Canada to Finland

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
can678

Canada to Finland

Post by can678 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:25 pm

I am planning to move to Finland with my girlfriend in July or August.

She has been offered a 3 year post-doctoral fellowship at the University of Helsinki and will get her PR through their sponsorship. Afterwards we intend to return to Canada.

We do not currently live together, but were planning to move in together in the fall when she moved for her post-doc. Helsinki came as a bit of surprise (we expected a Canadian destination).

The challenge for us is getting residence status for me in Finland since we do not live together we cannot go the family status route. Any advice or answers to the questions below would be great.

I have a BA and MA from Canadian universities and I am completing a CELTA course so that I will be able to teach English while we are there (I am a native English speaker).

My understanding is that the full-time jobs are going to go to folks with formal educational qualifications (teachers certificates etc) that I do not have. What is the job market like for freelance or part-time work?

I can stay in the country for 90 days just using my Canadian passport. After that I will need PR status. How should I go about getting it? My current plan is to apply to live in Finland based on the fact that I want to be with my girlfriend and I can support myself (I have about 25,000 Euros in savings). Should I apply for the PR status now from Canada? Should I wait and apply from Finland? If I simply move to Finland in July, will I be able to stay there while my PR application is being processed even if it goes past the 90 days?

I am also eligible for Polish citizenship through one of my parents. I am applying to get it confirmed, but the process will take 8-10 months. Supposing I am successful, my understanding is that being a Polish citizen will entitle me to live and work in Finland - is this correct?

Any other thoughts or advice would be appreciated.

Canada to Finland

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

tavastia

Re: Canada to Finland

Post by tavastia » Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:18 am

With your Canadian passport, marry her, apply for some university or try to find a job by yourself.
If you get Polish citizenship you can move freely in EU but after 3 months you need to register your right of residence, as EU citizen which requires one of the reasons: job, family or studies.

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:43 am

can678 wrote: I can stay in the country for 90 days just using my Canadian passport. After that I will need PR status.
The Finnish PR concept is different from the Canadian. You can only get permanent residency after 4 years on a continuous permit.

http://www.migri.fi/residence_permits/permit_types
can678 wrote: My current plan is to apply to live in Finland based on the fact that I want to be with my girlfriend and I can support myself (I have about 25,000 Euros in savings).
Not a valid reason. Would need to go for the intent to marry permit.
can678 wrote: Should I apply for the PR status now from Canada? Should I wait and apply from Finland?
Only a limited set of categories can apply from Finland. Section 49.

http://www.finlex.fi/fi/laki/kaannokset ... 040301.pdf

Your application reasons would be the ones to apply from Canada.
can678 wrote: If I simply move to Finland in July, will I be able to stay there while my PR application is being processed even if it goes past the 90 days?
Yes until it has been legally decided (exhausted all appeals etc).
tavastia wrote:If you get Polish citizenship you can move freely in EU but after 3 months you need to register your right of residence, as EU citizen which requires one of the reasons: job, family or studies.
Registration for right of residence can also be done with just money in the bank account.

Rosamunda

Post by Rosamunda » Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:38 pm

can678 wrote:
I have a BA and MA from Canadian universities and I am completing a CELTA course so that I will be able to teach English while we are there (I am a native English speaker).
CELTA/DELTA are unknown in Finland and would not necessarily open up job opportunities. Freelance work is sometimes available (even without a CELTA) but language schools don't usually give contracts - which means working on a zero-hours basis (which is not enough to get residency). Whether or not you would get much work depends on the feedback from your students. Finding work independently is pretty difficult and would inevitably mean starting up as a sole trader (toiminimi).

Rosamunda

Post by Rosamunda » Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:38 pm

can678 wrote:
CELTA/DELTA are unknown in Finland and would not necessarily open up job opportunities. Freelance work is sometimes available (even without a CELTA) but language schools don't usually give contracts - which means working on a zero-hours basis (which is not enough to get residency). Whether or not you would get much work depends on the feedback from your students. Finding work independently is pretty difficult and would inevitably mean starting up as a sole trader (toiminimi).

AmericanJuho

Post by AmericanJuho » Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:07 pm

I applied in person last year for the following reason. The Migri web site states:

Applying for the permit in Finland
You can apply for the permit in Finland if you have come to Finland to take an entrance exam and your studies start soon after the exam. You may stay in the country legally during the processing of your application, though your visa may have expired.

See: http://www.migri.fi/studying_in_finland ... pplication

I do not think it states whether you can stay if you have applied externally and then travel to Finland after-the-fact.

NukkuMatti

Post by NukkuMatti » Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:06 pm

AmericanJuho wrote:I applied in person last year for the following reason. The Migri web site states:

Applying for the permit in Finland
You can apply for the permit in Finland if you have come to Finland to take an entrance exam and your studies start soon after the exam. You may stay in the country legally during the processing of your application, though your visa may have expired.

See: http://www.migri.fi/studying_in_finland ... pplication

I do not think it states whether you can stay if you have applied externally and then travel to Finland after-the-fact.
You will return to Canada afterwards you said, why bother all these costs effort and time, it might be cheaper just to leave the country after your tourist visa expires and get a new visa and come back again, and again and again :wink: In the meanwhile you might get married and then things are a lot easier.

tavastia

Post by tavastia » Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:21 pm

One issue is that you may stay max 90 days in 180 days period.