Renewal of student residence permit

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
tulwio

Post by tulwio » Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:19 am

Hello,
I am an international student here in Finland and I currently have a student residence permit that I need to renew in August. However as part of my studies, I will be studying abroad during an exchange period, which would mean that I would not be in Finland for at least 5+ months.
Do I still have to renew my permit on August or can I postpone it until I am about to come back from my exchange period ? I tried asking this to the local migri office but I did not get a straight answer and the school where I study did not have much information about situations like this.

So did anyone before have a situation like this ?

Cheers.

Nobody will never ever, ever, really, really know, because the more you know, the more you know that you don't know !"#¤% - MF DOOM

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Beep_Boop

Re: Renewal of student residence permit

Post by Beep_Boop » Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:07 pm

I don't know what you should do or what you're allowed to do, but I can tell you what I would personally do. I'd just renew it before the exchange period. It's still valid in the Schengen area for travels, and you don't know what will happen during your exchange studies, what if you needed to come back to Finland for some reason? In my opinion, the peace of mind is worth it.
Every f*cking case is unique. You can't measure the result of your application based on arbitrary anecdotes online. Stop being a moron!

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:52 pm

Beep_Boop wrote:I don't know what you should do or what you're allowed to do, but I can tell you what I would personally do. I'd just renew it before the exchange period. It's still valid in the Schengen area for travels, and you don't know what will happen during your exchange studies, what if you needed to come back to Finland for some reason? In my opinion, the peace of mind is worth it.
One potential downside I see is looking into how Migri study progressing tracking works. I assume in this situation it's not a problem as long as the exchange results in credits in Finland.
tulwio wrote: Do I still have to renew my permit on August or can I postpone it until I am about to come back from my exchange period ? I tried asking this to the local migri office but I did not get a straight answer and the school where I study did not have much information about situations like this.
You probably want to renew because otherwise your next application will be handled as the first application and will cost more. However, you are not required by law to do this. You are only required to hold a residence permit in Finland to physically be here on a non tourist status (for the purpose of this answer we can skip things like asylum).

tulwio

Post by tulwio » Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:29 pm

Cheers guys, I have contacted migri yet again and this time they gave me a crystal clear answer, explaining that I am not bound by having a residence permit if I am not physically there and i can simply apply for a new one when I will be coming back to Finland.

Another question though regarding RP renewal and extension which I forgot to inquire about through migri (I know, my fault), if I am extending my permit in Finland, do I need to have my means of support, so basically the whole 6000 euro ish sum, in a Finnish bank account or is it fine to have them in my bank account in my home country, just like when I applied for RP for the first time ? I am asking this because it is no easy feat to send over such a big sum at once from my home country's personal bank to abroad, I only have an agreement with them under which I am allowed to send over a monthly sum of 1000 euros each time to live off ? What do yall think ?

Thanks a lot again
Nobody will never ever, ever, really, really know, because the more you know, the more you know that you don't know !"#¤% - MF DOOM