Social security and Health care

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
Mizu1993

Post by Mizu1993 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:20 pm

One month ago, I applied for both of them and I got refused. Problem now is, that I am already in the moving and quit my apartment in Austria (where I am now). I am 24, pregnant from a finn and that is why we wanted to move together in an apartment. I already have an apartment in Finland with my fiánce and I am registered there that this is also my apartment. I already have a finnish bank account. Kela and the unemployment center know that I am pregnant, I will get the baby in nov./dec., also I have an autoimmune disease and they decline to give me health care !? I am an EU citizen and I have the paper that I can stay permanent in Finland. Also I would just get 118€ from Kela to live, but this is my smallest problem now. How can that be? So I should pay all the doctor appointments on my own and should give birth at home, without a midwife and doctors ??? :( And no Social security?

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

betelgeuse

Re: Social security and Health care

Post by betelgeuse » Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:33 pm

Mizu1993 wrote:One month ago, I applied for both of them and I got refused. Problem now is, that I am already in the moving and quit my apartment in Austria (where I am now). I am 24, pregnant from a finn and that is why we wanted to move together in an apartment. I already have an apartment in Finland with my fiánce and I am registered there that this is also my apartment. I already have a finnish bank account. Kela and the unemployment center know that I am pregnant, I will get the baby in nov./dec., also I have an autoimmune disease and they decline to give me health care !? I am an EU citizen and I have the paper that I can stay permanent in Finland. Also I would just get 118€ from Kela to live, but this is my smallest problem now. How can that be? So I should pay all the doctor appointments on my own and should give birth at home, without a midwife and doctors ??? :( And no Social security?
When you apply to Kela, it's not about most of the health care costs. Your health care is provided by your municipality of residence which is recorded in the population register. For health care Kela only covers things like medication and sickness allowance. Since you don't mention why you get denied, it's impossible to say whether it was justified.

Piet

Post by Piet » Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:23 pm

Mizu1993 wrote:One month ago, I applied for both of them and I got refused. Problem now is, that I am already in the moving and quit my apartment in Austria (where I am now). I am 24, pregnant from a finn and that is why we wanted to move together in an apartment. I already have an apartment in Finland with my fiánce and I am registered there that this is also my apartment. I already have a finnish bank account. Kela and the unemployment center know that I am pregnant, I will get the baby in nov./dec., also I have an autoimmune disease and they decline to give me health care !? I am an EU citizen and I have the paper that I can stay permanent in Finland. Also I would just get 118€ from Kela to live, but this is my smallest problem now. How can that be? So I should pay all the doctor appointments on my own and should give birth at home, without a midwife and doctors ??? :( And no Social security?

Kela will only give you both as soon as you are married to the Finnish citizen (or if you qualify in other ways for right of permanent residence), in that case, right to these social securities start immediately as you are registered living in Finland, NOT before.! Although healthcare you will always get because if you still are resident of another EU country, you have health insurance there and with a European health insurance card (the dark blue thing) you will get the needed services.

You mention you are engaged (fiancé), so why not get married quickly now and everything goes sooooo much easier (also the registering of the father to the child is than automatically done).
Just make an appointment with maistraatti for marriage, take 2 witnesses with you and be done with it. (you can always do it later again properly with guests and a party :wink: )
After you got married, you will get money from kela for pregnancy leave I think from 2 months before calculated date (but betelgeuse know this better :wink: ), after marriage all your health care costs are paid (except you own part). If you and your husband by then, do not have enough money (too low income), you apply for toimeentulotuki also at kela and mention here your medical condition and all medical bills are taken care of too (you still have to fill in the forms and deliver them with the bills to them but hey, it can be too easy too).

But honestly to answer your question: "Also I would just get 118€ from Kela to live, but this is my smallest problem now. How can that be?" I suspect the income of your partner is too high so he will have to pay for everything you can't pay for. If not see my remark about toimeentulotuki.
If god would give us the source code, we could change the world

inkku

Post by inkku » Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:52 am

You ask the father of your baby to read and translate this
http://www.kela.fi/etuuksienmaksu/perhe-etuudet

To my knowledge, you can ask to be included to Kela system AFTER you have moved. Apparently, you have not yet moved?

Mizu1993

Post by Mizu1993 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:52 pm

Piet wrote:

Kela will only give you both as soon as you are married to the Finnish citizen (or if you qualify in other ways for right of permanent residence), in that case, right to these social securities start immediately as you are registered living in Finland, NOT before.! Although healthcare you will always get because if you still are resident of another EU country, you have health insurance there and with a European health insurance card (the dark blue thing) you will get the needed services.

You mention you are engaged (fiancé), so why not get married quickly now and everything goes sooooo much easier (also the registering of the father to the child is than automatically done).
Just make an appointment with maistraatti for marriage, take 2 witnesses with you and be done with it. (you can always do it later again properly with guests and a party :wink: )
After you got married, you will get money from kela for pregnancy leave I think from 2 months before calculated date (but betelgeuse know this better :wink: ), after marriage all your health care costs are paid (except you own part). If you and your husband by then, do not have enough money (too low income), you apply for toimeentulotuki also at kela and mention here your medical condition and all medical bills are taken care of too (you still have to fill in the forms and deliver them with the bills to them but hey, it can be too easy too).

But honestly to answer your question: "Also I would just get 118€ from Kela to live, but this is my smallest problem now. How can that be?" I suspect the income of your partner is too high so he will have to pay for everything you can't pay for. If not see my remark about toimeentulotuki.
I have the EU register and I am allowed to be in Finland as long as I want. I was also asking about marriage, but Kela said that it won't change. Also I am already registered to an apartment in Finland.

Mizu1993

Post by Mizu1993 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:54 pm

inkku wrote:You ask the father of your baby to read and translate this

To my knowledge, you can ask to be included to Kela system AFTER you have moved. Apparently, you have not yet moved?
I am in between for now. I am registered to live in Finland since May, but technically, I do the moving now

Piet

Post by Piet » Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:25 pm

Mizu1993 wrote:
inkku wrote:You ask the father of your baby to read and translate this

I am in between for now. I am registered to live in Finland since May, but technically, I do the moving now
Apparently something is wrong in your case, either you have understood something wrong from Kela or Kela misunderstood you.

As you say you are already a resident from Finland and registered (at maistraatti) living on the address you mention as being your apartment, and you're qualified to stay in Finland as long as you want (on what basis?) you are eligible to all Kela services including the health insurance.

The only thing I can think of is that Kela either does not understand your stay in Finland is permanent, or your right to stay in Finland permanent is based on the income of your partner, in both those situations I can imagine that you have to pay for everything yourself, and this changes the moment your child is being born, than you will have right of permanent residence based on family ties, or you get married and therefore have the right of permanent residence and can apply for all social securities and Kela health care insurance.
What I don't get from your story is why Kela pays you 118 euro's a month, if they do this, you are in the system and so you have the health care insurance of Kela, so apply for a kela card immediately!

So far several facts are missing to point out for you where the problem lies.

Things that must be known to address your situation:

Based on what right do you have the right of permanent residence? (being an EU citizen is not enough, this gives you only the right to stay here indefinitely but not the right to use the social system, so you need to support yourself).
What is the allowance called you receive from Kela (118€)?
Are you registered at TE office as jobseeker (does not matter if you are pregnant or not, you must be registered as job seeker to receive unemployment benefits from Kela.
Is you apartment rental or owned by you and your future husband? Do you or your future husband receive housing allowance for the whole family (asumistuki).

And this is just a start..welcome into the bureaucracy. :wink:

Mizu1993

Post by Mizu1993 » Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:58 pm

Piet wrote:
Mizu1993 wrote:
inkku wrote:
Based on what right do you have the right of permanent residence? (being an EU citizen is not enough, this gives you only the right to stay here indefinitely but not the right to use the social system, so you need to support yourself).
What is the allowance called you receive from Kela (118€)?
Are you registered at TE office as jobseeker (does not matter if you are pregnant or not, you must be registered as job seeker to receive unemployment benefits from Kela.
Is you apartment rental or owned by you and your future husband? Do you or your future husband receive housing allowance for the whole family (asumistuki). :wink:
I have the paper that I can stay in Finland permanent.
I have no idea what it is called.
I am registered at the TE office as jobseeker.
The apartment is rental by both of us. Yes, we have housing allowance.

Piet

Post by Piet » Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:16 pm

Mizu1993 wrote: I have the paper that I can stay in Finland permanent.
I have no idea what it is called.
I am registered at the TE office as jobseeker.
The apartment is rental by both of us. Yes, we have housing allowance.
The paper with the decision from Kela will tell you what kind of allowance you get and based on what information.

But again based on the information you gave here, it seems you are allowed to stay in Finland with your boyfriend because he is paying for your stay. That means he has to get you a private health insurance.

When you are EU citizen and married to a Finn and living in Finland (registered at maistraatti) or you can prove you have been living together already for 2 year and continue to do so, you have right on Kela healthcare and unemployment benefits. However these unemployment benefits from Kela might be low or have a waiting time in the beginning (7 or 8 days till sometimes 3 months). However in this case you can always get toimeentulotuki, this is a last resort income support also from Kela, you need to apply for this separately.

So the story that being married would not make a difference is not true (based on the information you give here). Again the only reason I can think of here is that your right to stay in Finland is based on your boyfriends income. (this changes as soon as the baby is here and the father accepts it as his, then you are resident based on family ties, which in effect is the same as being married).

For any other conclusion you just do not provide enough information.