Moving to the UK

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
Post Reply
Marsh04
Posts: 317
Joined: Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:04 pm

Moving to the UK

Post by Marsh04 » Tue May 02, 2017 11:39 am

Can any EU citizen still just move to the UK for work etc as beofre? Has anything changed?

I know any relocation might have some risks like future residence issues after the brexit is comploete, but what about the situation right now?

Moving to the UK

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic
 

User avatar
Karhunkoski
Posts: 7026
Joined: Mon Sep 25, 2006 1:44 pm
Location: Keski-Suomi

Re: Moving to the UK

Post by Karhunkoski » Tue May 02, 2017 11:59 am

Marsh04 wrote:Can any EU citizen still just move to the UK for work etc as beofre? Has anything changed?
Nothing has changed. Britain is still a member of the EU. Freedom of movement rules are still in force.

Marsh04 wrote:I know any relocation might have some risks like future residence issues after the brexit is comploete
For any EU national living and working in the UK, or any UK national working in Finland, I don't see any major risk at all. Why would either country want to go through the expensive process of kicking out lots of taxpayers, which would cause all sorts of turmoil in the economy.

The mainstream media (pro-EU) have managd to brainwash some people in to thinking everyone will be sent home the day after Britain leaves. They won't. Most likely they'll be given a residence permit and allowed to continue.

Anyone would think that nobody ever lived and worked in another country before the golden EU arrived. :lol:

There must be others on this forum who also have relatives who were living and working all over Europe in the decades before the EU was born.
Political correctness is the belief that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.


Marsh04
Posts: 317
Joined: Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:04 pm

Re: Moving to the UK

Post by Marsh04 » Tue May 02, 2017 12:08 pm

Nobody is gonna kick out anybody but there can a difference in the rights of migrants who have come and settled after a certain date. Those people might not have the same rights for social benefits and residence as other migrants. e.g if you lose your job you might have to find the next one within a certain time period else you have to go back to your home country.


User avatar
Karhunkoski
Posts: 7026
Joined: Mon Sep 25, 2006 1:44 pm
Location: Keski-Suomi

Re: Moving to the UK

Post by Karhunkoski » Tue May 02, 2017 4:14 pm

Marsh04 wrote: e.g if you lose your job you might have to find the next one within a certain time period else you have to go back to your home country.
I think you're correct, this policy is a definite possibility.

Is it a bad policy? Well if someone has paid taxes in a country, then they have had use of the state benefits: roads, healthcare, police security, kids in schools, etc. But if they become unemployed and stay that way for some years, maybe it's only fair that other taxpayers don't have to support them indefinitely?
Political correctness is the belief that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.


Marsh04
Posts: 317
Joined: Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:04 pm

Re: Moving to the UK

Post by Marsh04 » Tue May 02, 2017 5:58 pm

It's not about bad or good.The point is that the laws will change and a person who migrates to the UK now might be treatedly differently in future than a person in exactly the same situation but who moved there some years ago


User avatar
Karhunkoski
Posts: 7026
Joined: Mon Sep 25, 2006 1:44 pm
Location: Keski-Suomi

Re: Moving to the UK

Post by Karhunkoski » Tue May 02, 2017 9:06 pm

Marsh04 wrote:It's not about bad or good.The point is that the laws will change and a person who migrates to the UK now might be treatedly differently in future than a person in exactly the same situation but who moved there some years ago
Yes it's a possibility. As you said in your first post:
Marsh04 wrote: I know any relocation might have some risks like future residence issues after the brexit is comploete
Agree with that :)
Political correctness is the belief that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.


Y77
Posts: 127
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:52 am

Re: Moving to the UK

Post by Y77 » Thu May 04, 2017 7:21 am

Karhunkoski wrote:
Marsh04 wrote: e.g if you lose your job you might have to find the next one within a certain time period else you have to go back to your home country.
I think you're correct, this policy is a definite possibility.

Is it a bad policy? Well if someone has paid taxes in a country, then they have had use of the state benefits: roads, healthcare, police security, kids in schools, etc. But if they become unemployed and stay that way for some years, maybe it's only fair that other taxpayers don't have to support them indefinitely?
The English only have to thank mr. Cameron that put them in this sad state of affairs with his brilliant referendum idea for his own political ambitions; he risked and lost, now HE should go Brussel to pull the chestnuts out of the fire instead of disappearing into thin air. Not even Mrs Tatcher managed to screw things up so badly and she wasn't certainly a EU fan.

Having said that, as long as I get the equivalent pension i deserve when I reach retirement age and the pound doesn't get too weak, for my 14 years of work and NI contributions, it's fine by me and wish them good luck.


User avatar
Karhunkoski
Posts: 7026
Joined: Mon Sep 25, 2006 1:44 pm
Location: Keski-Suomi

Re: Moving to the UK

Post by Karhunkoski » Thu May 04, 2017 3:29 pm

Y77 wrote: The English only have to thank mr. Cameron that put them in this sad state of affairs with his brilliant referendum idea for his own political ambitions;
I don't think Cameron wanted a referendum. Referendums tend to give too much democratic power to the electorate and most politicians hate that. They would much rather rule without giving the average Joe any real say about what happens in their country. Now that sounds like a good idea for a political system. Maybe we could call it the "European Union". :D

Personally, I would be worse off if the EU dies. But deep down I know that the EU is not good for the average guy in the street. Yes there are a whole raft of plusses and minuses with the EU, but when it comes down to brass tacks, the EU is anti-democratic. What's more important to you? Democracy or your pension?
Political correctness is the belief that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.


Post Reply