Health Care in Finland

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
Mizu1993

Health Care in Finland

Post by Mizu1993 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:57 am

Some people say it is good, some people say it is bad.
I am from Austria and I am used that I can go to a doctor whenever I need something and for special things, like dentist or dermatologists, I need to wait for about 2-3 weeks. In my case, I am pregnant in the 6th month and my boyfriend, which is finnish, and me decided to move together to Tampere. He has a good job there and I am workless here, so it would be the best if I move to him and raise a child there. But what I have heard, that it is really hard to get appointments, they might not even help because doctors are missing ? I also have a chronical disease (Morbus Crohn) which needs to be treaten often and with operations. I am also often sick and like I said, I am used to go to a normal doctor and get blood tests immediately, which doesn't exist in Finland to get something immediately. I just wonder what people do when they are sick and need help and medicine. How do you do that?
Also I don't have a job or a school and since my baby will come in November, no one will take me anyway. So what should I do? I was at Kela already, they told me that they will support me when I lived 6 month in Finland fully. Now I am a bit scared of the health care in Finland. Also I already heard from some people that they didn't even got any help even in an emergency case. I might can fly back to get treaten in Austria, but that would be insane.

Health Care in Finland

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

JK_Ironak

Re: Health Care in Finland

Post by JK_Ironak » Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:20 pm

I got married to my finnish boyfriend last year. I got Kela approved 2 weeks after that (it was actually approved coverage for almost 3 months before, when I moved in the country). So if you get married, it should go much fater.

As for waiting lists, I get all my stuff done within the day, but that is my employers health insurance... I don't know what waiting times are in public health care. However, in Croatia, many treatments for life threatening conditions are on 10 month waiting lists... as far as I know, nothing here is that bad.

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:00 pm

Mizu1993 wrote:But what I have heard, that it is really hard to get appointments, they might not even help because doctors are missing ? I also have a chronical disease (Morbus Crohn) which needs to be treaten often and with operations. I am also often sick and like I said, I am used to go to a normal doctor and get blood tests immediately, which doesn't exist in Finland to get something immediately. I just wonder what people do when they are sick and need help and medicine. How do you do that?
You will only need to wait when it's deemed non urgent. For urgent cases, care must be provided immediately.

http://stm.fi/hoitotakuu

doadeer

Post by doadeer » Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:26 pm

Local health clinic allow walk in or calls for same day appointments early in morning usually. If u walk in to a hospital after health clinic closes u get help also if u r very sick. Secondly if u r from Austria yr EU medical card covers u for basic healthcare help in other EU countries isn't it? U can check with Austria how rules r for that before 6 mths in Finland arrives...

Rosamunda

Post by Rosamunda » Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:38 pm

The EU healthcard is for emergency treatment and is only valid for trips abroad that last less than 3 months. It might be useful for the first few weeks when you move here while you get Kela sorted out.

The level and quality of service varies around the country and over time. It is difficult to give you a straight answer.

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:53 pm

Rosamunda wrote:The EU healthcard is for emergency treatment and is only valid for trips abroad that last less than 3 months. It might be useful for the first few weeks when you move here while you get Kela sorted out.
What is your basis for the 3 month statement? EHIC is for temporary stays. Staying over 3 months might mean change of residence and as such change of EHIC provider but I don't think it's always so.

http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/he ... dex_en.htm

Rosamunda

Post by Rosamunda » Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:55 am

OK. Maybe old information then. I guess it depends on the issuing country.

IS this still current? It contains some useful information (in English).
http://www.kela.fi/documents/12099/1966 ... 5f68cd480d

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:41 pm

Rosamunda wrote:IS this still current? It contains some useful information (in English).
http://www.kela.fi/documents/12099/1966 ... 5f68cd480d
Probably. Did not check the details.

Piet

Post by Piet » Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:55 am

Mizu1993 wrote:Some people say it is good, some people say it is bad.
I am from Austria ................. I was at Kela already, they told me that they will support me when I lived 6 month in Finland fully. Now I am a bit scared of the health care in Finland. Also I already heard from some people that they didn't even got any help even in an emergency case. I might can fly back to get treaten in Austria, but that would be insane.
Please please do get married right now (in Finland) with your boyfriend, you will have (almost) immediate access to everything you need after you are registered as living in Finland. And it will prevent so much hassle with the nationality and rights of your child and the father with rights to the child and vice versa.

Getting married can be done pretty quick with maistraati (no church needed). And if in the long term it does not work out with your boyfriend, there is always the option of divorce later. But then in any case you do not need to prove later (DNA) that your child is from a Finn so the child keeps his/her rights and you can (if you want) stay in Finland because you take care of a minor Finnish citizen, your child).

I remember you saying in another post that Kela told you that getting married does not matter, they are wrong, it does make all sooooo much easier, all these problems you experience now with kela and other official bureaucratic institutes will diminish greatly. (You will get other problems with them anyway, that is how they work but at least you covered your ass for now).

So please please in the interest of your health and that of your coming child, do get married a.s.a.p. just both of you go to maistraatti and make an appointment for as soon as they have time for you, make sure you have two witnesses willing to be there and sign the marriage papers.

http://maistraatti.fi/en/Services/marriage/

P.S. For the purpose of keeping your current passport and not needing to change anything with your last name involved, you might want to keep your own surname as it is.
If god would give us the source code, we could change the world