16 year old interested in Finland

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
Juomi

Post by Juomi » Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:18 pm

Hello! I am interesting in learning more about Finland as I consider what I would like to do in life. I currently live in the United Kingdom and possess an Irish passport and so will remain a citizen of the European Union. I am interested in potentially getting a job that relates to computer systems and networks. If this is the job path I choose to go down - would I need to study at a university? What salary could I expect at the entry level in, lets say, Helsinki? Can I just move to Helsinki, get an Finnish residency permit and get a job? Would a Finnish company be likely to hire me if I did not speak Finnish? Do I need to learn Finnish and if so how long would it take? Should I study in Finland?

I appreciate that they are a lot of questions I have asked but I can think of no better place to ask than here and I would be really grateful if somebody could help me out here and give some advice.

Thank you! :D

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

sky2

Re: 16 year old interested in Finland

Post by sky2 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:21 pm

You won't get a job without Finnish language and education.
Complete your high school there and then get enrolled in a university of applied sciences in Finland. Plenty of these institutes offer bachelor degrees in IT in English language. Study 4 years, get good programming skills and you'll find a job.

JuhlaMokka

Post by JuhlaMokka » Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:16 pm

Juomi wrote:would I need to study at a university?
What salary could I expect at the entry level in, lets say, Helsinki?
Can I just move to Helsinki, get an Finnish residency permit and get a job?
Would a Finnish company be likely to hire me if I did not speak Finnish?
Do I need to learn Finnish and if so how long would it take?
Should I study in Finland?
In most cases, if you are not a genius, yes you need to complete a university degree.
As a trainee you can work even for free, it also depends a lot will you speak Finnish or not. So I would define as from 0 to 3500 at start.
You cannot just move. First get a job, after it you can move. You also can live as a tourist for up to 3 months.
If you will be at a beginner level rare finnish company will want to hire you.
If you once will get hired, you basically don't need to learn finnish, but it would help you a lot in case you lose the job. It would take from 1 year to infinity.
You can study in Finland if you wish so. It of course will help you to get familiar with the country. But it will be hard to find a job with only english anyway, and if you don't get one, you'll have to leave.

Juomi

Post by Juomi » Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:22 pm

JuhlaMokka wrote:
Juomi wrote:would I need to study at a university?
What salary could I expect at the entry level in, lets say, Helsinki?
Can I just move to Helsinki, get an Finnish residency permit and get a job?
Would a Finnish company be likely to hire me if I did not speak Finnish?
Do I need to learn Finnish and if so how long would it take?
Should I study in Finland?
In most cases, if you are not a genius, yes you need to complete a university degree.
As a trainee you can work even for free, it also depends a lot will you speak Finnish or not. So I would define as from 0 to 3500 at start.
You cannot just move. First get a job, after it you can move. You also can live as a tourist for up to 3 months.
If you will be at a beginner level rare finnish company will want to hire you.
If you once will get hired, you basically don't need to learn finnish, but it would help you a lot in case you lose the job. It would take from 1 year to infinity.
You can study in Finland if you wish so. It of course will help you to get familiar with the country. But it will be hard to find a job with only english anyway, and if you don't get one, you'll have to leave.
Thank you for responding. This is very helpful. Would I have to leave despite having an EU citizenship and passport?

Upphew

Post by Upphew » Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:37 am

Juomi wrote:Thank you for responding. This is very helpful. Would I have to leave despite having an EU citizenship and passport?
No, if you have excellent savings. How would you pay your rent and eat, in long term, without job?
http://google.com http://translate.google.com http://urbandictionary.com
Visa is for visiting, Residence Permit for residing.