Experiences: Parking Fines

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.

Re: Experiences: Parking Fines

Post by 007 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:53 pm

FloydFin wrote:
007 wrote:so they will send reminder notice to the address of the owner of the car that has that number plate..... when unwanted bill comes, definitely he/She will complain about it.
Remember it's an Estonian license plate not a Finnish one, so the mix up will still yield an Estonian number.
http://www.iltasanomat.fi/autot/art-1288451618541.html seems temporary forigners can thumb their noses at parking fines.

“Go where you are celebrated – not tolerated."
"Aina, kun opit uuden sanan, opettele samalla sen monikko!"

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

mariannn_b

Post by mariannn_b » Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:16 pm

Upphew wrote:
Do you live in Finland or in some other country? Yeah, I know you are here now, but where are you registered as resident? If in Finland, you can't drive, legally, a car with foreign plates without the owner of said car being in the car and that owner being a resident in some other country.
Thanks for pointing that out! I have seen that document some time ago, but it seems I did not read careful enough.
Yes, I am a resident of Finland as I am studying here. And yes, you are allowed to drive your car (registered in home country) as long as you visit Tulli office and ask for permission. Based on the proof that you actually study (student status certificate, transcript of records, etc.) you can get this permission. The permission is granted for 6 to 12 months on a case-by-case basis.

mariannn_b

Post by mariannn_b » Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:20 pm

007 wrote: I think they will take action once they realize that they have made a mistake... but by the time they realize, owner is already out of the country? but again.... such parking fines, library dues etc. are nasty b*ches.. which will definitely come to haunt you once you (/the car's owner) come to reside here again. btw, a couple of months ago, there was this 4000 miles car rally where foreign registered cars oversped and all. traffic issued tickets but they are not likely to ever get paid.
No, I will be living in Finland for some time. You are right, and I do not want to have problems with this later. I will contact them and see what they say. Thanks for the help!

Upphew

Post by Upphew » Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:56 pm

mariannn_b wrote:
Upphew wrote: Do you live in Finland or in some other country? Yeah, I know you are here now, but where are you registered as resident? If in Finland, you can't drive, legally, a car with foreign plates without the owner of said car being in the car and that owner being a resident in some other country.
Thanks for pointing that out! I have seen that document some time ago, but it seems I did not read careful enough.
Yes, I am a resident of Finland as I am studying here. And yes, you are allowed to drive your car (registered in home country) as long as you visit Tulli office and ask for permission. Based on the proof that you actually study (student status certificate, transcript of records, etc.) you can get this permission. The permission is granted for 6 to 12 months on a case-by-case basis.
http://www.tulli.fi/en/finnish_customs/ ... 005_en.pdf
While you got permission now, there might be time that you must get the car out of country for 6 months. The university studies part is a bit vague and customs aren't known to read things so it helps people to dodge taxes.
http://google.com http://translate.google.com http://urbandictionary.com
Visa is for visiting, Residence Permit for residing.

Amarulka

Post by Amarulka » Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:00 am

Guys, is it legal that the Vantaa guys responded that they will send me a decision about my complaint (arse wholes moved the parking sign during the day!) after TWO MONTHS and meanwhile I MUST pay the fine anyway?

The guys from Espoo responded to my complaint within 2 days and in that response it stated that I must pay the fine within 4 weeks of the complaint response.

Pursuivant

Post by Pursuivant » Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:12 am

mariannn_b wrote:Thanks for pointing that out! I have seen that document some time ago, but it seems I did not read careful enough.
Yes, but it also says when studies end, you go. If you stay - your car is getting taxed as its not a "removal" any more, and you can't drive it. Comes back to bite in the ass that one.
"By the pricking of my thumbs,
Something wicked this way comes."

survivor

Post by survivor » Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:38 pm

I park my car in the 24 hr parking area and it happened that the other day I came to look for my car to drive to cottage and it was gone. I thought it was stolen so thus calling the police, fillingthe form etc. And then police replied within 20mins that my car had been pulled away for over limit parking time. I called the number police provided and found out along with paying the car pullling service, there were also 3 parking tickets to be paid. Total sum was approx. 400€. (Which is like life or death money)
So the reason for 3 tickets is that I thought its a free parking lot and so I left the car there for a couple of days not going anywhere and it was obvious that I never saw or realised that I was getting tickets. So after 3 tickets in 3 days. They just pulled the car away without notifying me anything.
Any idea or past experience with this kind of situation and how to make a legit begging for leniency? -thanks. (Its Vantaa we re talking about here)

Btw, one side thought, anyone knows if there people pulling the car away have keys to all cars? Since when I got the car at the lot, it was open? Also the other day I saw one guy pulling one car on the street and he could just got in and drove the car out???

Piet

Post by Piet » Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:21 pm

survivor wrote:I park my car in the 24 hr parking area and it happened that the other day I came to look for my car to drive to cottage and it was gone. I thought it was stolen so thus calling the police, fillingthe form etc. And then police replied within 20mins that my car had been pulled away for over limit parking time. I called the number police provided and found out along with paying the car pullling service, there were also 3 parking tickets to be paid. Total sum was approx. 400€. (Which is like life or death money)
So the reason for 3 tickets is that I thought its a free parking lot and so I left the car there for a couple of days not going anywhere and it was obvious that I never saw or realised that I was getting tickets. So after 3 tickets in 3 days. They just pulled the car away without notifying me anything.
Any idea or past experience with this kind of situation and how to make a legit begging for leniency? -thanks. (Its Vantaa we re talking about here)

Btw, one side thought, anyone knows if there people pulling the car away have keys to all cars? Since when I got the car at the lot, it was open? Also the other day I saw one guy pulling one car on the street and he could just got in and drove the car out???
Yeah that sucks, 24H parking places are checked regularly with the guy making pictures of all cars parked there, to see if they moved in the past 24 hours. They are exceptionally interested in the position of the tire valves, that are a strong evidence that the car did not move if they are in exactly the same position.

You should be glad you are not in London, the fine would be much higher :ochesey:

From most modern cars there are master keys / codes to open and even start them. These are widely used by criminals as well.

Look on the bright side: you are lucky it was not stolen!! now it costs you only 400 euro's instead of buying a new car (of course if the car is not worth 400€ you are screwed).

I guess 2 tickets before getting it away, is quite lenient (you got the 3rd when they towed it), I know of places you get none and you will be towed immediately.

Lesson for the next time, move your car every day (within 24 hours) 0.5 meter to the front or to the back. Problem solved. :mrgreen:
If god would give us the source code, we could change the world

survivor

Post by survivor » Mon Jul 03, 2017 5:25 am

Yes. I think it is really horrible policy pulling the car away without letting the owner know at least. I have seen somewhere the guy leaves a note when they tow the car away.
Also, really dont get it as many cars around remained the same for days and not a single ticket. :(

Tiwaz

Post by Tiwaz » Mon Jul 03, 2017 3:40 pm

survivor wrote:Yes. I think it is really horrible policy pulling the car away without letting the owner know at least. I have seen somewhere the guy leaves a note when they tow the car away.
Also, really dont get it as many cars around remained the same for days and not a single ticket. :(
Leave note? Where? On the front window of the car towed away? Or on front window of car nearby, demanding that owner must not move that car away? On the ground and have the parking lot forbidden from use until you have found it?

Where, precisely, you would like to have this note placed so that it will be there for you to find when you arrive?
Parking lot is there to be used and generally there is little to no places for attaching any notes, which in turn could be removed by either weather or some random person. Pointless act, when it is simple as contacting police (which you would do if your car was stolen right?) to find out that it was towed away.

As for cars that were not ticketed. Are you 100% certain they have not moved? If there is evidence of car having MOVED, even if it is 20cm so that the tire valves have clearly moved then it is enough.

survivor

Post by survivor » Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:36 pm

Well the car looks exactly in one place for days. I checked the valves lol. No tickets at all. the rear bump looked like its been in an accident. However it looks perfectly functional to be moved. Not sure if that is the reason. This car at least have been there for days and I notice few others being there for 2 days or so before they are moved. Bottom line is perhaps my car looks intact and sound and so deserved some tickets?
The car that was towed away. It was on the street so the note was left on the sign post next to it.

Tiredtraveller

Post by Tiredtraveller » Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:36 pm

Hi Helsinki/Finland

Looking for some advice please.

I was not aware that the, 'Parking Clock' in the (hire) car window had to display my arrival time at the S-Supermarket in Helsinki.
I was inside the store no more than 25-30 minutes and parked for no more than 35 minutes - I spotted a small rolled up yellow paper resting on the hire car bonnet when I came out with my shopping.

I do not know any Finnish language but had tried to research driving/parking etc before arriving from UK.
It turns out the yellow paper was a (?) parking fine issued by Parkkipate.fi - for not displaying our arrival time at the Supermarket and also implied was that we had stayed for more than 2 hours.

We contacted Parkkipate.fi and provided evidence that we had only just arrived/landed at Helsinki Airport.
That we had, within the last hour, just booked into our hotel, after collecting our hire car and so it was physically impossible for us to have been in the S-Supermarket for more than 2 hours.
We were also able to quote the time our till receipt was issued by S-Supermarket - and therefore prove that we could not have been in the Supermarket car park for more than two hours
The fine is for 60 Euros.
I think that is a very heavy fine for a genuine error.
We had no idea that such a system was in place in Supermarkets in Finland.

Parkkipate.fi state that the fine is not about parking for more than two hours, but, about the fact that we had not displayed our arrival time.

We had been in Finland barely 3 hours - we have contacted Parkkipate.fi to ask that they could show some leniency and fairness in this situation. (Come on Finland - have a heart ❤️)

There is no fairness or leniency from Parkkipate.fi - we were pretty tired after a long journey and there was no way we deliberately wanted to break the car parking laws - can anyone please advise us - is there an appeals system?
Parkkipate have said they will take us to court.

We had such a great time in Finland - such a beautiful country, but, this action by Parkkipate.fi seems very unreasonable and harsh.
Thanking responders in advance

Tired Traveller

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:35 pm

Tiredtraveller wrote:It turns out the yellow paper was a (?) parking fine issued by Parkkipate.fi - for not displaying our arrival time at the Supermarket and also implied was that we had stayed for more than 2 hours.
It's not a fine. Parkkipate is a private company and only only city officials can give you fines. It's a private contract dispute. You agree to the contract based on the signs in the Supermarket. This system exists because the parking space is on private land and the landlord can control parking through private contracts.
Tiredtraveller wrote: There is no fairness or leniency from Parkkipate.fi - we were pretty tired after a long journey and there was no way we deliberately wanted to break the car parking laws - can anyone please advise us - is there an appeals system?
Parkkipate have said they will take us to court.
You did not break any laws so at this point there is nothing to appeal. Since you have already admitted to actually driving the car and to the contract breach, I would just pay the sum if they can identify you. Otherwise it depends on what the rental company would do when Parkkipate contacts them. They are not allowed to give out your contact details to a third party but could charge some administrative fees.

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:37 pm

betelgeuse wrote:You did not break any laws so at this point there is nothing to appeal. Since you have already admitted to actually driving the car and to the contract breach, I would just pay the sum if they can identify you. Otherwise it depends on what the rental company would do when Parkkipate contacts them. They are not allowed to give out your contact details to a third party but could charge some administrative fees.
Your rental contract might also authorise the rental company to charge the fee from your credit card.

Tiredtraveller

Post by Tiredtraveller » Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:18 pm

Hello Betelgeuse - thank you for your time

May I ask you about this -
It's not a fine. Parkkipate is a private company and only only city officials can give you fines. It's a private contract dispute. You agree to the contract based on the signs in the Supermarket. This system exists because the parking space is on private land and the landlord can control parking through private contracts.
I do understand that retail shops need to control parking, there needs to be parking spaces for potential customers.
The, 'S-Supermarket', car park was 60% empty - we were not stopping anyone from parking and shopping.

If we had unfortunately stayed longer that the two hours allowed, I would be pretty cross that we had incurred a, 'private contract dispute' but would have accepted that we had gone over our allowed time, and reluctantly paid.

But - we did not overstay - we stayed approx 35 minutes and have offered proof (the time we checked into the local hotel and the time stamp on our till receipt), to Parkkipate, that it was physically impossible for us to have been in the, 'S-Supermarket' car park, for more than two hours.

Also - if we did not understand the signage in the car park, and we have explained this to Parkkipate, the response is pretty harsh. I don't know what people feel in Finland, but, to us, 60 Euros is a large amount of money.

English does seem to be the, 'Lingua Franca', in Finland - a short notice under the Parkkipate sign, with -

'Don't forget to set your arrival time on your Parking Clock, before leaving your vehicle', would help the many foreign tourists that must fall foul of this signage.

Foreign tourists must be, 'easy pickings', for Parkkipate
Parkkipate is draconian in its attitude and approach to foreign visitors.

We will look at our rental agreement and see what we can find with regard to what the Rental Company may or may not do.

Once again, Thank you for your time.