Residence Permit, question about technical decision

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
Sinthetiks1222

Post by Sinthetiks1222 » Thu May 25, 2017 10:16 pm

Hi,

I am a chef in the USA of 23 years. I found a job offer in Tampere last November and applied for the residence permit in December. I have been living and working in the USA waiting for the permit decision. An immigration officer showed up at my girlfriends door in Finland, requesting to speak with me. The officer left a number I could reach him at. I immediately called and spoke to him. He told me that the decision could not be given to me over the phone, but he did give me a very small amount of information. He stated the decision was a "technical negative"? I do not understand what this means? The only thing he would tell me was that there was a signature missing, and possibly other things.

He asked me if I could come to Finland to meet with him and "discuss other options" for this permit. I am very confused on what all of this means, and what course of action I should take. Why would he ask me to come to Finland, if the decision is negative. The employer and myself have been in close contact and are both surprised by this "technical negative". I'm not even sure what that term means. I was under the impression that these decisions, both negative and positive would be delivered by post. Leaving my current job and going to Finland on a hope that this is fixable is a huge gamble, but I will do it if needed. The employer is currently trying to find out what the issue is, but I was hoping to find some advice or experience from here. I have been watching these forums since December, and it seems there is a lot of knowledge here. I have a great deal of my life riding on this decision. Thank you.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

heretostay

Re: Residence Permit, question about technical decision

Post by heretostay » Fri May 26, 2017 11:54 am

Did you original apply in Finland or at a consulate/embassy in the US?

tavastia

Post by tavastia » Fri May 26, 2017 12:17 pm

The reason could be anything but some of the requirements are not meet to grant the permit. Also TE-office opinion could have been one reason for possible refusal. They check if there is enough local people capable of doing the job you are applying for.

But hey, america is great again, no need to worry right? :)

ilikepeanutbutter

Post by ilikepeanutbutter » Fri May 26, 2017 12:32 pm

Sinthetiks1222 wrote:Hi,

I am a chef in the USA of 23 years. I found a job offer in Tampere last November and applied for the residence permit in December. I have been living and working in the USA waiting for the permit decision. An immigration officer showed up at my girlfriends door in Finland, requesting to speak with me. The officer left a number I could reach him at. I immediately called and spoke to him. He told me that the decision could not be given to me over the phone, but he did give me a very small amount of information. He stated the decision was a "technical negative"? I do not understand what this means? The only thing he would tell me was that there was a signature missing, and possibly other things.

He asked me if I could come to Finland to meet with him and "discuss other options" for this permit. I am very confused on what all of this means, and what course of action I should take. Why would he ask me to come to Finland, if the decision is negative. The employer and myself have been in close contact and are both surprised by this "technical negative". I'm not even sure what that term means. I was under the impression that these decisions, both negative and positive would be delivered by post. Leaving my current job and going to Finland on a hope that this is fixable is a huge gamble, but I will do it if needed. The employer is currently trying to find out what the issue is, but I was hoping to find some advice or experience from here. I have been watching these forums since December, and it seems there is a lot of knowledge here. I have a great deal of my life riding on this decision. Thank you.
I don't know squat first and foremost. Maybe they think you're immigrating to be with your girlfriend, and not for the job?

I have no idea though. Sorry :(

Kat

Sinthetiks1222

Post by Sinthetiks1222 » Fri May 26, 2017 7:24 pm

I originally applied in early December at the police station in Tampere. I have no criminal record and was quite honest on the application that the move is for two reasons. Great job opportunity and to be closer to my girlfriend. What confuses me is the officer who attempted to deliver the decision was very much wanting to have me come to Finland and discuss "other options". I know that often the details no matter how mundane cannot be discussed over the phone. It's the same here in the USA.

tavastia

Post by tavastia » Sat May 27, 2017 9:35 am

Application is technically negative because you applied from Finland. You should had applied from outside Finland thru embassy.

Upphew

Post by Upphew » Mon May 29, 2017 3:29 pm

Sinthetiks1222 wrote:I originally applied in early December at the police station in Tampere. I have no criminal record and was quite honest on the application that the move is for two reasons. Great job opportunity and to be closer to my girlfriend. What confuses me is the officer who attempted to deliver the decision was very much wanting to have me come to Finland and discuss "other options". I know that often the details no matter how mundane cannot be discussed over the phone. It's the same here in the USA.
Other options would have likely been: fly to USA, apply there, get the permit. I wondered the "technical negative" thing too, but most likely you would have gotten the RP if you had done the same stuff in USA. Check Aliens Act Section 49 @ finlex.fi.
http://google.com http://translate.google.com http://urbandictionary.com
Visa is for visiting, Residence Permit for residing.