Update on my Finnish Citizenship...

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
niceguy40

Post by niceguy40 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:21 am

Okay, I think it's time for an update.....

I had been asking the group over and over again about Citizenship and what the possibilities are. Well, it did take a bit of work. I had to hire a lawyer. but I got my citizenship. No not residency. Citizenship. How? Because I'm 100% Finn. That's how.

So I'm very interested in seeing how it is out there. I know things might not be the same as here. Some things will be better, some worse. But that's not what it's about. For me it's just about having a change in life. Which is what I need.

I just hope I can adjust. My biggest problem is I don't speak Finn. But I heard most speak english so I should be okay until I can learn finnish.

But ya there was a lot of nahh sayers on here. And I didn't appreciate that. I was hoping for some help but I guess that can't be avoided.

But ya so for anyone else reading this, if you happen to be born Finnish or even half Finnish, you're fine! You'll be able to get your citizenship no problem I can direct you to the lawyer in Finland that I used if you pm me if you need it. As not all the applications and information is outright given on the various websites out there. Some situations you have to get a lawyer to do it. ie: I'm over 22 and born in a different country. So therefore you can't fin anything on the Finnish immigration sites that cover that angle. I mean logically that makes sense too if you really think it through. But they'll still accept you, you just have to get a lawyer. It costs a few hundred and they'll do it up for you.

Anyway so that's that.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

betelgeuse

Re: Update on my Finnish Citizenship...

Post by betelgeuse » Sat Apr 22, 2017 3:42 pm

niceguy40 wrote: But ya so for anyone else reading this, if you happen to be born Finnish or even half Finnish, you're fine! You'll be able to get your citizenship no problem I can direct you to the lawyer in Finland that I used if you pm me if you need it. As not all the applications and information is outright given on the various websites out there. Some situations you have to get a lawyer to do it. ie: I'm over 22 and born in a different country. So therefore you can't fin anything on the Finnish immigration sites that cover that angle. I mean logically that makes sense too if you really think it through. But they'll still accept you, you just have to get a lawyer. It costs a few hundred and they'll do it up for you.
Or instead of paying a lawyer, just follow these instructions:

http://www.migri.fi/finnish_citizenship ... sh_citizen

(You can't be half Finnish for citizenship, it's a binary status).

Beep_Boop

Post by Beep_Boop » Sat Apr 22, 2017 3:57 pm

betelgeuse wrote:Or instead of paying a lawyer, just follow these instructions
I'm not sure if you remember, but this is the guy who came here a couple of year ago asking if he can get citizenship since his parents were at some point citizens. viewtopic.php?t=89356 He posted several threads providing conflicting information about his history. Obviously, several people told him that according to the information he provided he can't get citizenship.

That kind of people who are unable to explain their situation do need a lawyer who will do the thorough question asking and go help them look up records and verify information with authorities. Actually, the only good thing he did was getting a lawyer. He had no hope figuring out the laws or even Migri pages on his own.

I'm just glad it was a win-win for everybody. The lawyer made some money, and the dude got his citizenship. Happy ending
Every case is unique. You can't measure the result of your application based on arbitrary anecdotes online.

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:12 pm

Beep_Boop wrote: I'm not sure if you remember, but this is the guy who came here a couple of year ago asking if he can get citizenship since his parents were at some point citizens. viewtopic.php?t=89356 He posted several threads providing conflicting information about his history. Obviously, several people told him that according to the information he provided he can't get citizenship.
I did not use any historical context when writing my answer.
Beep_Boop wrote: That kind of people who are unable to explain their situation do need a lawyer who will do the thorough question asking and go help them look up records and verify information with authorities. Actually, the only good thing he did was getting a lawyer. He had no hope figuring out the laws or even Migri pages on his own.
True. My answer would have been better if it would have said to first try the instructions and resort to a lawyer as a fallback. Normally a lawyer is not needed to deal with these matters.

niceguy40

Post by niceguy40 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:53 am

To clarify....I personally never could find anything on the immigration site addressing people who are over 22 but fully finn. But like I said before, logically that makes a lot of sense.

PJG

Post by PJG » Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:16 pm

It's Finnish, not Finn.

AldenG

Post by AldenG » Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:26 pm

PJG wrote:It's Finnish, not Finn.
But Finn is typical for descendants of early-1900's immigrants to North America, at least if they've remained in the areas where Finns were concentrated. Many think it sounds better, maybe tougher in a way.

ON EDIT: I was talking about the language, and now I see you were responding to a comment about ethnicity or nationality. But it wouldn't surprise me if the same usage applies to that in Finnish enclaves. It's almost like you can be/speak Finn-"ish" or you can be/speak actual Finn.

Of course the alternative explanation remains ignorance.
As he persisted, I was obliged to tootle him gently at first and then, seeing no improvement, to trumpet him vigorously with my horn.

PJG

Post by PJG » Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:15 am

AldenG wrote:
But Finn is typical for descendants of early-1900's immigrants to North America, at least if they've remained in the areas where Finns were concentrated. Many think it sounds better, maybe tougher in a way.

ON EDIT: I was talking about the language, and now I see you were responding to a comment about ethnicity or nationality. But it wouldn't surprise me if the same usage applies to that in Finnish enclaves. It's almost like you can be/speak Finn-"ish" or you can be/speak actual Finn.

Niceguy40 is a Finn (noun) or is Finnish (adjective). He is not Finn. Unless that's his name.

If he spoke the language he would speak Finnish. He would not speak Finn. Finn is not a language.

An American would not describe themselves by saying "I am America". Nor would they say "I speak England". They would say "I am American and I speak English".

AldenG

Post by AldenG » Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:50 am

PJG wrote:
AldenG wrote:

Niceguy40 is a Finn (noun) or is Finnish (adjective). He is not Finn. Unless that's his name.

If he spoke the language he would speak Finnish. He would not speak Finn. Finn is not a language.

An American would not describe themselves by saying "I am America". Nor would they say "I speak England". They would say "I am American and I speak English".
You're trying to talk about what is correct.

I'm trying to teach you something about what many Finnish descendants actually do in the areas in question. Yes, they do say "speak Finn" -- more often, in fact, that they say "speak Finnish," no matter how badly that may upend your worldview. Those with higher education tend to move away. Those who stay have some predictable characteristics. This is one of them. Niceguy40 will not be the first North American repatriating to Finland who talks about "speaking Finn." I've met several in Finland. He's Canadian, BTW, in case you don't remember from his posting history.

There's more that is interesting about the older North American Finnish-immigrant communities, but let's stick to baby steps for now.

Of course if you're really passionate about this question, you could try moving there as an itinerant missionary spreading enlightenment. But they've been separate for around 100 years now, plus or minus. Your work would be cut out for you.
As he persisted, I was obliged to tootle him gently at first and then, seeing no improvement, to trumpet him vigorously with my horn.

podzap

Post by podzap » Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:50 pm

PJG wrote:Niceguy40 is a Finn (noun) or is Finnish (adjective). He is not Finn. Unless that's his name.

Pilkunnussinta, kuten sanotaan suomeksi. If you say to a finn "en puhu suomi" or "en puhu suomea" they will not look at you funnily. Completely other story if you say "en puhu soomi" - that's enough to get you blacklisted and possibly beaten up if you're not white.