Using a US Debit Card in Finland

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
undertakerfreak

Post by undertakerfreak » Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:04 pm

I will be visiting Finland soon from the States; my first time traveling to Europe. I have an American debit card from a small credit union. I called the credit union and asked if I would be able to use my debit card abroad, and they said yes, but with a 0.08% conversion or exchange fee for transactions. My first question is - is a fee that small even possible? I'm used to banks gouging the living crap out of you for everything, no matter how infinitesimal. I want to make sure I didn't misinterpret anything. Secondly, I have a question about the ATMs, in case I want to withdraw cash. What fees am I looking at, in addition to the exchange fee? I know for sure my small credit union doesn't run any ATMs in Finland, so I imagine there's a fee for using a card outside of the network. How much is that fee?

I'm just really nervous that I go to buy a drink or something and I end up bewildered by some hidden fee I wasn't told about. Thank you in advance.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Flossy1978

Re: Using a US Debit Card in Finland

Post by Flossy1978 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:32 am

Why don't you just take out a lump sum every now and then and use cash for everyday things?

This will save you finding hidden fees.