Cat poop in mailbox

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
bf421

Re: Cat poop in mailbox

Post by bf421 » Fri Jun 03, 2016 4:14 am

It isn't just Finland. It happens in America, too. I once had a neighbor who never picked up after his dog. One day a different neighbor got so fed up that he shoveled up the poop and left it on the dog owner's doorstep. After that, he always picked up after his dog.

So don't be too upset and try to do what you can to fix the problem and be on good terms with the neighbor. Cats are a bit difficult, though, because you can't tell them where to poop. If it's an outdoor cat, trying to keep it inside may lead to behavior problems. A tall fence or other type of containment might be only solution.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Pursuivant

Post by Pursuivant » Fri Jun 03, 2016 9:31 am

Tall fences don't hold cats. You should see how the cats were behind my kitchen door and in 5 minutes on the neighbour's roof (2stories) checking out the birds nests...
"By the pricking of my thumbs,
Something wicked this way comes."

Oombongo

Post by Oombongo » Fri Jun 03, 2016 11:47 am

buy a robot cat. They follow the instructions precisely, or better buy a roomba. This will at least do some good.
Image Image

wolf80

Post by wolf80 » Fri Jun 03, 2016 12:05 pm

LoulouGJ wrote:We have catproofed properties before and can do so again.
I hope you mean that you want to cat-proof your own property so the cats can't escape your garden. Your neighbors won't be happy if you expect that they change their way of life and have a higher fence, combined with a !"#¤% view. Additionally all the trouble of the construction that has to be done, even if you pay for it. It's your responsibility to keep your cats in, not your neighbors' responsibility to keep them out. And while cat-poop under a bush is at best a minor annoyance, cat-poop in a sandbox means a serious hygience problem and health risk. If you as a foreigner demand of your neighbors, no matter how nicely you want to do it, that they go out of their way to accommodate your pets and your lifestyle, then cat-poop in your mailbox might soon be the least of your problems!

TeppoKroatialainen

Post by TeppoKroatialainen » Sat Jun 04, 2016 2:37 am

LoulouGJ wrote: We have a huge forest at the back where we thought the cats would roam. Most of the time they do hang around our property or the forest. Unfortunately it seems they have elected for some reason to go over the road and check out the neighbor's place.
First of all you should not let your animal ''roam in the forest'', if its your animal keep it to yourself. As a matter of fact cats are invasive specie that means if they are let to roam freely they can cause damage to ecosystem. This is really irresponsible of any cat owners!

Second, why would you think they wouldn't go to the neighbors?!?! You think you can talk to your cats and explain them where they can go?

LoulouGJ

Post by LoulouGJ » Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:05 pm

wolf80 wrote:
LoulouGJ wrote:We have catproofed properties before and can do so again.
I hope you mean that you want to cat-proof your own property so the cats can't escape your garden. Your neighbors won't be happy if you expect that they change their way of life and have a higher fence, combined with a !"#¤% view. Additionally all the trouble of the construction that has to be done, even if you pay for it. It's your responsibility to keep your cats in, not your neighbors' responsibility to keep them out. And while cat-poop under a bush is at best a minor annoyance, cat-poop in a sandbox means a serious hygience problem and health risk. If you as a foreigner demand of your neighbors, no matter how nicely you want to do it, that they go out of their way to accommodate your pets and your lifestyle, then cat-poop in your mailbox might soon be the least of your problems!
Yes obviously I mean we will cat proof our own property. We have done it before elsewhere. It never even occurred to me to ask the other residents to do it. Ask the entire neighbourhood to put up fences just for my sake? That would be utterly ridiculous! I don't want anyone to accommodate me. I just want to understand their mindset, that was my original question.

LoulouGJ

Post by LoulouGJ » Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:09 pm

TeppoKroatialainen wrote:
LoulouGJ wrote: We have a huge forest at the back where we thought the cats would roam. Most of the time they do hang around our property or the forest. Unfortunately it seems they have elected for some reason to go over the road and check out the neighbor's place.
First of all you should not let your animal ''roam in the forest'', if its your animal keep it to yourself. As a matter of fact cats are invasive specie that means if they are let to roam freely they can cause damage to ecosystem. This is really irresponsible of any cat owners!

Second, why would you think they wouldn't go to the neighbors?!?! You think you can talk to your cats and explain them where they can go?
Like I said in the original post, this is not a discussion about whether cats should or should not be allowed outdoors. I am well aware of the various studies on their impact on the environment and I have already said I am prepared to cat proof our property. What I am trying to understand here is why someone would behave in such a childish manner. That is the entire point of my post. I'll ignore the second bit of your post given how unhelpful it was.

Honest

Post by Honest » Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:47 pm

shrimp67

Post by shrimp67 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:14 am

Very Simple,
If they came to you with the problem, sure, there's a small chance you are a nice and considerate human being and do something about it.
However, since nice and considerate human beings are greatly outnumbered in this world, it is more likely on their part to assume you would do nothing.
Then when the time for action comes, you will know it was them who did it.
So why bother?

In my old neighborhood was a dog whose owners let run around. It really annoyed one of the other neighbors.
One day the dog disappeared.
Everyone was sure the angry neighbor did it but were unable to prove anything.

Bees

Post by Bees » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:06 am

It's actually illegal in Finland to let your cats roam free, and you can be charged with animal neglect if you let them out of your yard unsupervised (because they could be hit by cars or mauled by animals, etc.) I'm not sure how often that's enforced, but cat poop in the mailbox is better than animal neglect charges, if you ask me.
Image Image

lily_of_the_valley

Post by lily_of_the_valley » Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:49 am

Bees wrote:It's actually illegal in Finland to let your cats roam free, and you can be charged with animal neglect if you let them out of your yard unsupervised (because they could be hit by cars or mauled by animals, etc.) I'm not sure how often that's enforced, but cat poop in the mailbox is better than animal neglect charges, if you ask me.
Yes, you're right that they should be supervised (I misunderstood) :) But it sounds like it's not really enforced and most people probably don't even realise it's a law!
Last edited by lily_of_the_valley on Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Upphew

Post by Upphew » Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:52 am

lily_of_the_valley wrote:
Bees wrote:It's actually illegal in Finland to let your cats roam free, and you can be charged with animal neglect if you let them out of your yard unsupervised (because they could be hit by cars or mauled by animals, etc.) I'm not sure how often that's enforced, but cat poop in the mailbox is better than animal neglect charges, if you ask me.
I did some Googling about this. Apparently it is legal to let your cat roam free, with the exception of a few public places such as sports fields, swimming beaches and children's playgrounds. Not sure how an owner can control that, though!

My Finnish isn't fluent so I may have misunderstood, but I also read that it's illegal to kill a cat on private land unless it's a wild cat (there's a particular definition).

I'm a supporter of indoor cats for a range of reasons, but thought it odd that it could be illegal to not keep them inside.
It is ok to let your cat roam without leash, but not free and unsupervised. You have to be able to control that your cat doesn't use the neighbours sandbox as litter box. Owner can control the cat by using a leash and harness...
http://google.com http://translate.google.com http://urbandictionary.com
Visa is for visiting, Residence Permit for residing.

lily_of_the_valley

Post by lily_of_the_valley » Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:10 pm

Upphew wrote:Owner can control the cat by using a leash and harness...
Obviously I meant that the owner can't control them properly if they are leaving them to roam free.