one really knows what will happen yet but I would welcome opinions...If / when brexit happens any thoughts on how that would change my situation as a British citizen... (just to make things realy complicated....i am currently resident in Scotland so I may be eligible for Scottish citizenship and Scotland may stay in eu )
My income is enough to for me to live on,( I am frugal...) but not enough for residency, €12000!... assuming that figure is annual income or is it money in the bank?
Debating whether to drive my uk car Toyota aygo over this spring to look at properties (northern/eastern Finland) when is the earliest I should travel? Or better to hire? Cheap flights not an option as taking the dog.
Anything else glaringly obvious im not seeing?

Thank you for looking,
Tree.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Rosamunda

Re: Uk citizen buying summer cottage in Finland

Post by Rosamunda » Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:57 pm

Tree wrote: Have found several potential properties (remote summer cottages) I could afford
Well, there is no shortage of remote cabins and cottages up for grabs. Be prepared to haggle, especially if they are 'remote'.
Aside from the property tax are there any other costs im missing?
Depends on your tax situation and how long you spend/work in Finland versus the UK. You would need to prove that you spend most of your time in the UK and are resident there for tax purposes.
I know no one really knows what will happen yet but I would welcome opinions...
Some things are already happening such as the fluctuations in the exchange rate. Your £ would have gone much further before 23/6/2016. If you are paying cash for the cottage then your exposure to exchange rates is less. (I assume you are paying cash, it is unlikely that you would get a loan on a remote property. They are virtually worthless these days unless they come with a sizeable plot (forest).)
Debating whether to drive my uk car Toyota aygo over this spring to look at properties (northern/eastern Finland) when is the earliest I should travel? .
How far north/east? http://cdn.fmi.fi/weather-observations/ ... 1703031940
Approx 80 cm snow in Kuhmo. I wouldn't bother house hunting until the beginning or May. Remote cottages might not even be accessible before then. Not all forest roads are cleared in winter.

I think you are wasting your time buying. If you are prepared to drive over once or twice a year, then just rent a mökki as and when you need it. These remote cottages are all 'affordable' for one reason: no one wants them because they are remote, expensive to maintain, expensive to get to... You'll soon get bored sitting on a ferry for hours on end then driving across Sweden, with or without your dog.

rinso

Post by rinso » Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:18 am

These remote cottages are all 'affordable' for one reason: no one wants them because they are remote, expensive to maintain, expensive to get to...
The price of a cottage depends on several factors, i.e.; location (1hr from a town is very attractive), next to a lake (almost priceless) or amount of wood on the property. Also the condition is a critical factor. And if you're not local and don't know all the "handymen" in the area, proper maintenance will be difficult and expensive. And sometimes it needs a major investment (i.e. a septic tank) before you're allowed to use it. So if it's affordable it's probably not worth it.

Tree

Post by Tree » Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:04 pm

Hi thanks for the imput,

[/quote]
Well, there is no shortage of remote cabins and cottages up for grabs. Be prepared to haggle, especially if they are 'remote'.

I was wondering about haggling

[/quote]
Depends on your tax situation and how long you spend/work in Finland versus the UK. You would need to prove that you spend most of your time in the UK and are resident there for tax purposes. [/quote]

I don't make enough to pay income tax in uk.... and for same reason I don't think I'd get residency in Finland so I'd be a long term visitor I guess?...would I need to prove anything to Finnish authorities in that regard then?

[/quote]
I wouldn't bother house hunting until the beginning or May. [/quote]

Thanks I was thinking May but wasn't sure if my city Toyota would be out of its depth literally(will be changing it for a wee van at end of year)

[/quote]You'll soon get bored sitting on a ferry for hours on end then driving across Sweden, with or without your dog.[/quote]

I love traveling, it's staying still that drives me nuts!

[/quote]And sometimes it needs a major investment (i.e. a septic tank)

I thought dry/compost toilets were normal in Finland (not wierd things for hippys)

rinso

Post by rinso » Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:03 pm

And sometimes it needs a major investment (i.e. a septic tank)
I thought dry/compost toilets were normal in Finland (not wierd things for hippys)
Thanks to the EU you now need a proper wastewater removal. Either septic tank or a connection to the local sewer system.
Only places that have no access to water are exempt.

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:11 pm

rinso wrote:
And sometimes it needs a major investment (i.e. a septic tank)
Thanks to the EU you now need a proper wastewater removal. Either septic tank or a connection to the local sewer system.
Only places that have no access to water are exempt.
I am not sure if it was EU, since they are now rolling back most of the requirements. This implies it was a domestic thing.

http://www.hs.fi/politiikka/art-2000002918879.html
Tree wrote: I don't make enough to pay income tax in uk.... and for same reason I don't think I'd get residency in Finland so I'd be a long term visitor I guess?...would I need to prove anything to Finnish authorities in that regard then?
Even after UK leaves EU you can make use of the Schengen 90 day rule and stay as tourist.

Keravalainen

Post by Keravalainen » Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:57 am

Hi!
If I remember right, UK never signed the Schengen Agreement, so you better forget about that.
- However, UK passport holders can enter Finland visa free as a tourist and stay that 90 days here.

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:05 am

Keravalainen wrote: If I remember right, UK never signed the Schengen Agreement, so you better forget about that.
- However, UK passport holders can enter Finland visa free as a tourist and stay that 90 days here.
UK didn't but in Finland did. Where do you think your 90 days comes from?

Upphew

Post by Upphew » Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:19 am

Tree wrote:Aside from the property tax are there any other costs im missing?
Road and waste disposal might get you a bill too. 3/4 of roads are private, so it is likely your cottage in nowhere has to use private road and thus chip in on its maintenance.
http://google.com http://translate.google.com http://urbandictionary.com
Visa is for visiting, Residence Permit for residing.

DMC

Post by DMC » Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:44 pm

rinso wrote:Only places that have no access to water are exempt.
Can you clarify that please?
Do you mean access to incoming mains (city) water supply?
Or do you mean access to any water supply, including a well?
Or do you mean access to water such as a lake that may get polluted by waste water/sewage without a tank being used?

rinso

Post by rinso » Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:09 am

Or do you mean access to any water supply, including a well?
This one

priki

Post by priki » Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:12 pm

When purchasing a property (land, estate), you also need to pay 4% varainsiirtovero, tax for asset transfer. After paying it, you also need to get it officially registered to you, to get a 'lainhuudatus' for it. That costs 119€. Estate purchases need also an official notary present and signing the papers, that costs something small like 50€.

Some instructions in English. http://www.maanmittauslaitos.fi/en/real ... p-property

Then about the septic tank thing, if you don't have running water, you are fine with a compost toilet. Running water - pipes, electric pump from the well etc. If you have manual pump and you carry your water in a bucket, you only need to make a written document stating how the waste waters are now handled in the property, with a map of the property attached. You can get blank forms for that from the municipality where the property is located in.