Car change brake discs and pads

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
atroul

Post by atroul » Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:25 pm

Hello,
my car's steering wheel is shaking hard when I use the brakes so probably I will need to change the discs and the pads.
Do you know what is the price for that? Any good place to change them in the area of turku?
Thank you

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

tavastia

Re: Car change brake discs and pads

Post by tavastia » Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:31 am

You can try to request some offer from smaller services from this: https://autojerry.fi/

rupun

Post by rupun » Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:45 am

or go to Tallin, prices way cheaper, and work quality is ok as well.

tavastia

Post by tavastia » Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:35 am

Just for disk breaks and pads is not worth to travel to Tallinn. Will cost you min 150€ the boat return trip. I know some small service in Tuusula I can give you the number on PM if you want. They charge 45€ / h which is half then other services do. But atuojerry is very good in finding the best offer near your home.

Piet

Post by Piet » Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:27 am

atroul wrote:Hello,
my car's steering wheel is shaking hard when I use the brakes so probably I will need to change the discs and the pads.
Do you know what is the price for that? Any good place to change them in the area of turku?
Thank you
You need not only change the pads and the disk, there is a reason why the disk got warped, most common reason is stuck pistons in the calliper. So best thing is to change this too. Otherwise you have the same problem soon again with the new disk.

But you will notice this when you are changing the disk and pads, the piston(s) need to be pressed back into the calliper (clean them real good before you do this, otherwise if they weren't stuck, they will for sure be after that). (Most) shops never do this!!!If you cannot press them back relatively easy, it needs maintenance, most easy is to buy replacement at biltema. (no pantti).

good luck
If god would give us the source code, we could change the world

atroul

Post by atroul » Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:45 am

Well I was in a hurry because I had to leave Finland so I changed then in Alanko Kai. They charged me 400 euros for the front brake discs and front and rear brakes shoes.
And fixing the handbrake. The total was 400 euros and I dont know if I have to cry or laugh, in Greece I would pay something like 150~200

Piet

Post by Piet » Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:32 am

atroul wrote:Well I was in a hurry because I had to leave Finland so I changed then in Alanko Kai. They charged me 400 euros for the front brake discs and front and rear brakes shoes.
And fixing the handbrake. The total was 400 euros and I dont know if I have to cry or laugh, in Greece I would pay something like 150~200
Front brake disks cost me 50€ each 30€ for a rear disk (OEM) (motonet)
Pads cost 35€ a set front (brembo) and about 20€ rear (ATE) (motonet)
brake fluid Brembo, 30€ (5L) (motonet)
So without the rear disks, the price would be 240€ and then you have to do it yourself incl bleeding the brakes after changing the fluid (must do), and fix the hand brake.
So the guy worked on it for about 2 hours a 80€ an hour ? If I do it it takes 3 times as long ( I am not in a hurry and want to clean everything first).

I guess the 400 euro's was a bargain anyway and when you have this done in Greece for 150, than you get used or B quality parts and can do it again in a month. I wouldn't get into your car.
One advise: never try to save money on your brakes!!! and if you can, do it yourself, than you know for sure it has been done properly. (see my remark about professionals in Finland in another post about electric work in Espoo) 8)

PJG

Post by PJG » Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:54 am

It's completely pointless comparing the price paid for parts and labour when neither of you have identified the make, model and year of your cars! :D

I've changed front disks and pads all around for €100 materials cost (incl. fluid) plus my own time, using OE parts on one car and have paid €700 for OE parts to do the front brakes alone for a different car. Apples and oranges.

Also, a disk will warp if it's hot and then cooled rapidly, like when you brake to slow from say 100kph before driving into pooling water on the road. How susceptible this is depends on the type and thickness of the disk, the pads etc but it certainly happens. It will happen much easier when the disk is approaching or has exceeded the wear limits, especially if it's a vented type.

Piet

Post by Piet » Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:08 pm

PJG wrote:It's completely pointless comparing the price paid for parts and labour when neither of you have identified the make, model and year of your cars! :D
Agreed to a certain limit :mrgreen:
PJG wrote: I've changed front disks and pads all around for €100 materials cost (incl. fluid) plus my own time, using OE parts on one car and have paid €700 for OE parts to do the front brakes alone for a different car. Apples and oranges.
For 100€ all around must be a real small car, sound like a mopo car :lol: of course I used an average price for an average car. but that was not the point of the post, the point was not to save money on breaks!! :wink:
PJG wrote: Also, a disk will warp if it's hot and then cooled rapidly, like when you brake to slow from say 100kph before driving into pooling water on the road. How susceptible this is depends on the type and thickness of the disk, the pads etc but it certainly happens. It will happen much easier when the disk is approaching or has exceeded the wear limits, especially if it's a vented type.
In the situation you mention, with a normal car this should never happen, than the disks are way way beyond their safety limits and the car shouldn't have been allowed on the road. (that said, they rarely check this at katsastus).
The point is that the stuck pistons make the disk hot all the time even without breaking, or especially just after breaking because they keep breaking all the time after you used your break the first time. This makes them warp, especially when you then drive through a puddle of water. the disks get so much hotter in this case that even the newest disks are getting warped.

The reason for mentioning this is that the common reason for pistons to get sluggish and stuck in the calliper, is exactly because of those "huolto" guys changing your pads without cleaning the pistons first. that was the point there... but... who cares, OP had it done and lets see what happens after a while, if he had good service or the shady one :lol: