Gross to nett salary

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
harryc

Re: Gross to nett salary

Post by harryc » Wed Apr 12, 2017 5:21 pm

Google does it in terms of its algorithms - the whole world of rankings re listings is tremendously complicated and subject to all kinds of manipulations - innocent, intended and not.

I would suggest you have a look at the publication 'Google Analytics' to get a peek into this world and underground. Available at a library if not burned down yet :(

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Upphew

Post by Upphew » Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:41 am

harryc wrote:Google does it in terms of its algorithms - the whole world of rankings re listings is tremendously complicated and subject to all kinds of manipulations - innocent, intended and not.

I would suggest you have a look at the publication 'Google Analytics' to get a peek into this world and underground. Available at a library if not burned down yet :(
Sure the listings are done to favor paying customers, but who on their right mind thinks finlandforum.org is better source for information than vero.fi or migri.fi... google is just a tool, you certainly can hammer your toe with it, unless you take some care.

I wouldn't fear burning libraries but mold in the old buildings. At least in libraries that I know.
http://google.com http://translate.google.com http://urbandictionary.com
Visa is for visiting, Residence Permit for residing.

harryc

Post by harryc » Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:57 pm

My point was - in general - not to put too much faith in Google - use it as ONE OF MANY sources - and use your OWN HEAD to sort things out.

ursulake

Post by ursulake » Sat May 13, 2017 4:17 pm

Hello.

I've read your topic. If is not a secret, for which job you received this offer? Please if you can not write here on forum, send me an PM.

Regarding taxation, I know that as a foreigner you are taxed different. 35% taxes + 6.1% pension contribution + 1.60% unemployment insurance, so a total of 42.75%. After 6 months, taxation is going to change depending on the area that you are in and how big is you salary (that 35% I mean) .
But anyway 4000 euro gross you would have received around 2300 Euro NET... For me is a small salary for a Nordic country.

All the best !

priki

Post by priki » Sun May 28, 2017 12:50 am

Imho, 4000 gross is a high salary, it is well above the average. I got that for a short while - in IT fiel, with 16 years work experience. I think I will never get that much again in my life.

ursulake

Post by ursulake » Sun May 28, 2017 7:32 am

And from 4000 gross how much you remained with NET ?
Well above average in IT field with 16 years of work experience ? I'm sorry if I have my doubts regarding your skills in IT....

Beep_Boop

Post by Beep_Boop » Sun May 28, 2017 11:30 am

ursulake wrote:I'm sorry if I have my doubts regarding your skills in IT....
You don't need to doubt anybody's skills. Some companies just have a !"#¤% pay. If you're a foreigner who is not-so-white, having a "suspicious" name, and you live somewhere other than Helsinki, then your prospects of getting a well paying job aren't so great. Sure, there are the occasional lucky strikes (like in my case), but most of the time you'll just be happy to get anything.

After many years in such situation, you become in a bubble completely isolated from any notion of what is the fair market salary.

To priki, 4000 is really on lower side in IT, especially in Helsinki. I understand your situation, though. When I was earning 2000 and 3000, I thought this is normal, until I honed my CV and starting interviewing and getting offers in the 6-8k range. It took me a long time to realise that
Every case is unique. You can't measure the result of your application based on arbitrary anecdotes online.

harryc

Post by harryc » Sun May 28, 2017 12:48 pm

I just want to EMPHASIZE that Google should be ONLY ONE tool and not the only one! Interesting how 2 words can mean entirely two different things :D )

priki

Post by priki » Sun May 28, 2017 2:45 pm

Net was about 2600€. The average salary in Finland used to be about 3600€, so my salary was really above the average. With 'average salary' I mean the average salary in Finland in general, not in any particular field.
I know that Helsinki salaries are much higher than in the rest of the country. I did not work in Helsinki, and if I recall right, the originator had got the offer in Rauma, which is quite far away from Helsinki, and has also lower salaries - and lower cost of living.
I was really happy with that salary, and I know that it was higher than several of my colleagues with long careers, too. If your only knowledge is about Helsinki salaries, you need to widen your perspective before giving advises to people outside the capital area.

ursulake

Post by ursulake » Sun May 28, 2017 3:10 pm

I have a friend which as a foreigner earned some years ago 5K NET, but not in IT. Anyway this is not the subject, IT or not, was about Gross to NET salary, and I am curious if my information is correct regarding taxes for new comers, and also I hope that the owner of the topic will respond to my question regarding which job offer in RAUMA he got ? What domain, etc. Is it at OL3 ?

harryc

Post by harryc » Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:26 pm

For Google "fans:"

BE CAREFUL CELEBRATING GOOGLE’S NEW AD BLOCKER. HERE’S WHAT’S REALLY GOING ON.
David Dayen
June 5 2017, 10:28 p.m.
Photo: Lluis Gene/AFP/Getty Images
GOOGLE, A DATA MINING and extraction company that sells personal information to advertisers, has hit upon a neat idea to consolidate its already-dominant business: block competitors from appearing on its platforms.

The company announced that it would establish an ad blocker for the Chrome web browser, which has become the most popular in America, employed by nearly half of the nation’s web users. The ad blocker — which Google is calling a “filter” — would roll out next year, and would be the default setting for Chrome when fully functional. In other words, the normal user sparking up their Chrome browser simply wouldn’t see the ads blocked by the system.

What ads would get blocked? The ones not sold by Google, for the most part.

The Chrome ad blocker would stop ads that provide a “frustrating experience,” according to Google’s blog post announcing the change. The ads blocked would match the standards produced by the Coalition for Better Ads, an ostensibly third-party group. For sure, the ads that would get blocked are intrusive: auto-players with sound, countdown ads that make you wait 10 seconds to get to the site, large “sticky” ads that remain constant even when you scroll down the page.

But who’s part of the Coalition for Better Ads? Google, for one, as well as Facebook. Those two companies accounted for 99 percent of all digital ad revenue growth in the United States last year, and 77 percent of gross ad spending. As Mark Patterson of Fordham University explained, the Coalition for Better Ads is “a cartel orchestrated by Google.”

So this is a way for Google to crush its few remaining competitors by pre-installing an ad zapper that it controls to the most common web browser. That’s a great way for a monopoly to remain a monopoly.

There’s more to the story, however. The real goal for Google appears to be not just blocking ads sold by other digital suppliers besides Google, but to undermine third-party ad blockers, which stop Google ads along with everyone else’s.

According to the Financial Times, Google will allow publishers what it’s calling “Funding Choices.” The publisher could charge the consumer a set price per page view to use third-party sites that block all advertising. Google would do the tracking of how many pages users view, and then charge them. Users could then “white list” particular sites, allowing ads to be shown on them and removing the charge. If users decided to pay to block ads, Google would receive a portion of that payment, sharing it with the publisher.

Web users will quickly recognize their only options: pay to use the internet, or uninstall the ad blockers and surf the web for free. At least 11 percent of all web users, and perhaps as many as 26 percent of all desktop users, have third-party ad blockers on their devices, a number that will likely grow in the next few years. But it’s easy to see how Google’s policy would depress ad blocker usage — except for the case of Google’s ad blocker, which creates preferences for Google’s own ads.

Google has already been found to have paid off ad blockers to keep its own ads intact. But this new policy creates an internet landscape where Google ensures viewing of its own ads, to the relative disadvantage of competitors.

Senior Vice President of Google Sridhar Ramaswamy describes the concept as a way to support internet websites and users alike, by making online ads less annoying and helping to “maintain a sustainable web for everyone.” It’s hard to build a coalition in favor of annoying ads. And publishers would be guaranteed a revenue stream, either through charging consumers for an ad-free experience, or from the ads themselves. So the policy aligns the interests of virtually everyone on the web content side.

Improving Google’s bottom line and crushing anyone who tries to compete is just a nice side benefit.

With the Federal Trade Commission still at just two members for the foreseeable future, and the acting chairman favoring a laissez-faire approach to internet oligopolies, it’s unlikely any action will be taken in the near term to stop Google from operating as what former FTC official Jonathan Kanter calls “prosecutor, judge, and jury for ad quality.”

Other experts believe that the Department of Justice might take the lead in antitrust enforcement against Google, especially in light of such a forcing event. That’s especially true if the department’s antitrust division sees the Coalition for Better Ads as a cartel, which the FTC does not typically enforce.

In a New York Times op-ed in April, author Jonathan Taplin laid out the path forward for regulators: It’s time to break up the Alphabet.

popeyeps

Post by popeyeps » Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:18 pm

Beep_Boop wrote:
ursulake wrote:I'm sorry if I have my doubts regarding your skills in IT....
You don't need to doubt anybody's skills. Some companies just have a !"#¤% pay. If you're a foreigner who is not-so-white, having a "suspicious" name, and you live somewhere other than Helsinki, then your prospects of getting a well paying job aren't so great. Sure, there are the occasional lucky strikes (like in my case), but most of the time you'll just be happy to get anything.

After many years in such situation, you become in a bubble completely isolated from any notion of what is the fair market salary.

To priki, 4000 is really on lower side in IT, especially in Helsinki. I understand your situation, though. When I was earning 2000 and 3000, I thought this is normal, until I honed my CV and starting interviewing and getting offers in the 6-8k range. It took me a long time to realise that

6-8k range in Finland? That's a massive amount for large sum of people I believe. I understand 4-5k is pretty decent in IT field with significant amount of experience (say 6 years or more), technology and skills. But 6-8 k is definitely a different thing. What kind of role is that and how much years of experience and technology, if you can share it?

Beep_Boop

Post by Beep_Boop » Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:40 pm

Cory wrote:I've lived and worked full time in Finland for 22 yrs. I'm taxed exactly the same as my Finnish colleagues. I do not carry Finnish citizenship.
How are foreigners taxed differently?
He's probably talking about "the Nokia deal". It used to be that you can get 35% flat rate in some cases http://www.vero.fi/en-US/Individuals/Ar ... in_Finland
I'm not sure if this is still the case.
Every case is unique. You can't measure the result of your application based on arbitrary anecdotes online.

ursulake

Post by ursulake » Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:57 pm

Maybe 22 years ago rules were different, and if you've been living in Finland for more then 22 years... you passed those 6 months.
This is the information that I've received from a finish company, this is what I am telling. If you are sure and you know other version, please share with the rest . But please share information relevant for new comers, not for old.

Beep_Boop

Post by Beep_Boop » Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:24 pm

popeyeps wrote:6-8k range in Finland? That's a massive amount for large sum of people I believe. I understand 4-5k is pretty decent in IT field with significant amount of experience (say 6 years or more), technology and skills. But 6-8 k is definitely a different thing. What kind of role is that and how much years of experience and technology, if you can share it?
Not really that massive. I'm currently slightly higher than 8k on a regular employment. Once you do something in niche field these days you can earn the top dollar (or euro :D ). Something like SAP consulting, COBOL programming, risk assessment, privacy compliance, etc.