Police ID for temporary resident

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
dmr958

Post by dmr958 » Mon May 29, 2017 11:55 pm

Apologies if this has been asked before, but I didn't see an example that exactly matched my circumstances.

I would like to get an official Finnish identity card (the kind that the police issue) because my bank is saying I need a Finnish ID to get access to electronic identification codes. The website says these are available for permanent residents. My question is, how do the police define permanent resident and would I count?

I am a United States citizen here as a researcher on an 18 month employment contract with a type B Finnish resident permit valid for that 18 month period. I have a Finnish personal identity code and have registered with the mastraati (but no municipality of residence since my contract is less than two years).

Thanks for any help in advance!

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

betelgeuse

Re: Police ID for temporary resident

Post by betelgeuse » Tue May 30, 2017 9:31 pm

dmr958 wrote: I would like to get an official Finnish identity card (the kind that the police issue) because my bank is saying I need a Finnish ID to get access to electronic identification codes. The website says these are available for permanent residents. My question is, how do the police define permanent resident and would I count?

I am a United States citizen here as a researcher on an 18 month employment contract with a type B Finnish resident permit valid for that 18 month period. I have a Finnish personal identity code and have registered with the mastraati (but no municipality of residence since my contract is less than two years).
The ID card requires municipality of residence

http://www.finlex.fi/fi/laki/ajantasa/2 ... 0663#L2P14

You should request the bank use this process:

http://www.poliisi.fi/licences/instruct ... _documents

ilikepeanutbutter

Post by ilikepeanutbutter » Wed May 31, 2017 9:54 pm

dmr958 wrote:Apologies if this has been asked before, but I didn't see an example that exactly matched my circumstances.

I would like to get an official Finnish identity card (the kind that the police issue) because my bank is saying I need a Finnish ID to get access to electronic identification codes. The website says these are available for permanent residents. My question is, how do the police define permanent resident and would I count?

Thanks for any help in advance!
Try different banks too. Some are more forgiving than others.

Kat

Beep_Boop

Post by Beep_Boop » Wed May 31, 2017 10:14 pm

ilikepeanutbutter wrote:Try different banks too. Some are more forgiving than others.
Nope. There's no forgiveness in this. The matter of online identification through banks is strictly regulated. If your identity isn't strongly verified in Finland, no online identification for you.
Last edited by Beep_Boop on Fri Jun 02, 2017 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Every case is unique. You can't measure the result of your application based on arbitrary anecdotes online.

tavastia

Post by tavastia » Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:55 am

If you get the ID-card you don't need the bank codes to identify yourself, you can use the card itself, but may not work for some services. E.g. vero, is there but if you try to use it will fail.