Residence permit (family ties) processing

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
tuktuk

Re: Residence permit (family ties) processing

Post by tuktuk » Sat May 13, 2017 11:55 pm

thank you very much for the posts and your information :)

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

nosundays

Post by nosundays » Mon May 29, 2017 10:23 am

My spouse applied for residence permit in February in New Delhi. I'm a Finnish citizen, but his application is still not being processed. Are they not processing ANY of the applications submitted this year?

tuktuk

Post by tuktuk » Mon May 29, 2017 5:24 pm

[quote="nosundays"]My spouse applied for residence permit in February in New Delhi. I'm a Finnish citizen, but his application is still not being processed. Are they not processing ANY of the applications submitted this year?[/quot

My spouse also applied from Abu Dhabi in January this year and still there is no reply from migri. I think we are still in the queue. let see when our turn has come. I think they are still processing previous year applications.

nosundays

Post by nosundays » Tue May 30, 2017 7:11 am

tuktuk wrote:
nosundays wrote:My spouse applied for residence permit in February in New Delhi. I'm a Finnish citizen, but his application is still not being processed. Are they not processing ANY of the applications submitted this year?
My spouse also applied from Abu Dhabi in January this year and still there is no reply from migri. I think we are still in the queue. let see when our turn has come. I think they are still processing previous year applications.
You are a Finnish citizen, yes?

We had absolutely no idea about the transfer of applications from Police to Migri this year and we are banking on the average processing times that were on the website. I do not understand why Migri did not hire more staff in the beginning of the year when they were aware of the changes and increare of workload... They are now hiring more people starting from July according to Valtiolle.Fi.

They should simultaneously process applications submitted at the foreign missions, it's not like we ever even had the option to submit the application at police last year.

tavastia

Post by tavastia » Tue May 30, 2017 8:27 am

tuktuk wrote:
nosundays wrote:My spouse applied for residence permit in February in New Delhi. I'm a Finnish citizen, but his application is still not being processed. Are they not processing ANY of the applications submitted this year?[/quot

For family reunification processing time is about 9 months...

heretostay

Post by heretostay » Tue May 30, 2017 9:45 am

nosundays wrote:
tuktuk wrote:
nosundays wrote:My spouse applied for residence permit in February in New Delhi. I'm a Finnish citizen, but his application is still not being processed. Are they not processing ANY of the applications submitted this year?
They should simultaneously process applications submitted at the foreign missions, it's not like we ever even had the option to submit the application at police last year.

There is a queue and they are processing applications in the order of the queue. I know someone who applied in October and got their permit recently, but my neighbour's spouse is still waiting for an application to be processed that was submitted in November. It would be unfair to those waiting longest if applications submitted from this year were processed before those transferred from the police.

Migri has a bulletin on their website that is updated weekly. There are only 700 applications left from last year; which they hope to process by the end of June. We all have to be patient. They are doing the best they can at Migri.

nosundays

Post by nosundays » Tue May 30, 2017 11:48 am

tavastia wrote:
tuktuk wrote:
nosundays wrote:My spouse applied for residence permit in February in New Delhi. I'm a Finnish citizen, but his application is still not being processed. Are they not processing ANY of the applications submitted this year?[/quot

For family reunification processing time is about 9 months...
The average processing time for a spouse of Finnish citizen was 111 days (around 4 months) last year (http://www.migri.fi/nain_palvelemme/kas ... na_vuosina), not 9 months. 9 months is the MAXIMUM time for processing the application.

People who applied at police last year and people who applied at foreign missions are in different situations, though. Those who have applied at police are ALREADY in Finland, waiting for the decision to be made while those who have to apply abroad are kept apart from their families. And in worst cases long processing times for families abroad might also mean that Migri is breaking up families, because one has to move back to Finland without his/her spouse despite submitting the application in a reasonable time. It's not like Finnish citizens are able to live abroad forever either without valid permits.

I understand that Migri is doing best it can at the moment, but it still makes no sense why management did not hire more people to process the workload from the previous year. In fact Migri let go a lot of staff last year as there were not that many asylum applications anymore after 2015 (and they had hired loads of people in 2016 to process those applications). They could had just done internal transfers and not let go of those people.

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Tue May 30, 2017 12:49 pm

nosundays wrote:I understand that Migri is doing best it can at the moment, but it still makes no sense why management did not hire more people to process the workload from the previous year. In fact Migri let go a lot of staff last year as there were not that many asylum applications anymore after 2015 (and they had hired loads of people in 2016 to process those applications). They could had just done internal transfers and not let go of those people.
Migri can not necessarily transfer the people internally with their own authority. The parliament sets the budget and Migri can't just decide to increase their general operating expenses. It's likely that the asylum processing expenses were covered by one time financing for that purpose only.

nosundays

Post by nosundays » Wed May 31, 2017 8:04 am

betelgeuse wrote:
nosundays wrote:I understand that Migri is doing best it can at the moment, but it still makes no sense why management did not hire more people to process the workload from the previous year. In fact Migri let go a lot of staff last year as there were not that many asylum applications anymore after 2015 (and they had hired loads of people in 2016 to process those applications). They could had just done internal transfers and not let go of those people.
Migri can not necessarily transfer the people internally with their own authority. The parliament sets the budget and Migri can't just decide to increase their general operating expenses. It's likely that the asylum processing expenses were covered by one time financing for that purpose only.
But Migri should had anticipated the backlog and requested more funding -- the request only happened this spring and extra staff are being hired from July onwards.

I don't understand how Finnish government agencies are not prepared for increasing workload; the same thing happened with Kela when all the toimeentulo-hakemukset were transferred to them from the municipalities.

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Wed May 31, 2017 9:39 am

nosundays wrote:But Migri should had anticipated the backlog and requested more funding -- the request only happened this spring and extra staff are being hired from July onwards.

I don't understand how Finnish government agencies are not prepared for increasing workload; the same thing happened with Kela when all the toimeentulo-hakemukset were transferred to them from the municipalities.
It's easier telling politicians what they want to hear instead of what they need to hear.

Nepali_Pekka

Post by Nepali_Pekka » Sun Jun 04, 2017 3:52 am

applied for my wife on mid January from abroad and still waiting. I am Finnish. It is indeed painful to wait.

nosundays

Post by nosundays » Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:33 am

Nepali_Pekka wrote:applied for my wife on mid January from abroad and still waiting. I am Finnish. It is indeed painful to wait.
Yours has then already taken more than the average processing time was last year.

And Migri seems to be doing only 100 decisions per week at the moment; yesterday they announced there are 500 applications from police waiting to be processed, the number was 600 last week and two weeks ago it was 700. This is sluggish.

Nepali_Pekka

Post by Nepali_Pekka » Sat Jun 10, 2017 2:19 am

nosundays wrote:
Nepali_Pekka wrote:applied for my wife on mid January from abroad and still waiting. I am Finnish. It is indeed painful to wait.
Yours has then already taken more than the average processing time was last year.

And Migri seems to be doing only 100 decisions per week at the moment; yesterday they announced there are 500 applications from police waiting to be processed, the number was 600 last week and two weeks ago it was 700. This is sluggish.
yeah, it does feels like forever.
yes I did check the migri page seems that way.
btw anyone who has got from January?

tuktuk

Post by tuktuk » Sat Jun 10, 2017 11:14 pm

Nepali_Pekka wrote:
nosundays wrote:

yeah, it does feels like forever.
yes I did check the migri page seems that way.
btw anyone who has got from January?
I also Apply in the January but still waiting, waiting and waiting :(

nosundays

Post by nosundays » Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:15 am

Today Migri will again update its statistics. We see how long we have to wait.

We only submitted our application in February, but we were supposed to move out of India together in August. I do not think that is likely anymore.