Advice On Moving To Helsinki. Help!

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
nathanr8

Post by nathanr8 » Wed May 31, 2017 10:03 pm

Hi Everyone, I am still looking for a bit of help with moving to Finland.

I intend to save 2000 euro and move to Helsinki by the end of July but I am still needing help with finding employment for english speakers as I do not speak Finnish.

I have been in contact with recruitment agencies and Eures and tried to contact companies directly but I am not getting very far, understandable considering I dont even speak Finnish. Also, most of the sites i am trying to use to find jobs are all in Finnish, even the ones I find that are available in english, the job titles and details are still in Finnish.

Would 2000 euro be enough to move there with?
Where can I find companies that employ english speakers?
I understand it would be easier to find employment while I am there, should I not get anywhere until I mover there. Is this an alright thing to do?
Is it a hard language to learn? As I intend to learn Finnish when I move there as well as do some homework before I go.

I just need some advice as I want to start over and Finland is where I most want to do it.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

rinso

Re: Advice On Moving To Helsinki. Help!

Post by rinso » Thu Jun 01, 2017 6:39 am

nathanr8 wrote:Hi Everyone, I am still looking for a bit of help with moving to Finland.

I intend to save 2000 euro and move to Helsinki by the end of July but I am still needing help with finding employment for english speakers as I do not speak Finnish.

I have been in contact with recruitment agencies and Eures and tried to contact companies directly but I am not getting very far, understandable considering I dont even speak Finnish. Also, most of the sites i am trying to use to find jobs are all in Finnish, even the ones I find that are available in english, the job titles and details are still in Finnish.

I understand it would be easier to find employment while I am there, should I not get anywhere until I mover there. Is this an alright thing to do?
Is it a hard language to learn? As I intend to learn Finnish when I move there as well as do some homework before I go.

I just need some advice as I want to start over and Finland is where I most want to do it.

Thanks in advance.
1- With your skill set and experience but without speaking Finnish, I think it is almost impossible to find a job while being abroad.
2- Finnish is difficult to learn. It might take over a year before you could manage (a little bit) on your own.
3- € 2000,- is not enough. You probably need 10 times that amount.
4- English orientated companies are mainly found in the IT sector.

In short your prospects are bleak. I would not quite my job if I were you.

biscayne

Post by biscayne » Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:11 am

You would burn through 2000e in a month easily.

interleukin

Post by interleukin » Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:47 pm

Consider also that most landlords will require a deposit of 2-3 months rent when making a rental contract.

wolf80

Post by wolf80 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:42 pm

interleukin wrote:Consider also that most landlords will require a deposit of 2-3 months rent when making a rental contract.
Considering he probably won't have a Finnish ID number and a Finnish bank account it would be hard to find a landlord willing to take him anyway. Maybe he would have a chance in a private (non-HOAS) student flat share.
nathanr8 wrote:Hi Everyone, I am still looking for a bit of help with moving to Finland.

Thanks in advance.
If you really want to move to Finland do it properly (why do you want to move here anyway?). Get skills that are needed in Finland and that allow you to find employment without speaking Finnish. Because learning Finnish is a long and hard road, so don't count too much on it. Save some money, and moving without a job contract means an amount not under 10,000 Euro in my opinon. Eeven with skills needed urgently on the job market it will take you months to get a job and another one to get the first salary. Finland is expensive, much more than you realise yet, especially when you are not in the social security/health system as you didn't contribute to it yet. Without skills you can stand in line with all the other foreigners who are unemployed and seeking work, there are thousands that would kill for an unskilled job that doesn't require any Finnish.

FYI, when looking for jobs you see one that requires English but the title (and possibly the ad itself) is in Finnish, that does NOT mean that they are looking for an English-speaking foreigner without Finnish skills. That just means that they are looking for a Finnish speaker with good additional English skills!!

JuhlaMokka

Post by JuhlaMokka » Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:08 pm

Thanks in advance.
You will spend 2000 probably in first 2 weeks, as first days you'll have to live in a hotel, eat something, buy transport tickets and so on. As I understood, you've never been to Finland before, so may be you'd better just visit it first?