Moving to Finland from the U.S. with a British passport.

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
FromOregon

Post by FromOregon » Thu May 04, 2017 2:01 am

Hello Finland Forum,
I am a 30 year old Moving to Tampere this July. I have visited Tampere three times over the last 3 years staying as long as 5 months at one time. I have a network of very good Finnish friends willing and happy to help me, including free housing. They are not to knowledgeable about the bureaucratic process of earning a residency permit. Two of my friends living in Tampere were born in N.Y. and Venezuela, they are both granted a res. permit for having a child/marriage with a Fin. I was told(post Brexit) I could enter and apply for jobs as a Brit(E.U. citizen) with my British passport and it a matter of getting a job to get my res. permit. Does anyone have any experience with this? I do not speak Finnish and have worked in the U.S. as a chef, certified live in nanny and live elderly caregiver. I was told the Finnish language classes pay you and after a year you are tested for competence in reading, writing and speaking Finnish. I plan on attending university to get a better job in Tampere where I would be grateful to establish my life. Are there any fields of work in Finland that need people often? Thank you for your help.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Upphew

Re: Moving to Finland from the U.S. with a British passport.

Post by Upphew » Thu May 04, 2017 10:35 am

FromOregon wrote:Hello Finland Forum,
I am a 30 year old Moving to Tampere this July. I have visited Tampere three times over the last 3 years staying as long as 5 months at one time. I have a network of very good Finnish friends willing and happy to help me, including free housing. They are not to knowledgeable about the bureaucratic process of earning a residency permit. Two of my friends living in Tampere were born in N.Y. and Venezuela, they are both granted a res. permit for having a child/marriage with a Fin. I was told(post Brexit) I could enter and apply for jobs as a Brit(E.U. citizen) with my British passport and it a matter of getting a job to get my res. permit. Does anyone have any experience with this? I do not speak Finnish and have worked in the U.S. as a chef, certified live in nanny and live elderly caregiver. I was told the Finnish language classes pay you and after a year you are tested for competence in reading, writing and speaking Finnish. I plan on attending university to get a better job in Tampere where I would be grateful to establish my life. Are there any fields of work in Finland that need people often? Thank you for your help.
www.migri.fi
If you come with UK passport before they split from EU then you are EU citizen -> no residence permit. To register your right of residence you'll need to show that you are not burden for society. You want money to attend classes? Get married.
http://google.com http://translate.google.com http://urbandictionary.com
Visa is for visiting, Residence Permit for residing.

JuhlaMokka

Post by JuhlaMokka » Thu May 04, 2017 1:33 pm

FromOregon wrote:Hello Finland Forum,
As a EU citizen you don't need a residence permit, but you still need to be officially registered here to have right to stay. If you are moving alone, you have 2 options:
1. work - you'll need to prove you earn enough for living. No social support allowed up to 5 years depending on the city you will live. After that time you can get some money in case of unemployment, but probably you'll not get any courses any more, because the adaptation period is officially 3 years.
2. study - as EU citizen you have right to study for free, but still need money for living. No social support.
The 3. is optional to get married, then you'll get the courses and money for them.

FromOregon

Post by FromOregon » Fri May 05, 2017 5:07 pm

Thank you all for the clarification, its helps immensely. Kittos!