Living in a caravan for 2-3 months

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
ynef

Post by ynef » Sat Jun 03, 2017 3:21 pm

Hello,

I would like to visit Finland this summer and hope to live in my caravan for the duration of 2-3 months.

I have taken a look at various campsites and caravan parks, but they only allow up to two weeks at most and are pretty expensive (around $30+ for 24hours). I can get an apartment for cheaper than that!

I don't really need electricity because I can charge my laptop in the car.

Does any one of you know of a cheaper way to do this? I am from Estonia and here we have plenty of parking lots with 24/7 guard and fence around the perimeter and it costs $30 a month to park the van there. Was kind of hoping for a similar spot and although I am aware that everything is more expensive in Finland, I didn't expect $30 per 24 hours.

As I already mentioned above I am not after luxury. So it does not have to be built for caravans in mind. I just need a spot to park the van. Simple as that. It would be great if someone would allow me to park on their land in exchange for some help around the garden etc.

Are there any areas outside of Helsinki that you can use to park the van for free?

Thanks!

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Piet

Re: Living in a caravan for 2-3 months

Post by Piet » Sat Jun 03, 2017 10:36 pm

ynef wrote:Hello,

I would like to visit Finland this summer and hope to live in my caravan for the duration of 2-3 months.

I have taken a look at various campsites and caravan parks, but they only allow up to two weeks at most and are pretty expensive (around $30+ for 24hours). I can get an apartment for cheaper than that!

Does any one of you know of a cheaper way to do this? I am from Estonia and here we have plenty of parking lots with 24/7 guard and fence around the perimeter and it costs $30 a month to park the van there. Was kind of hoping for a similar spot and although I am aware that everything is more expensive in Finland, I didn't expect $30 per 24 hours.

As I already mentioned above I am not after luxury. So it does not have to be built for caravans in mind. I just need a spot to park the van. Simple as that. It would be great if someone would allow me to park on their land in exchange for some help around the garden etc.

Are there any areas outside of Helsinki that you can use to park the van for free?

Thanks!
I guess if you dispose of your !"#¤% and pee and dish wash water and bathing water in a big jar and take it back to Estonia, than the 30 euro's is a bit expensive yes. If you do the same for all your food remains and plastic waste, then 30 euro's is more than a bit expensive, if you also don't need to get rid of all your burnable waste and take that back too, than it is for sure expensive. If you do not use a grill that creates smoke and ashes, well more expensive as previous explained.

What I would like to point out is that parking on a parking lot is a bit different than actually living there, hence the difference in price. IMHO 30€ a day for a camper (RV) or caravan is not at all expensive if you have all above facilities mentioned (without the electricity, that will maybe cost you more....or not).

I wonder how you will take care of your waste problem if you are on some ones land, especially the chemical part of your waste (plastics / your chemical toilet, washing detergents etc.) You cant just burn all your chemicals, that would be so "un-green" polluting, you cannot bury them either (morally).

I mean there is more to just sleeping when you are living in a caravan (I assume you do not sleep for 3 months on the same sheets and wear the same clothes without washing and only eat berries).

Campsite Oitaa in Espoo is 15€ a day for your caravan and 6€ a day for yourself = 21€ a day (electricity another 6€) and you can of course book multiple periods of 14 days using their website. Not so bad and a nice place to be (have been there myself 8) )
If god would give us the source code, we could change the world

heretostay

Post by heretostay » Sun Jun 04, 2017 2:07 am

Thanks!
Call campgrounds directly and ask for a season price. The ones further away from Helsinki are most likely to offer a better deal.

JuhlaMokka

Post by JuhlaMokka » Sun Jun 04, 2017 5:09 pm

Thanks!
http://caravan-lehti.fi/matkaparkit/ A list of caravan parkings. Some of them are free and some are much cheaper than 30e.