Internet conection in Finland

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
Luteran

Post by Luteran » Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:19 pm

Sorry, my english is horrible. IIts really true that every family in Finland has free state internet conection with minimum downlink 1Mbps ?

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

harryc

Re: Internet conection in Finland

Post by harryc » Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:27 pm

No - not true - but some sensible political noise is being made that something like that wouldn't be a bad idea.

People born with golden spoons in their mouth - and incomes of 100k - are assuming everyone has 700 euro iPhones and plenty of disposable income to get optical connections, etc. They've managed to load the govt and corps with twerps that tell everyone they have to do whatever they want or ask whatever on the internet. It's inequality to the nth power.

Luteran

Post by Luteran » Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:00 pm

Thanks for your answer and opinion. I must study english better, because my understanding was wrong from this article http://www.bbc.com/news/10461048

Jukka Aho

Post by Jukka Aho » Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:56 am

Luteran wrote:Thanks for your answer and opinion. I must study english better, because my understanding was wrong from this article http://www.bbc.com/news/10461048
News stories (especially foreign media reporting on something happening in another country) often cut corners and simplify matters, sometimes beyond recognition.

The current situation is as follows:

https://www.viestintavirasto.fi/en/stee ... rvice.html

“[C]onsumers and businesses are entitled to obtain a functioning telephone subscription and a broadband subscription of 2 Mbps to their permanent place of residence or to place of business. [...] The services that fall under the scope of universal service must be available at a reasonable price and within a reasonable delivery time everywhere in Finland.”

“If the availability of a telephone service or an internet access service pertaining to universal service is insufficient in some areas on commercial basis, FICORA designates a telecommunications operator for service provision in the area. The telecommunications operator designated as a universal service provider is obligated to provide service to the permanent places of residence and business establishments in the area.”

This does not mean the government would provide a free connection for you. They just guarantee that a connection with at least 2 Mbps downlink should be available to you to your permanent place of residence or place of business — or if it is not, there’s a designated telecommunications company which is obliged to provide it to you at a price that does not exceed some reasonable limit (maybe somewhere in the range of 30...40 € per month at maximum, I’m not sure where they currently set it.)

The telecommunications company might fulfill their obligation e.g. by making sure that the location is covered by their nearest 4G base station, and that it is possible to establish a good enough connection to maintain the 2 Mbps downlink speed, on average. There’s no specific obligation to provide the broadband connection via fiber or any other wired technology.
znark

Luteran

Post by Luteran » Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:40 am

Dear Jukka Aho, thanks, your answer was very helpfull to me. It seems your Viestinvaristo is really office which protects common people in Finland. And what about really price for connection internet ? And what about the terms and conditions ? Dear Jukka Aho what about speeding of your internet ? Are you satisfied ?

Jukka Aho

Post by Jukka Aho » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:52 pm

Luteran wrote:And what about really price for connection internet ?
It varies quite a lot by location, technology and provider. And by speed class as well, of course.

Realistically, I’d say you pay 5...40 €/month for a 10...100 Mbit/s downlink. What spot you hit within those two brackets is determined largely by where you live, what is the competition like, and what technology is available.

Typical technologies are ADSL, fiber-to-the-premises, DOCSIS cable modem, or 3G/4G mobile data.

Some housing companies negotiate a deal with a local ISP and actually provide a basic Internet connection to all the apartments as part of rent or maintenance fee. Sometimes this is forced upon all the dwellers — you’ll pay for that basic connection whether you need it or not. Sometimes it is an opt-in kind of a deal. If you happen to live in such an apartment, you can often make a separate contract with the same ISP for getting moved into a higher-tier speed class.

(Those Ficora rules are not relevant to you unless you live in some remote, rural place where there are no paved streets or street lights and where you have difficulty getting a good connection, or getting offered a connection in the first place. If you live in a town or a city, you can basically forget about them.)
Luteran wrote:And what about the terms and conditions ?
That’s between you and your ISP.

The Finnish plans are not usually data-capped (except some mobile plans are.)

(Mobile data plans are typically fairly competitive if you only look at the promised numbers, such as the monthly fees and the nominal speed, but the reliability, latency characteristics, etc. are not the same as with a proper wired connection.)
Luteran wrote:Dear Jukka Aho what about speeding of your internet ? Are you satisfied ?
It’s OK I guess:
http://www.speedtest.net/result/6209917882

I pay 5 euros per month. The plan is negotiated by my housing company. I’m not a direct customer of any ISP — the housing company is. The current connection technology is fiber-to-the-basement and twisted-pair Ethernet runs from there to the apartments.

Before moving to this apartment, I lived in this other place where the housing company had a deal with another ISP — again, on behalf of the dwellers — but I had to pay 9.80 €/month for a 5 Mbps downlink and for a 2 Mbps uplink. The connection was provided via the cable TV coaxial by the use of a DOCSIS cable modem.
znark

harryc

Post by harryc » Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:33 am

Some housing companies negotiate a deal with a local ISP and actually provide a basic Internet connection to all the apartments as part of rent or maintenance fee. Sometimes this is forced upon all the dwellers — you’ll pay for that basic connection whether you need it or not. Sometimes it is an opt-in kind of a deal. If you happen to live in such an apartment, you can often make a separate contract with the same ISP for getting moved into a higher-tier speed class.
The deal we struck with Sonera was that NO COST for basic service - but Sonera would charge for service beyond 20 mps - and other more elaborate packages. The row houses copper-wired - no advantage for faster services - but many bought Disney Discovery etc.

Upphew

Post by Upphew » Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:39 am

harryc wrote:
The deal we struck with Sonera was that NO COST for basic service - but Sonera would charge for service beyond 20 mps - and other more elaborate packages. The row houses copper-wired - no advantage for faster services - but many bought Disney Discovery etc.
I live in a apartment built in 50s. Dunno if or when the wiring has been redone, but I still use the phone jack for vdsl modem. That gets me solid 100/10 connection. So copper is just fine for the last bit.
http://google.com http://translate.google.com http://urbandictionary.com
Visa is for visiting, Residence Permit for residing.

harryc

Post by harryc » Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:20 pm

I would suspect wiring re-done - we have had gurus from Sonera Elisa and DNA tell that all our row houses in system cannot get more than 20 mps as all with original phone line cables

Thus - I understand that many times now - 'putki remonti' projects are also offering new cable systems.

I'm not really caring as 20 mps is quite enough for me - and not looking for any place to dump €€€.

(I should have said ORIGINAL copper-wiring)

Upphew

Post by Upphew » Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:45 pm

harryc wrote:I would suspect wiring re-done
Possible, but done before -95.
http://google.com http://translate.google.com http://urbandictionary.com
Visa is for visiting, Residence Permit for residing.

Matheis

Post by Matheis » Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:25 pm

In the flat I live in it's included in the rent

harryc

Post by harryc » Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:02 pm

Hope you made the same deal we did - negotiated for FREE BASIC - and they make their money on extra services