British moving from Australia

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
Badger_Lady

Post by Badger_Lady » Mon Jul 03, 2017 4:57 am

Hi all!

I'm a UK passport holder who's been living in Australia for almost five years now. My family lives mostly in France.

I was approached last month about a job that makes me VERY excited and have been interviewing for it over Skype. This weekend I'm travelling to Helsinki to meet the employers in person (they're paying) and hoping to make a permanent move in August.

I don't have specific questions, just wanted to say hello! Feel free to throw some advice here 8)

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Piet

Re: British moving from Australia

Post by Piet » Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:29 pm

Badger_Lady wrote:Hi all!

I'm a UK passport holder who's been living in Australia for almost five years now. My family lives mostly in France.

I was approached last month about a job that makes me VERY excited and have been interviewing for it over Skype. This weekend I'm travelling to Helsinki to meet the employers in person (they're paying) and hoping to make a permanent move in August.

I don't have specific questions, just wanted to say hello! Feel free to throw some advice here 8)
First advise, if you plan to stay here (for longer than a year) get yourself some daylight lamps for winter time morning and evening, to prevent getting a depression due to lack of daylight (in winter), seriously it helps..!

second: Quit smoking and drinking, those things are beyond reasonably expensive here (and it is better for your health).

3rd: Get used to drunk Finnish men in bars wanting to talk English with you (and other things) once they found out your a foreigner (especially if you are a young female that does not look like godzilla :lol: ).

4th: You might be used to juicy steaks and quality meat on the grill from down under, forget that thought, here the main thing is sausage that is mainly flour and other things than meat, a (real) good steak is a real challenge to find, don't go to a super for that but try to find a real butcher. Otherwise you end up with something similar to chewing gum.

I guess the rest is a surprise :lol:

but be welcome :thumbsup:
If god would give us the source code, we could change the world

Oombongo

Post by Oombongo » Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:23 am

enjoy the good meal and vegetables as much as you can because the quality of produce here is not only expensive but also appalling (comparing it when Southern European countries)
Image Image

SecretCode

Post by SecretCode » Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:28 am

Hi Badger_lady!

Have you visited Finland before?

And out of interest what industry area is the company you're interviewing with?

Badger_Lady

Post by Badger_Lady » Sat Jul 08, 2017 5:09 pm

Piet wrote:
Badger_Lady wrote:Hi all!

First advise, if you plan to stay here (for longer than a year) get yourself some daylight lamps for winter time morning and evening, to prevent getting a depression due to lack of daylight (in winter), seriously it helps..!

second: Quit smoking and drinking, those things are beyond reasonably expensive here (and it is better for your health).

3rd: Get used to drunk Finnish men in bars wanting to talk English with you (and other things) once they found out your a foreigner (especially if you are a young female that does not look like godzilla :lol: ).

4th: You might be used to juicy steaks and quality meat on the grill from down under, forget that thought, here the main thing is sausage that is mainly flour and other things than meat, a (real) good steak is a real challenge to find, don't go to a super for that but try to find a real butcher. Otherwise you end up with something similar to chewing gum.
Thank you!

I feel like I'm winning - I already own a daylight lamp (for jetlag purposes) and I don't eat meat :lol:

Badger_Lady

Post by Badger_Lady » Sat Jul 08, 2017 5:10 pm

SecretCode wrote:Hi Badger_lady!

Have you visited Finland before?

And out of interest what industry area is the company you're interviewing with?
Hello! No, this is my first time (actually I just arrived 2-3 hours ago today).

I work in service design, for consultancies :thumbsup:

Badger_Lady

Post by Badger_Lady » Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:11 pm

So I officially got the job!

I'll be heading to the UK in about 3 weeks, spend a little time with my family, then start in Helsinki in mid-September.

I've been looking at rental apartments online... it's hard to stop myself from just trying to set everything up now!

SecretCode

Post by SecretCode » Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:53 pm

Congrats :D