Teaching in Finland/or babysitter/nanny

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
jessica123

Post by jessica123 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:53 pm

Hi my name is Jess and I will soon be moving to Lapua, Finland. I am looking for a teaching position or working at a day care. I am certified in TEFL and TESOL. Does anyone know of schools I can look into/ schools that are hiring? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!! aid no schools are hiring, does anyone know of any companies in Lapua or near Lapua that would hire an American?

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

tavastia

Re: Teaching in Finland/or babysitter/nanny

Post by tavastia » Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:32 am

You cannot work in any teaching position without the local qualifications. Even "helper" into childcare is requires some qualification. You may try some private English childcare / school which I doubt exist in Lapua...

Rosamunda

Re: Teaching in Finland/or babysitter/nanny

Post by Rosamunda » Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:45 am

tavastia wrote:You cannot work in any teaching position without the local qualifications
Not completely true.

Working as a language trainer in the private sector is possible but you will only get work on a freelance basis - no contract as such, no regular pay, no regular hours or any benefits. Try contacting a company like AAC Global - they operate all over Finland so they might be able to offer you a few hours in Seinäjoki, Vaasa etc (you will need to be very mobile). The TEFL cert is not enough to get you a job in the public sector teaching in a school, college or university. For that you would need a degree plus a post-grad teaching diploma but you can always study for those once you get here.

The best way of finding unskilled work is through family, friends and other contacts. In Ostrobothnia many immigrants are employed in farming, greenhouse work etc.