Popcorn Time

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
AliaAmr86

Popcorn Time

Post by AliaAmr86 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:17 pm

Hi,
I want to ask if watching movies using Popcorn time application is illegal?
I'm living at a student campus in Tampere, I've been using it without knowing.
If it's illegal, how can I know my fine?

Popcorn Time

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Piet

Re: Popcorn Time

Post by Piet » Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:11 pm

Yes it is illegal, when using popcorntime, while you watch a movie or whatever entertainment that is copyrighted, you at the same time upload this content without permission.

There is a lawyer company in Helsinki sending settlement letters to uploaders for a settlement, these can vary from 600 euros per movie to 5000 euro's

If you ever get a settlement letter, do never admit you did what they say, best is to answer in a letter (NO phone call) that it was not you, and you did not give permission to anyone else to use your connection either, to download or upload any of the said copyrighted material you hope you have informed them enough, best regards etc.

You are traceable by your IP address, these IP addresses are harvested by a German company (maybe others too). this gathered evidence is pretty weak, but some people have been sentenced for this, the sentence is not so high but you will have to pay for the prosecuting party legal fees as well, this is several thousand euros.

You have to decide for yourself if you want to take that risk.

To prevent anyone seeing what you do on the internet (watching you email, browsing websites, sharing legal files, and everything else you can think of doing online) you should start to use a VPN service. This VPN service makes it much much harder to see what you do online and therefore enhancing your privacy / anonymity online.

some VPN services: search for it on for example the website Torrentfreak.com (a torrent related news and privacy discussing website) there are many different ones with different qualities and levels of protection (you would want a "no logging" policy VPN provider).

Disclaimer: please understand that I do not encourage or condone illegal activities on the internet, I do however support and encourage privacy online and all tools that can help with accomplishing that.
If god would give us the source code, we could change the world

Beep_Boop

Post by Beep_Boop » Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:02 pm

This has been thoroughly discussed earlier. Search through the forums.
Every case is unique. You can't measure the result of your application based on arbitrary anecdotes online.

Oombongo

Post by Oombongo » Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:10 pm

yes, popcorn is a bitTorrent client, and this means that your IP address ends up in torrent swarm.
From wikipedia page:
As with other BitTorrent clients, the IP addresses of users of the original app or its forks can easily be determined by third parties. In early 2015 many German Popcorn Time users received demands for damages of €815. The high amount was justified by the fact that the application not only downloads but also distributes movies, a fact that not all users were aware of.
The companies who are sending letters are Hedman Partners, Adultia Oy, Filmia Oy and Njord Oy representing their clients. They hired the services of Tecxipio/Excipio from Germany who check for Finnish IP address in those swarms.
Here is a 1136 page long discussion and what to do under these circumstances. The discussion is in Finnish language.
The money they ask for is starting form 600€. Usually a very tiny amount goes to their client, the rest goes to these firms. Yes, a lucrative business which pays for just licking and pasting postage stamps :mrgreen:
And use the search function Luke. This has been discussed a few times.

Seriously, end users should learn to read about the software(s) they are using.
Image Image

harryc

Post by harryc » Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:41 pm

++++++++

The search facility on this forum is SUPER-LOUSY! One might have gotten a useful answer on a search - but anyone who has done previous search knows it's a 'hit and miss' exercise - with emphasis on the MISS - sso it just doesn't pay to bother.

And a topic like this covers an issue with 'moving wheels' where there are new laws, interpretations, technologies on an almost daily basis.

And various posters will have various experiences.

Why bother having a forum tto have people just be told not to post? (When ACTUALLY they should!)

Piet

Post by Piet » Sun Apr 30, 2017 2:04 pm

Oombongo wrote: And use the search function Luke. This has been discussed a few times.

Seriously, end users should learn to read about the software(s) they are using.
That is why I did not make a longer post 8)
harryc wrote:

++++++++

The search facility on this forum is SUPER-LOUSY! One might have gotten a useful answer on a search - but anyone who has done previous search knows it's a 'hit and miss' exercise - with emphasis on the MISS - sso it just doesn't pay to bother.

And a topic like this covers an issue with 'moving wheels' where there are new laws, interpretations, technologies on an almost daily basis.

And various posters will have various experiences.

Why bother having a forum tto have people just be told not to post? (When ACTUALLY they should!)
And that is why I posted anyway :lol: :lol:
If god would give us the source code, we could change the world

Jukka Aho

Post by Jukka Aho » Sun Apr 30, 2017 2:30 pm

phpBB comes with a better search function than the Google one (which is an “aftermarket extra”, maybe originally intended to make searches less taxing on system resources at the time when this board was regularly getting lots of daily visitors)... and it’s still there; you just have to know where to look for it. ;)
znark

harryc

Post by harryc » Sun Apr 30, 2017 3:18 pm

And that is why I posted anyway :lol: :lol:

Good. Welcome!