buying used laptop what to check?

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
sam_001

Post by sam_001 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:07 pm

I am looking for a laptop and a person is willing to sell it to me. Its quite in good condition but he does not seem to have the receipt. I have never bought a used laptop before. Can someone please guide me what to check to make sure I am not buying a stolen laptop

Regards
AZ

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

foca

Re: buying used laptop what to check?

Post by foca » Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:04 pm

Do you keep receipts for all the stuff you might want to sell in the future, say in 3 years?
What do you want from me?????

sam_001

Post by sam_001 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:12 pm

This one is only few weeks old but the user says that he left the receipts with his ex. That is why I want to know if there is anything I can do to protect myself from a later trouble? If I make an agreement that I buy the laptop from this person and he signs, will that be enough?

Beep_Boop

Post by Beep_Boop » Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:14 pm

My rule of thumb: Never buy a used laptop or phone for your regular use.
Every case is unique. You can't measure the result of your application based on arbitrary anecdotes online.

Post by 007 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:13 pm

sam_001 wrote:This one is only few weeks old but the user says that he left the receipts with his ex. That is why I want to know if there is anything I can do to protect myself from a later trouble? If I make an agreement that I buy the laptop from this person and he signs, will that be enough?
So, it must still have a valid warranty. I would be more interested in that than whether the laptop is a stolen one. I buy and have bought (sold too) all kinds of used items for personal use e.g. cycles, tv, phones, washing machine, speakers... it's simply not practical to ask for receipts for all the items. I am thinking of buying a PS 4 some time in near future but again I would be more interested in warranty than the assurance that it's not a stolen product.

However, let me add that it's a good judgment not to buy stuffs unless it can be proven that such stuffs aren't stolen ones.
“Go where you are celebrated – not tolerated."
"Aina, kun opit uuden sanan, opettele samalla sen monikko!"

sam_001

Post by sam_001 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:30 pm

It does seem to have warranty and it is also in an excellent condition. However, not sure if without a receipt, I can get any warranty. However, for something to be only a couple of weeks old and not having receipt got my attention.

P.S: The post is not so much about this laptop but a general question came to my mind that if people buy used stuff online or from someone in person, is there any process for verifying that he or she is not selling a stolen item. Also if the item is later on proven to be stolen, will the buyer be charged for it? What are the processes to be followed in order to not get into trouble later on

Post by 007 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:35 am

sam_001 wrote:if people buy used stuff online or from someone in person, is there any process for verifying that he or she is not selling a stolen item. Also if the item is later on proven to be stolen, will the buyer be charged for it? What are the processes to be followed in order to not get into trouble later on
http://fin.afterdawn.com/uutiset/artikk ... minen-laki
Jos ostat varastetun tavaran, siitä ei tule missään vaiheessa sinun omaisuuttasi.
Jos sinulla on syytä epäillä (tai sinun pitäisi epäillä) ostamaasi tuotetta varastetuksi, saatat syyllistyä rikokseen itsekin.
When you buy a stolen item, two things can happen. a) it's yours until police/real owner finds it. When they do, you will have to return it. b) if police has sufficient evidence that you know it's a stolen one, then you might face fine or jail time.

So, in order to avoid getting into trouble later, don't buy 2nd hand items with or without receipts. You never know if the receipt isn't also a stolen one. Of course, you can also match personal ID of the seller and the name on the receipt etc...
“Go where you are celebrated – not tolerated."
"Aina, kun opit uuden sanan, opettele samalla sen monikko!"

rinso

Post by rinso » Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:05 am

It does seem to have warranty and it is also in an excellent condition. However, not sure if without a receipt, I can get any warranty. However, for something to be only a couple of weeks old and not having receipt got my attention.
Only a few weeks old? then you must be able to find the new price for it. If the asking price and the new price differ to much it is smelly.

adam7

Post by adam7 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:59 pm

sam_001 wrote:This one is only few weeks old but the user says that he left the receipts with his ex. That is why I want to know if there is anything I can do to protect myself from a later trouble? If I make an agreement that I buy the laptop from this person and he signs, will that be enough?
As noted in the thread, if the laptop is stolen, you will have to surrender it to the legal owner w/o any compensation. you will off course have a claim against the seller, either civil or both civil & criminal, but that will necessarily not result in any real money.

As also noted, if you bought the laptop in suspicious circumstances, meaning that you should have known that it was stolen, you might have criminal liability for possession of stolen goods. a very cheap price, an unknown seller etc. are some indications police and a court would look at.

Having a signed agreement does not protect you against the real owner's claim, if the laptop is stolen. If the laptop is embezzled, you must give it up, but you have a right to compensation from the real owner. So if your seller A has taken the laptop from B without permission and sells it to you, you must give it back to B w/o compensation. However, if B has lent the laptop to A, who sells it to you, you have the right to receive the purchase price from the real owner, against handing over the laptop. So in the latter case, on the condition that you are bona fide about the laptop, the written agreement would show the amount of compensation. However, since you are inquiring abt your legal rights, this could also be construed as that you are no bona fides abt the laptop. You don't have to know that the seller didn't have the right to sell the laptop to be mala fide, it's enough that you have good reason to suspect foul play.

I would definitely want to have the seller to provide a receipt for a nearly new laptop.

If the laptop is only three weeks old, the seller can probably get a copy of the recept at his seller, if he's bougt it from a normal store. So "left it at ex's" sounds a bit fishy.

Beep_Boop

Post by Beep_Boop » Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:17 pm

You can ask the guy from where he bought it. Take the laptop to the place and ask them if they can verify it it's sold through them (Verkkokauppa at least does that), and they can even tell you when it was bought.
Every case is unique. You can't measure the result of your application based on arbitrary anecdotes online.

adam7

Post by adam7 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:08 am

Beep_Boop wrote:You can ask the guy from where he bought it. Take the laptop to the place and ask them if they can verify it it's sold through them (Verkkokauppa at least does that), and they can even tell you when it was bought.
Some ppl won't part with the laptop w/o cash. Then if it's not bought where claimed, the buyer is in a bind

DMC

Post by DMC » Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:12 am

rinso wrote:Only a few weeks old? then you must be able to find the new price for it. If the asking price and the new price differ to much it is smelly.
On the other hand, if the asking price and the new price don't differ too much, why not buy a new one and avoid any possible hassle?

rinso

Post by rinso » Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:46 am

DMC wrote:
rinso wrote:Only a few weeks old? then you must be able to find the new price for it. If the asking price and the new price differ to much it is smelly.
On the other hand, if the asking price and the new price don't differ too much, why not buy a new one and avoid any possible hassle?
Yes it is tricky. How much cheaper is still believed?