Can I get a visa as a freelancer?

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
ais

Post by ais » Thu May 11, 2017 1:11 am

I've been researching on countries where I can get a visa to migrate to (and eventually settle) as a freelancer and I'm now deciding on Finland. I've seen the self-employed visa information but it sounds like you need to establish a business in order to get that visa? What I am is an international contractor for a US-based company (it's the same as a freelancer as they don't have any employment entity in my country and I send them invoice at the end of each month to get paid). I would like to continue working for that US-based company as an international contractor after moving to Finland.

Now I'm wondering, would I fall under the "Self-employed" visa category?

The "other" category mentions that if I'm a member of the mass media or an international organization who does not have an office in Finland, I can apply through that. However, while the "International organization" part of that fits my scene, this is not a mass media so I'm confused whether this category fits my application.

Could someone shed some light whether it is at all possible for a freelancer like me (I provide IT-related services online) to move to Finland? I've seen that The Netherlands and Germany (Berlin) has a visa for freelancers, but I'm looking at Finland right now and would appreciate if someone could help me with this.

For the record, I'm outside of EU/EEA.

Thanks!

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

interleukin

Re: Can I get a visa as a freelancer?

Post by interleukin » Thu May 11, 2017 12:12 pm

Visa is for visiting, residence permit is for residing.

heretostay

Post by heretostay » Fri May 12, 2017 11:36 pm

To be considered for a residence permit on the basis of self-employment, you would need to show that either your business is a properly registered Finnish company or is an international company with work that requires you to be located in Finland. I know someone in a similar situation and they were denied a permit in 2016 because their freelance work did not require them to be in Finland.

eriknyk

Post by eriknyk » Sat Nov 02, 2019 2:12 am

Is possible to get a tourist visa, and staying on Finland open a local business there?
with the investment there is possible to get a residence permit?

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Sat Nov 02, 2019 10:20 pm

eriknyk wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 2:12 am
Is possible to get a tourist visa, and staying on Finland open a local business there?
with the investment there is possible to get a residence permit?
You can open a business from abroad. Tourist visa is irrelevant. However, without a residence permit you usually can’t work for the business in Finland.